2024 MLB Thread + Hot Stove Off Season

Oh I know :cry:
Sadly TV Revenue is the name of the game.
I heard the latest talks are that the new "MLB Ticket" will be full of action for 16 teams hahah. How crazy is that? Your league season pass will only have half the teams in it because the others say f**k you.

Sadly TV Revenue is the name of the game.
I heard the latest talks are that the new "MLB Ticket" will be full of action for 16 teams hahah. How crazy is that? Your league season pass will only have half the teams in it because the others say f**k you.

Ya, that is just silly - Makes ZERO sense.

I am fortunate that the Cardinals are not blacked out here on MLB.TV

BUT if I wanted to watch the Royals, don't really have an easy option. Blacked out on MLB.TV and Youtube TV doesn't have Bally Sports KC - It is all just a mess

Ya, that is just silly - Makes ZERO sense.

I am fortunate that the Cardinals are not blacked out here on MLB.TV

BUT if I wanted to watch the Royals, don't really have an easy option. Blacked out on MLB.TV and Youtube TV doesn't have Bally Sports KC - It is all just a mess
Yeah that is fortunate. If Amazon takes over, I believe some of this changes. Not all though.
And MLB wants to go with all teams, like Sunday Ticket, but its just not happening without large markets saying okay. Literally 4-5 teams are making decisions for all of MLB on how TV operates.

But until that time, at least we can watch and enjoy and hope another lockout doesnt happen soon.

@echico

Astros are 4-9 and I know we notoriously start slow, but man this is rough. Too many LOB and middle relief has been a mess. Then there is this, can't win with this much quality on the DL

Good news is the M's aren't taking advantage of it and I'm not sure anyone is scared of the Angels.

@echico

Astros are 4-9 and I know we notoriously start slow, but man this is rough. Too many LOB and middle relief has been a mess. Then there is this, can't win with this much quality on the DL

Are they Royals a bad matchup for you guys, or just random the success they've had against you recently?

Are they Royals a bad matchup for you guys, or just random the success they've had against you recently?
They are playing well and we can't find a starting rotation. Situational hitting is trash and too many LOB.

They are playing well and we can't find a starting rotation. Situational hitting is trash and too many LOB.
They were talking about how they won 5 of 6 against them coming down the stretch last year too. I know they're on fire this year so far, but was surprised by that. Probably just random.

Absolutely. Baseball is in a good spot from a talent perspective that is for sure.
Guys are definitely more ready at draft than ever before.
And trading for prospects is basically the way to compete. KC has a lot of young talent, and they will be able to keep a few of them, maybe.

Guys are definitely more ready at draft than ever before.
And trading for prospects is basically the way to compete. KC has a lot of young talent, and they will be able to keep a few of them, maybe.

I emphasized talent perspective for a reason :ROFLMAO: - definitely not in a good spot 'overall'

As for KC - I agree - They were smart to lock up Bobby Witt Jr. who is a star in the making.

The hard part is if a small-market team misses on one or two of those early gambles - it cripples them for YEARS

I emphasized talent perspective for a reason :ROFLMAO: - definitely not in a good spot 'overall'

As for KC - I agree - They were smart to lock up Bobby Witt Jr. who is a star in the making.

The hard part is if a small-market team misses on one or two of those early gambles - it cripples them for YEARS
Definitely. Plus you have to pay premium during the first 4-5 years when they normally are not making much. So in the end it kind of evens out.
The downfall of course is like you said, whiff and you are crippled. Im looking at Tampa right now with that huge contract sitting there and saying, they have no chance of signing these players long term. Yandy is locked up for a couple of more. Arozarena is the biggest fan favorite, so maybe? But I doubt it. Josh Lowe? Most likely no chance. We saw what happened with pitching, and until the Wander news drops or they get out of it somehow, no shot.

Your Cards are one of the most unique because market size makes them smaller, but baseball love makes them larger. But I hear recently ticket sales aren't great there so not sure where they go. Will they sign their prospects long term?

Definitely. Plus you have to pay premium during the first 4-5 years when they normally are not making much. So in the end it kind of evens out.
The downfall of course is like you said, whiff and you are crippled. Im looking at Tampa right now with that huge contract sitting there and saying, they have no chance of signing these players long term. Yandy is locked up for a couple of more. Arozarena is the biggest fan favorite, so maybe? But I doubt it. Josh Lowe? Most likely no chance. We saw what happened with pitching, and until the Wander news drops or they get out of it somehow, no shot.

Your Cards are one of the most unique because market size makes them smaller, but baseball love makes them larger. But I hear recently ticket sales aren't great there so not sure where they go. Will they sign their prospects long term?

They haven't historically locked up guys young - I would love to see them try and get something done with Nolan Gorman sooner rather than later.

RE: Ticket Sales - Correct. Attendance is abysmal - People are tired of the ownership, but at the end of the day - it is a numbers game, and while the Dewitt family has a lot of it, it is still a business at the end of the day.

This team has seen YEARS of consistent success, last year was a wake-up call, and with a slow start this year, people are putting their wallets where their mouths are (or lack thereof) and not spending money to go to the games.

They haven't historically locked up guys young - I would love to see them try and get something done with Nolan Gorman sooner rather than later.

RE: Ticket Sales - Correct. Attendance is abysmal - People are tired of the ownership, but at the end of the day - it is a numbers game, and while the Dewitt family has a lot of it, it is still a business at the end of the day.

This team has seen YEARS of consistent success, last year was a wake-up call, and with a slow start this year, people are putting their wallets where their mouths are (or lack thereof) and not spending money to go to the games.
Thats a tough spot for that city I would imagine. With the TV deal in place, they are getting killed compared to where they were previously. Closer to Marlins money than that of LA, NY money that is for sure. I know in MLB its always easy to blame the owners, and in Miami it might actually make some sense, but I mean there are what, 20 teams in MLB that are currently playing the same game. Basically following the Rays playbook of either lock them up young and hope it pans out or trade them right at the 4-5 year mark and start the process over.

@echico

Add Verlander and Urquidy to that list. An entire starting rotation on the IL. Nobody feels bad for us so there is that.

Add Verlander and Urquidy to that list. An entire starting rotation on the IL. Nobody feels bad for us so there is that.
Vice Tv Nodding GIF by STICK TO SPORTS

I must have missed you weeping about the Rays losing their entire rotation :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Heres a good one for you @ddec

Jordan Montgomery has ditched Boras and gone with a new agency.

Back