Which Neighbor Are You?

Our little community only has 21 houses and I’m on the HOA board. So I know everyone, wave as a first response and offer help when needed.

But to describe myself as a neighbor, I’m the “don’t have a single weed in my yard and definitely pass judgement on all others’ failings in that matter”.

Our little community only has 21 houses and I’m on the HOA board. So I know everyone, wave as a first response and offer help when needed.

But to describe myself as a neighbor, I’m the “don’t have a single weed in my yard and definitely pass judgement on all others’ failings in that matter”.
Bought a house this time last year that needed more than a little TLC in that area. Went from yellow ‘lawn’ with lots of bare spots and weeds to lush green, no weeds, and just a few small bare spots to go. Getting there.

The kind of neighbor who helps his neighbors without them asking. Everything from snowblowing and storm damage removal to asking strangers what their business is. One guy told me he wishes I was his neighbor.

I’m the very rarely have a few drinks with neighbors guy who mostly keeps to himself. The two more sociable neighbors moved away a few years back and those who moved in, all nice, but are much like we are in keeping to themselves.

So it’s a quiet existence on the block. But what’s a little funny is that because our young niece befriended our neighbor’s daughter, their daughter now knows me by my "name".

"Uncle Billy."

I mean, she shouts it for all the world to hear. And then, some of the other neighborhood kids started to call me that, too.

Absolutely no degree of my tirelessly trying to correct them had worked. Heck, I don’t mind what any kid calls me as long as respect is intended. I just don’t want the parents to think that I’m some weirdo encouraging the neighborhood kids to call me Uncle Billy. I did speak to some of the parents about just that. Some were amused enough to start calling me Uncle Billy, too. I can’t win, LOL…

This spring? Maybe some change. As the kids have gotten older, the uncle part seems to be way less. I’ve actually only heard it from the neighbor’s kid so far. Whew…

I’m the very rarely have a few drinks with neighbors guy who mostly keeps to himself. The two more sociable neighbors moved away a few years back and those who moved in, all nice, but are much like we are in keeping to themselves.

So it’s a quiet existence on the block. But what’s a little funny is that because our young niece befriended our neighbor’s daughter, their daughter now knows me by my "name".

"Uncle Billy."

I mean, she shouts it for all the world to hear. And then, some of the other neighborhood kids started to call me that, too.

Absolutely no degree of my tirelessly trying to correct them had worked. Heck, I don’t mind what any kid calls me as long as respect is intended. I just don’t want the parents to think that I’m some weirdo encouraging the neighborhood kids to call me Uncle Billy. I did speak to some of the parents about just that. Some were amused enough to start calling me Uncle Billy, too. I can’t win, LOL…

This spring? Maybe some change. As the kids have gotten older, the uncle part seems to be way less. I’ve actually only heard it from the neighbor’s kid so far. Whew…
We used to go camping with a bunch of our friends (50-60 of them). One year one of our friends brought along their 5-year-old niece, whom I had not met. In introducing herself she asked about my name. I told her I was Mr. Simmons. Her head went down briefly them looked up at me and said, "That's too hard. I'll call you Bob." So, I was Bob the whole trip...and not just to her.

We used to go camping with a bunch of our friends (50-60 of them). One year one of our friends brought along their 5-year-old niece, whom I had not met. In introducing herself she asked about my name. I told her I was Mr. Simmons. Her head went down briefly them looked up at me and said, "That's too hard. I'll call you Bob." So, I was Bob the whole trip...and not just to her.
🤣😂

Man... that's absolutely precious, "Bob."

Uncle Billy approves.

😜

Back