Taylormade Introduces the R9 Super Tri

JB .. How would you rate the super quad up against the r9 460, and super tri?
It's the only one I have hit. Are the newer ones much of an improvement over
the super quad?

Thanks

The R9 super tri has me really interested in upgrading my 06 cobra f speed.
I was considering ordering one for my winter holiday , won't have chance to hit it
before ordering. I just like the idea of flight control options and the looks of this unit.

The only tm driver that interested me before was the black super quad driver a few years ago but it spun the ball too much for my swing . It would balloon
and fall out of sky . Tried all kinds of shafts in the fitting cart and no dice.

I never tried the r9 460 but tm is claiming the super tri is higher spinning than
r9 460.

Has anyone hit the super quad... r9 460 ..and the new super tri ?
How do they compare?

Thanks L57
Really?I would have thought otherwise.Lower spin vs the R9 460 or 420 Cc'sIf that's the case I won't be ordering one

Really?I would have thought otherwise.Lower spin vs the R9 460 or 420 Cc'sIf that's the case I won't be ordering one

In TM 's advertising it claims that it has higher launch and spin than the r9.
Unless I am misunderstanding the add.. which could be very possible:confused2:

L57

In TM 's advertising it claims that it has higher launch and spin than the r9.
Unless I am misunderstanding the add.. which could be very possible:confused2:

L57

Nope,you are correct.Just read what TM had to say on their web site.Doesn't make any sense for them to build a driver that promotes more spin..

Hope I can cancel my order

Nope,you are correct.Just read what TM had to say on their web site.Doesn't make any sense for them to build a driver that promotes more spin..

Hope I can cancel my order

Well I need to hit it before I order one. Which you should. Right now the spin on my Callaway FT-9 I-mix with Fubuki 63 stiff shaft is 3300 to 3400. Seems a little high. I don't think the TM SuperTri can spin much more than that. I'm more interested in the TP version. Maybe TM has a shaft that can bring the spin down a bit.

Well I need to hit it before I order one. Which you should. Right now the spin on my Callaway FT-9 I-mix with Fubuki 63 stiff shaft is 3300 to 3400. Seems a little high. I don't think the TM SuperTri can spin much more than that. I'm more interested in the TP version. Maybe TM has a shaft that can bring the spin down a bit.

What are your swing speed and launch angle specs.

That spin you just stated is PERFECT for anything under 115mph.

For my swing speed (103-108mph) the optimum launch angle is 12-12.5mph and 2800-3300 rpms of spin.

Spin is actually a good thing. With my current driver, my spin is around 1100 rpms, and it's a constant dropkick or knuckleball.

Most players HIGHLY underestimate the importance OF spin, and having spin around 3000rpms with driver is GOOD. The slower your swing speed, the MORE spin you want. If you have a slow swing speed, and low ball spin, there is NOTHING that wants to keep the ball in the air.

What are your swing speed and launch angle specs.

That spin you just stated is PERFECT for anything under 115mph.

For my swing speed (103-108mph) the optimum launch angle is 12-12.5mph and 2800-3300 rpms of spin.

Spin is actually a good thing. With my current driver, my spin is around 1100 rpms, and it's a constant dropkick or knuckleball.

Most players HIGHLY underestimate the importance OF spin, and having spin around 3000rpms with driver is GOOD. The slower your swing speed, the MORE spin you want. If you have a slow swing speed, and low ball spin, there is NOTHING that wants to keep the ball in the air.

Swing speed 115-117, launch angle 10-11, ball speed 168-173

Please tell me your handicap thing to the left is a joke then lol.

Your launch angle should need around 2400-2700rpms for maximum distance then...if I have my numbers correct.

If your launch angle was between 12-13, your spin would want to be around 2200rpms.

The higher your launch angle, the more moderate spin you want (lesser). The lower your launch angle, the more spin you will want, in order to stretch the yardage lost from low launch angle, with increased spin.

Also, rather than worrying about shaft brand/flex, try stepping up a little in weight of shaft, it will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the amount of spin being produced. Heavier shaft = less spin as well.

You will see though, the pro's are going to lighter and lighter shafts, as the increase in spin has been scientifically proven to increase carry distance. It REALLY matters though on launch angle. The mix of swing speed/ball speed AND launch angle, are the greatest determinants.

So. Go with a HEAVIER shaft to reduce spin. Increase launch angle will require a reduction in spin (not too much). Lesser launch angle requires MORE spin to maximize distance.

Etc. There is MUCH research you can look up my friend.

Please tell me your handicap thing to the left is a joke then lol.

Your launch angle should need around 2400-2700rpms for maximum distance then...if I have my numbers correct.

If your launch angle was between 12-13, your spin would want to be around 2200rpms.

The higher your launch angle, the more moderate spin you want (lesser). The lower your launch angle, the more spin you will want, in order to stretch the yardage lost from low launch angle, with increased spin.

Also, rather than worrying about shaft brand/flex, try stepping up a little in weight of shaft, it will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the amount of spin being produced. Heavier shaft = less spin as well.

You will see though, the pro's are going to lighter and lighter shafts, as the increase in spin has been scientifically proven to increase carry distance. It REALLY matters though on launch angle. The mix of swing speed/ball speed AND launch angle, are the greatest determinants.

So. Go with a HEAVIER shaft to reduce spin. Increase launch angle will require a reduction in spin (not too much). Lesser launch angle requires MORE spin to maximize distance.

Etc. There is MUCH research you can look up my friend.

You don't like my 9 handi? Lol. Maybe with my launch being low that is why my drives only go 270-280? I probably shouldn't say "only" but.

I know there are those who can't stand the square driver look, and I admit, it took some getting used to.

That being said. Is it just me, or is this driver ugly as sin?

1.48 smash which is good.I'm going to go on a limb and guess your problem must be too much spin.Also,I also think you need 11-12* launch

I know there are those who can't stand the square driver look, and I admit, it took some getting used to.

Our testers during the shoot out raved about the looks of this one.

Callaway FT-9 I-mix Fubuki 63 stiff 9*

Trying to add launch by using the Fubuki in stiff.I'd switch you into a 10.5 with the 63 in X to see results.If too high,then whiteboard should do the trick

Are your misses high floaters to the right?

Lets keep this about the SuperTri. Please start another thread to discuss driver shaft options not related to this one. Thanks.

Trying to add launch by using the Fubuki in stiff.I'd switch you into a 10.5 with the 63 in X to see results.If too high,then whiteboard should do the trick

Are your misses high floaters to the right?

Hooks. Thanks for your help. If you pick up a TAYLORMADE SUPERTRI please post some reviews. Thanks.

Which driver the square driver? Yes it is quite unattractive.

Which driver? The Super-Tri? I have read numerous threads on this driver and that might be the first "ugly" comment.

Re: Taylormade Introduces the R9 Super Tri

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beer-holder. I think this one is a gem, plus it performs (based on the results of the shoot-out).

Which driver? The Super-Tri? I have read numerous threads on this driver and that might be the first "ugly" comment.

EDIT - Terribly sorry folks. I was looking at the SuperFast driver from TM.
And yes, I think that thing is horrible looking.

Back