Europe Wins The 2012 Ryder Cup

Great golf if not a great outcome.

Hopefully the next Captain will have some ability for independant thought, some conviction with his decision making and won't spend the entire weekend saying things like "I talked it over with the guys" "we are just going to have fun", " who they are comfortable with" etc. etc.

Who am I kidding. Already mentally preparing myself for Furyk to be a Captain's pick and playing fourball/foursomes with Tiger at Gleneagles.

What were your thoughts on the 2012 Ryder Cup? I didn’t see as much as I would have liked but what did see was stellar.

Answering this from a different angle...I didn't see as much as I would have liked. Although I did have the TV on for the whole event, and watched it, I didn't see as much I expected. I think the crew making the broadcast was not the same as in the Majors or normal PGA tournaments. The director showed weird static images about players just hanging around, while at the same time there was action on a different hole. Even tough it was slightly better on sunday, I would have liked to see some drives, and shots that were not shown. Apparently Bubba made a huge sand save at some point? I think they were lost quite a bit.

In addition, the finnish commentators were terrible.

I feel that those of us who are hardcore fans of golf were the real winners this weekend, it was some amazing golf to watch and the Euro’s earned the win.

Agreed, I really do think this was a classic Ryder Cup. What a great advertisement for the sport in general.

Who am I kidding. Already mentally preparing myself for Furyk to be a Captain's pick and playing fourball/foursomes with Tiger at Gleneagles.

You think your new captain will pick himself?? :D

JB posted a link to some great questions in the First post, did everyone see?

the horses that went out early, didn't come up with anything. watson gets worked, and phil blows a 2 up lead I believe.

a US open champion shanks a tee shot.... my goodness what a horrible morning.

kudos to duffner, zach and DJ...

Simpson shanks the ball with some scary frequency. He does it in play two to three times a year and admits he is prone to it.

What were your thoughts on the 2012 Ryder Cup? Fantastic display of golf. An even better display of perseverance from the Euro team
Was it a choke? Yes
Bad player moves by the captain? Yes. Stricker should not have been out on the course Saturday. Keegan/Tiger would have gotten something, I feel. Plus Keegan might have lit more of a fire under Eldrick.
Certain players step up when needed? Dustin Johnson was the only American who stepped up. Zach and Jason were consistent, constitently good. But Paul Lawrie stepped up big time. I think everybody just penciled in Brandt for the point.
US Players fall flat at a crucial time? Between Furyk and Stricker, both never got off the ground to fall flat. But Bubba Watson fell flat on his face. He needed Webb to carry him on Saturday. On Sunday he was just purely lackluster.

Tiger sucked?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

When you fail to turn it on until about hole 13 for 3 consecutive days, you choked. Not to mention he had two putts on Friday and Saturday which would have earned the US points and he missed them both.

Can't wait to watch all of the action later on via the DVR invention.....the highlights probably only tell half the story and they're pretty good themselves

Can't wait to watch all of the action later on via the DVR invention.....the highlights probably only tell half the story and they're pretty good themselves

Just imagine Luke Donald being really good with his irons and short game (not hard to do). Rory over powering and out classing Keegan (not hard to do). Ian Poulter playing the best golf of his life in the RYder Cup (not hard to do). Brandt not playing well in clutch moments (not hard to do). Dustin Johnson, Zach Johnson, and Jason Dufner being lights out (not hard to do). Furyk not showing up at the biggest moments (not hard to do). Stricker looking like a guy whose best days are well behind him (not hard to do). And Tiger playing like Sunday Tiger for 3 days (not hard to do).

done and done! thanks for the cliff notes version blu!

Just imagine Luke Donald being really good with his irons and short game (not hard to do). Rory over powering and out classing Keegan (not hard to do). Ian Poulter playing the best golf of his life in the RYder Cup (not hard to do). Brandt not playing well in clutch moments (not hard to do). Dustin Johnson, Zach Johnson, and Jason Dufner being lights out (not hard to do). Furyk not showing up at the biggest moments (not hard to do). Stricker looking like a guy whose best days are well behind him (not hard to do). And Tiger playing like Sunday Tiger for 3 days (not hard to do).

Man I'd hate to wake up as Furyk today, or Stricker. Or Tiger. Of course, I'd hate to wake up as Tiger any day.

done and done! thanks for the cliff notes version blu!

