Search results for query: *

1. alistaird

Callaway Apex Pro 21 3 Iron or Forged X UT?

Hi, Struggling a bit with my fairway woods and never been able to hit hybrids so I'm looking at one or other of Apex Pro 21 3 Iron (to match the rest of the irons), or Forged X UT in 21* I'm hitting the Apex Pro 4i well at the moment so as a replacement for my Heaven Wood (until I can hit it...
  2. alistaird

Face Control/Feel

Ever since I returned to playing after 20+ years off, I've always struggled to control the closure of the face on full swings. I used to have a natural draw but though my swing mechanics have improved and I am more comfortable with every club in the bag - my shape is generally straight but the...
  3. alistaird

Modifying a Putter into an Arm Lock Design

I nearly bought an Arm Lock putter off CPO but then started thinking about creating my own. I'm interested in trying something different and then started to think about whether I could modify one of the putters I don't use into an Arm Lock. Ideally I'd like the process to be reversible if it...
  4. alistaird

Driver and FWs Off the Tee

This is not a swing technique question but a swing thought/feel question about other THPers experience, I‘ve been struggling with Driver and FWs off the Tee whist Heavenwood and 3W have been good off the deck especially the HW. In fact, Driver has only been about 10-15 yards further off the...
  5. alistaird

Another First Driver Fitting Thread....

I know another one.... I've never had a full fitting - we've looked at lie angles and tried the odd different shaft in lessons but never a full fitting of Irons, Wedges or Woods, but in my lesson last night, the new (to me) Apex Pro 21s were going really nicely (we only hit a few), the Rogue...
  6. alistaird

Short Game Work Helping Full Swing?

Hi All, Been doing a lot of work on the short game - finesse wedges and some distance wedges. It's been my main area of focus for the last couple of months, with very little work on the full swing apart from a few to warm up, generally without a ball. Well did some work on the full swing...
  7. alistaird

Vega Wedges - No Topics?

Just bought 3 Vega Wedges. First impressions are really positive albeit off my mat and only with finesse wedge shots but all three are really soft feeling and the bounce seems great on sub 50 yard shots. Just wondering why there’s so little discussion on THP? A Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. alistaird

Anyone gone from graphite to steel?

Always played graphite shafts in my Irons... Even before my 20+ year layoff. Currently have Steelfibers in the Irons and steel in 2 of 3 wedges. Experimenting with a Nippon Modus 120 in a PW with very good results. Anyone moved away from Graphite into Steel and why? A Sent from my SM-F711B...
  9. alistaird

Interesting Offer from my Coach

I’ve been taking regular lessons from the same guy for about 18 months since I returned to golf…. Been making steady progress in scoring down form high 90s to mid - low 80s with a couple in the 70s. Handicap should be less than 1/2 what it was if I win the argument with our club secretary (he...
  10. alistaird

Strange Results from Different Lofts/Shafts/Heads

I've been using Callaway Epic Forged Irons for a while now and supplemented them with Jaws wedges... I found some distance consistency issues with the GW/AW/PW with the Epics - not drastic but bigger than my coach wanted to see to sharpen up my approach play. So I bought (from CPO) PW - 7i in...
  11. alistaird

THPers in (The Original and not New) England

All, Though I spent some time as a kid in New England, I'm from England and currently reside in England and I didn't see a discussion thread on here for those of us this side of the Pond and that side of the Channel.... I took the name back up after a 20+ year gap at 60 and enjoy it but do not...
  12. alistaird

Different Swing for Driver?

I’ve made some progress on my iron swing and am reasonably consistent around 1-2* in to out. I do have a tendency to leave the club face open at impact but am working that out. But when I tee up a driver off the leading heel, the impact line ends up a few degrees out to in. As with most...
  13. alistaird

What’s the Most Inspiring Thing Your Golf Coach Has Said About Your Swing?

All, During my lesson last night my coach said something which he hadn’t said before which really inspired me and made the hours of practice worthwhile and will keep me going towards my target of halving my handicap in 12 months. He actually said it twice. ”Wow, that was a real golf swing!”...
  14. alistaird

Toulon Austin Carbon - Small Batch

If only I had the money lying around... Toulon Austin Carbon Small Batch Apologies if posted elsewhere... A
  15. alistaird

WTB Callaway Apex 21 Pro (Heads Only)

A bit of a hopeful post.... I'm looking to try and build a combo set and would like PW, 9i and 8i in Callaway Apex Pro 21s but head only as I will be putting Steelfiber FC90s in them to match my Epic Forged in the longer irons. I'm in the UK but am happy to pay shipping from across the pond if...
  16. alistaird

New Arccos User Question

Hi Just given up and returned my Garmin Club Sensors and replaced them with Arccos Sensors, Android App and Samsung Galaxy Watch. Question - how do you end a hole? Neither on the watch nor the App can I see how. Our course has one closed hole and we play the front 9 in a different order so not...
  17. alistaird

Driver and Ball Position

I've been struggling with Driver - a real mix of straight left, straight right and the occasional straight straight :) I play the driver off the left heel - I'm right handed, and basically line up feet together, splay the left foot slightly, step out with the right foot. Now I also have a...
  18. alistaird

Back Nine vs Front Nine?

Almost all of my recent rounds have been around 5-10 shots worse on the back 9 than the front 9... No matter what course I am playing, and I'm convinced it's a mental thing as much as anything. Last round 4 pars and 5 bogies on the front 9 on a course I've only played a couple of times and...
  19. alistaird

Callaway Headcover number disc

Anyone know where to get these? A Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
  20. alistaird

Wedge Gap Problem

Hi All, Did some wedge yardage practice yesterday in my lesson to look at yardages as I'm hitting over the greens a bit too much and getting into needless trouble! This is what we found for full swings: AW - 46* - 113y GW - 51* - 100y SW - 56* - 80y LW - 60* - 65y ULW - 64* - 50y (but not in...
Back