Shot Scope Software - Data, Updates, Features, Requests and Questions

Beyond tee shots, does anyone know a feature or shortcut for tracking penalties vs clubs? Or is it a matter of looking through my rounds and manually recording them on paper or a spreadsheet?

@GavinwithaR1 My Strategy takes elevation / slope into consideration if one so chooses. Can "slope" be added to the X5 that would be an additional setting that could be enabled or disabled? Also, a lot of GPS apps have now added slope. Any plans to add slope to the GPS functionality of the app?

I just mentioned this same thing in another forum. Seems like a no-brainer considering it only requires the use of publicly available data (the same dataset they use to map courses).

@GavinwithaR1 My Strategy takes elevation / slope into consideration if one so chooses. Can "slope" be added to the X5 that would be an additional setting that could be enabled or disabled? Also, a lot of GPS apps have now added slope. Any plans to add slope to the GPS functionality of the app?

I just mentioned this same thing in another forum. Seems like a no-brainer considering it only requires the use of publicly available data (the same dataset they use to map courses).
Can they pull slope and elevation changes off off google maps? Curious as to how in depth those maps are as that’s how the mapping is done.

So this is a good question.

The reason apps have it is that they use a different API and it is hard to get exact data for the watches.

Nothing worse than providing the wrong information.

We are researching this however and the key is getting correct data, I am unsure how accurate the apps actually are in places.

So this is a good question.

The reason apps have it is that they use a different API and it is hard to get exact data for the watches.

We are researching this however and the key is getting correct data, I am unsure how accurate the apps actually are in places.
That’s really interesting that the watch and app use different APIs. I‘ll have more questions at the experience from the tech side on the differences.

I would have guessed that the GPS coordinates are cross-referenced with LiDAR data. I know that LiDAR data is used heavily in designing simulator courses. It wouldn't surprise me if it is also used for mapping courses for tracking apps, although satellite imagery might be sufficient. LiDAR data would give you some information about vegetation and structures, and also elevation data can be derived from it (for more information from the USGS, see here: https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-difference-between-lidar-data-and-digital-elevation-model-dem). I don't know if LiDAR data is used in green mapping or if the nuances there require something more precise.

Of course, I am sure that if it was very easy, it would have already been done, so there's probably more to it. It is interesting that Gavin says that what you are seeing from competitors may not be totally accurate for various reasons, which I can certainly believe.

What accuracy level do you feel you achieve with the chips and technology Shot Scope uses in your GPS devices and apps? GPS itself isn't all that accurate to start with. Based on where I mark the hole location and where it is shown often times when I go to edit my rounds, the accuracy of the watch has to be close to "Standard GPS" accuracy, which, with a clear view of the sky, has accuracy of 3 to 5 meters (10 to 16 feet). I would assume to get even better accuracy is a costly proposition.

Is there an easy way to see all shots taken by club and then edit some of those shots? I know I have taken shots with my 7 iron to get out of trouble and failed to mark them as positional, skewing the stats for that club.

It would be nice to be able to see all shots by club, click on a shot to go to the round, and then edit the shot to make it positional.

I need to pay more attention when editing the round to mark as positional.

Is there an easy way to see all shots taken by club and then edit some of those shots? I know I have taken shots with my 7 iron to get out of trouble and failed to mark them as positional, skewing the stats for that club.

It would be nice to be able to see all shots by club, click on a shot to go to the round, and then edit the shot to make it positional.

I need to pay more attention when editing the round to mark as positional.
Would love this feature for removing a huge miss from MyStrategy dispersion cones as well. Maybe be able to select a shot and exclude it from counting in MyStrategy

@GavinwithaR1 App Feature Requests
When working in MyStrategy, I found that on my home course, penalty areas are not really marked in the course map. Larger ponds are usually acknowledged as water, but there are areas that on the overhead map look like playable area, but in reality are either red-staked, virtually unplayable, or in some cases OB and should not be counted the same as a shot into the rough. There are also a handful of bunkers that are not being recognized. This ends up skewing my numbers and making some target areas look more favorable than they really are.

But, my question, is there a way to allow users to re-classify areas on the course to increase the accuracy of the "Shots to Finish" table in MyStrategy? It would be great if you could save it to your profile so the edits won't be shown on the global course maps as that could get quite messy, and it would be a huge lift to ask the SS team to try to log some of these nuances for every single course.

Second, is it possible when displaying Strokes Gained numbers in the dashboard to have an option to see what my handicap would be for each category? If I lose 2 strokes off the tee to a scratch HCP, it's not the same as saying I drove the ball like a 2 HCP that round. I know one of the other SG tracking apps does this so it may be proprietary.