Watching on Sunday was like standing on train tracks and looking at the train as its coming towards you. Except it took 7 hours to fnally get to you. It was a slow an painful demise. The moment when I realized that the US was going to lose, it was before Westwood finished off Kuchar, was painful.

Watching on Sunday was like standing on train tracks and looking at the train as its coming towards you. Except it took 7 hours to fnally get to you. It was a slow an painful demise. The moment when I realized that the US was going to lose, it was before Westwood finished off Kuchar, was painful.

I can imagine that. Got to tell you though, that train ride was amazing for us passengers! :D

honest questions since I didn't watch a lick of this yesterday....did the US assume they'd won it and came out all lazy like, did the pairings have anything to do with the results (i.e the Euros 'stacking their pairings) or were the Euros just destined to win this?

Poor Furyk. I just wanted to give that guy a hug. He had his moments of greatness, but the putts on 17 and 18 were almost unbearable to watch from setup to miss.

Poor Furyk. I just wanted to give that guy a hug. He had his moments of greatness, but the putts on 17 and 18 were almost unbearable to watch from setup to miss.

Nah, that's what they all sign up for. SOme days the putts fall and some days they don't. No one man is to blame. WHy not blame Bubba for coming out and getting smoked?

Honestly, DL3's Singles lineup was awful. Starting out with 3 rookies really. I would've led off with Tiger or Dufner, period. Let one of those two guys set the tone.

Conversely, Olazabal's lineup was outstanding. He threw the woodshed at the American's early and it provided the spark they needed.

honest questions since I didn't watch a lick of this yesterday....did the US assume they'd won it and came out all lazy like, did the pairings have anything to do with the results (i.e the Euros 'stacking their pairings) or were the Euros just destined to win this?

It felt like the US just assumed they would win. Luke Donald, Graeme, Lee, and Rory hadn't played well all weekend. So it felt like they would jsut lay down. They didn't. The Euro team was top heavy, took everyone for the first 5 points. All I kept think was "just wait until ______." Either, wait until Brandt destroys Lawrie, didn't happen. Wait until Rory falls apart and Keegan makes a putt, didn't happen. Wait until Furyk finally puts a round together, didn't happen. Wait until Kaymer has to play because Stricker will just chip away and win that match going away, didn't happen. Wait until Woods gets to step on the pedal and thrash Molinari, didn't need to happen.

The class at the top of the Euro team really shined. Donald, McIlroy, McDowell, Westwood, and Rose really played well yesterday.

True enough. He sure did look good at times.

Yesterday was brutal to watch, but so memorable at the same time.

Nah, that's what they all sign up for. SOme days the putts fall and some days they don't. No one man is to blame. WHy not blame Bubba for coming out and getting smoked?

Honestly, DL3's Singles lineup was awful. Starting out with 3 rookies really. I would've led off with Tiger or Dufner, period. Let one of those two guys set the tone.

Conversely, Olazabal's lineup was outstanding. He threw the woodshed at the American's early and it provided the spark they needed.

But Bubba wasn't a rookie. He was "the emotional leader." But he seemed to be all bark and no bite all weekend.

I thought his driver on 18 was awful. Got to keep that ball in the grass.

True enough. He sure did look good at times.

Yesterday was brutal to watch, but so memorable at the same time.

See, I thought Fri/Sat was brutal to watch. I'd rather it be closer than that. The AMericans thought they had it in the bag and the Euros just did their thing man. In the end, it was one of the most memorable RC Sunday's I can remember. Coming down to the end like that is what I want every two years.

Guys like Kaymer and Lee just didn't give their opponents an opening. That was shocking. I actually feel bad for Tiger. Dude played pretty dang good golf for 3 sessions and got natha. He brings out everyone's best I guess.

But Bubba wasn't a rookie. He was "the emotional leader." But he seemed to be all bark and no bite all weekend.

True, but he's very inexperienced. He's ridden coattails for two RC's dude, in the team formats, and just gets owned in singles.

I'm sorry but watching this event shows how paramount making birdies is and why BVP was not on this squad is just mind bottling.

Kaymer showed some mental strength. I like to think of it as a sort of matchplay mentality. Guy is +1 for his round, but he's not thinking about his score, just playing his opponent.

Man, there was some drama. I've never gotten chills so many times watching sports. Loved that there was so much coverage too. I was sitting here thinking about where I'll be in two years and how I can't wait to watch it all over again. I'm taking Friday off in 2014.

Back