2024 Better You Fitness Thread

I am sore today...

Today was squat PRs, I did way better than I thought I would. We did 2-4 gear up sets and then two chances at a 1 rep max. I ended up with a 200lb 1 rep max.

Chest press was a measly 95lbs haha. My lower half is clearly stronger. Tomorrow is pull ups. At least I can use bands because no chance I can do a single unassisted pull up.
Yesterday was build up to 1 rep max on DB bench for me, I finally got 2 reps with the 100lb DBs. Kind of crazy to think in January I was maxing with 75 lbs on them to where I am at now. Also, starting with a PR and then trying to get through the rest of the workout was something else...

Yesterday was build up to 1 rep max on DB bench for me, I finally got 2 reps with the 100lb DBs. Kind of crazy to think in January I was maxing with 75 lbs on them to where I am at now. Also, starting with a PR and then trying to get through the rest of the workout was something else...
I don't love PR days because I don't actually feel like I get a great workout, but it is really exciting when you see how much stronger you have gotten.

Upper day: DB overhead presses, Cable chest flies, Lat pull-downs, Pendlay rows, Cable lateral raise/Tricep push-down supersets.

Ok, the KB swing challenge is going better. I have been doing 20 rounds of 10 or 15 per minute with a rest to EOM. I started trying to do 15 per round for 20 rounds to get to 300. I couldn't do that last week but today I was able to do 15 rounds of 15 reps and 5 of 10. So 275 total. Then I did a couple rounds to get the full 300. I think I will have no problem getting the 20 rounds of 15 by next week. I am going to try and do it Thursday when I start my next 2 of 3 day cycle.

Bench presses, a top single and then 4x5. Supersetted presses and bent over dumbbell rows. In and out of the gym in 45 minutes.

Bike ride = leg day, right @MWard?

Heavy upper day and kettle swing oblivion

I did it!!! I got 1 and 3/4 unassisted pull ups. I was sooooo close to the 2nd one but just couldn't quite get there. I'm not usually one to pat myself on the back, but I am really proud of myself for this one. I never in a million years thought I could do an unassisted pull up, and was seriously THIS close to that second one, I'm talking 1/2 an inch if that.

Lower day: Front squats, Romanian deadlifts, Leg extension/curl supersets, Decline ab crunch/Standing calf raise supersets.

Everything from the waist down feels pretty tired :)

Heavy leg day
Squats
Leg press
Deadlift

I did it!!! I got 1 and 3/4 unassisted pull ups. I was sooooo close to the 2nd one but just couldn't quite get there. I'm not usually one to pat myself on the back, but I am really proud of myself for this one. I never in a million years thought I could do an unassisted pull up, and was seriously THIS close to that second one, I'm talking 1/2 an inch if that.
Had a PR day today on pullups. I got 7 total. This is something I need to get back to work on. Back in 2013 when I did boot camp classes focused on this kind of work, I could do pullups as much as I wanted. Miss being able to do that.

I work hard on my dips, and can do them so well now. Really going to start working on pullups.

Today is supposed to be deadlift PR day, but I am SO sore from this week that I am not sure I will push for a PR and rather just get in a workout, but we will see.
Good luck! I gave up deadlifts years ago, no matter how hard I tried my form is just awful and it wrecked my back. I always liked doing them, but just couldnt get it down. I just have to live life vicariously through @blugold and the content he shares!

Good luck! I gave up deadlifts years ago, no matter how hard I tried my form is just awful and it wrecked my back. I always liked doing them, but just couldnt get it down. I just have to live life vicariously through @blugold and the content he shares!
This is the obligatory mention, if you ever want to learn how to deadlift in a way that will not hurt your back, I'm very certain you can, and I would be more than happy to get you in touch with somebody down there to help. There is a gym in Tampa that can help.

Not sure if your Eos has one, but I did my deadlifts on a machine that kinda reminded me of a wheel barrel cause the handles are longer. It was also good cause it was near a mirror, so I could keep an eye on my form and make sure I wasn’t rounding my back.

This is the obligatory mention, if you ever want to learn how to deadlift in a way that will not hurt your back, I'm very certain you can, and I would be more than happy to get you in touch with somebody down there to help. There is a gym in Tampa that can help.
What gym is this?

So happy being back to south side Chicago gyms.They are sweat and iron thru and thru.Those south west gyms with cleaning wipes every 5 feet are a little excessive

Last edited:
Not sure if your Eos has one, but I did my deadlifts on a machine that kinda reminded me of a wheel barrel cause the handles are longer. It was also good cause it was near a mirror, so I could keep an eye on my form and make sure I wasn’t rounding my back.
I shall have to see. I dont usually make my way to that part of the gym (odd shape with squat racks and what not in a secluded area).

You mean the guys at the Crossfit gym I was going to back in 2019 werent the right people to teach me?

I shall have to see. I dont usually make my way to that part of the gym (odd shape with squat racks and what not in a secluded area).
It’s in the forbidden leg area, I get it

It’s in the forbidden leg area, I get it
Exactly the spot.

Every time I wander toward that direction, I hear you telling me "This is not the way."

Exactly the spot.

Every time I wander toward that direction, I hear you telling me "This is not the way."
I have one device over there at mine that I use for landmine back work and I have to pass by the carnage.

IMG_0840.gif

What gym is this?
My guess is probably this one: Starting Strength - Tampa

I stopped doing BB DLs because they were a hassle and I spent as much time, or more, working to maintain good form as actually lifting. So now it's trap bar DLs, RDLs, and Pendlay rows for me.

Back