Last edited:
@GavinwithaR1 App Feature Requests
When working in MyStrategy, I found that on my home course, penalty areas are not really marked in the course map. Larger ponds are usually acknowledged as water, but there are areas that on the overhead map look like playable area, but in reality are either red-staked, virtually unplayable, or in some cases OB and should not be counted the same as a shot into the rough. There are also a handful of bunkers that are not being recognized. This ends up skewing my numbers and making some target areas look more favorable than they really are.

But, my question, is there a way to allow users to re-classify areas on the course to increase the accuracy of the "Shots to Finish" table in MyStrategy? It would be great if you could save it to your profile so the edits won't be shown on the global course maps as that could get quite messy, and it would be a huge lift to ask the SS team to try to log some of these nuances for every single course.

Second, is it possible when displaying Strokes Gained numbers in the dashboard to have an option to see what my handicap would be for each category? If I lose 2 strokes off the tee to a scratch HCP, it's not the same as saying I drove the ball like a 2 HCP that round. I know one of the other SG tracking apps does this so it may be proprietary.
Just in case you weren't aware, you can change the lie of a shot to whatever you want. So if you were for example in an a bunker IRL but that bunker is not mapped on the course, you can manually edit each shot to whatever lie you think is appropriate.

In my experience the Shot Scope team is ready and willing to make course updates big and small. My home course has added some tee boxes over the last few years and I just submitted a ticket with a screenshot, hole details, etc. and the course was updated very quickly.

Recently Shot Scope actually re-mapped my home course. This is my 3rd season with Shot Scope and the previous 2 seasons I generally had no issues with how the edges of lies were mapped (sans the new tee box type stuff). This year it appeared the Google provided aerial map had updated and I was having tons of issues with the edges of lies being in weird spots - greens being fairways, fringe being rough, that type of thing. I sent a ticket in with some examples and after some back and forth about what I meant by the lines being off, they put it in a queue to be remapped and it was done within a couple days. I've only played 9 since then but didn't notice any subsequent issues when editing that 9.

All that to say I think in general, capturing nuances of courses is definitely within their support teams' wheelhouse, and I'd recommend submitting support tickets for your course when ever you come across them.

In my experience the Shot Scope team is ready and willing to make course updates big and small
Absolutely! At my course, they replaced all the greens and tee boxes last summer, enlarging some of the greens by as much as 30%. Google finally updated their aerial views, but they were taken during construction. The tee boxes and greens all look like brown dirt. The tee boxes are not an issue, but it is impossible with the current serial views to define the actual greens and fringes. Shot Scope, at my request, did remap both tee boxes and greens based on the construction views, and it is still better being mapped with the those views than continuing to be mapped with the old views. Eventually, when Google gets to update those views to show the greens and tees after the grass has grown in, Shot Scope will have to remap the course again, but, if experience is any indication, it will be done quickly.

All that to say I think in general, capturing nuances of courses is definitely within their support teams' wheelhouse, and I'd recommend submitting support tickets for your course when ever you come across them.
I've had kind of a mixed bag when requesting re-maps. I still have issues on my course with greens being classified as rough even though Google Maps is up to date but I'm definitely willing to submit again and try to be more descriptive in my request.

What I assume would be a much more difficult scenario for the team to update would be something like this hole (black outline) and the red hazard area:

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 10.55.54 AM.png

When looking at it on Google maps, there's no way to see that the area in red is staked as hazard and is (virtually) unplayable. It just looks like rough up to the small stream down the middle. When I look at this hole in MyStrategy, aiming into this area does not acknowledge Water as a potential outcome so it skews the numbers to look like the best play is to go right at the hole. Admittedly on this hole the fairway is far enough left of this that I can move my target there and see accurate numbers, but there are other examples where there's a risk/reward element of hitting driver vs. clubbing down to not bring trouble into play and the numbers don't reflect the risk portion, therefore making it look like driver is the better play.
Another example would be holes where the fairway pinches down and is surrounded by trees. There's no way to know from an arial map if the trees are jail or if you'll be able to play out of them and don't have to be as wary about missing there.

At the end of the day, MyStrategy is meant to quantify the potential outcomes of aiming to different areas on the course. When penalty areas are not accounted for, it skews the numbers and limits it's usefulness on the holes where strategy most comes into play. It's such an incredible tool, just trying to give my input on ways it could be even more accurate and useful

Last edited:
I've had kind of a mixed bag when requesting re-maps. I still have issues on my course with greens being classified as rough even though Google Maps is up to date but I'm definitely willing to submit again and try to be more descriptive in my request.

What I assume would be a much more difficult scenario for the team to update would be something like this hole (black outline) and the red hazard area:

View attachment 9250661

When looking at it on Google maps, there's no way to see that the area in red is staked as hazard and is (virtually) unplayable. It just looks like rough up to the small stream down the middle. When I look at this hole in MyStrategy, aiming into this area does not acknowledge Water as a potential outcome so it skews the numbers to look like the best play is to go right at the hole. Admittedly on this hole the fairway is far enough left of this that I can move my target there and see accurate numbers, but there are other examples where there's a risk/reward element of hitting driver vs. clubbing down to not bring trouble into play and the numbers don't reflect the risk portion, therefore making it look like driver is the better play.
Another example would be holes where the fairway pinches down and is surrounded by trees. There's no way to know from an arial map if the trees are jail or if you'll be able to play out of them and don't have to be as wary about missing there.

At the end of the day, MyStrategy is meant to quantify the potential outcomes of aiming to different areas on the course. When penalty areas are not accounted for, it skews the numbers and limits it's usefulness on the holes where strategy most comes into play. It's such an incredible tool, just trying to give my input on ways it could be even more accurate and useful
I see what you mean now. Mapping "non playable rough" would be pretty tough and mapping where trees are in the way vs not seems pretty much impossible

I see what you mean now. Mapping "non playable rough" would be pretty tough and mapping where trees are in the way vs not seems pretty much impossible
The tree scenario isn’t the best example, but either way, some customization or the ability to mark penalty areas in your saved strategies would be really helpful to improve the accuracy. No idea what this looks like under the hood though, it may not be feasible to house it in the app

I've had kind of a mixed bag when requesting re-maps.
Depending on the time of year that the aerial views are taken, it can be hard to distinguish where one feature ends and another begins. A member of their Facebook group posted a picture where the aerial view showed a course covered in snow!

Anyone running into issues with the H4 and it constantly trying to reconnect to satellites during a round? I had this happen four times and nine holes and then I accidentally hit the checkmark thinking I was marking a putt and it ended the round.

So I have had this happen to me twice now where I'll be mid round, and the watch (V3) will just stop GPS and shot tracking. The watch screen will get stuck on the yardage it was on before it got stuck, and I have to end the round, restart the watch, and start a new round. Thankfully when I finish and sync it to the app, it put the two incomplete rounds together, although it misses a few shots. Any suggestions or ideas on what's going on?

@GavinwithaR1 Does the Shot Scope V5 (and/or X5) have a simple way to manually keep score without shot tracking activated and have the score data upload to the app? Said another way, can you turn off shot tracking before a round, then after finishing a hole, is there a simple way to manually enter a gross (or net) stroke score for that hole? Will it prompt you to enter a score for the hole after you leave the green? And then, after the round, can you upload the non-shot tracked data (i.e. your score) to the Shot Scope app?

Examples of why would be playing a round on some course where you would be playing with rental clubs or if you keep another set of clubs without the tags at a vacation home, but still want your scores saved in the app without any shot tracking data?

I have been a long time Garmin user and would like to join the Shot Scope ecosphere and get a V5 or X5 but am curious how they function if one didn't use shot tracking for some reason on occasion. Thanks!

Last edited:
@GavinwithaR1 Does the Shot Scope V5 (and/or X5) have a simple way to manually keep score without shot tracking activated and have the score data upload to the app? Said another way, can you turn off shot tracking before a round, then after finishing a hole, is there a simple way to manually enter a gross (or net) stroke score for that hole? Will it prompt you to enter a score for the hole after you leave the green? And then, after the round, can you upload the non-shot tracked data (i.e. your score) to the Shot Scope app?

Examples of why would be playing a round on some course where you would be playing with rental clubs or if you keep another set of clubs without the tags at a vacation home, but still want your scores saved in the app without any shot tracking data?

I have been a long time Garmin user and would like to join the Shot Scope ecosphere and get a V5 or X5 but am curious how they function if one didn't use shot tracking for some reason on occasion. Thanks!
As far as I'm aware, the score keeping function is basically just to make editing your shot tracked rounds easier. It will tell you in the app when you edit if your tracked shots do not match your score for the hole (e.g. you entered a 4 but you only have 3 shots recorded on the hole). Other than that, the scoring isn't saved anywhere on the app.

I have all the sensors so I’ll lead with that. You can go into the scorecard and manually enter your putts and total score on the hole very much like how Garmin does it. I’ve never tried this without the sensors attached so not quite show how the watch will operate as you leave each hole..if it will prompt you or not like Garmin will. I have a Garmin S62 I’ve stopped using as a golf watch and just use it as my every day watch since it has other tracking features and I have a pool yada yada. I use it during winter golf when we play wolf or jungle rules style where I could care less what my stats are other than the score so I know what you’re looking for. Hopefully someone else here has tried it without the sensors attached to see how it operates.

Back