Europe Wins The 2012 Ryder Cup

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The THP Tour Spot just put something up on the home page about the win and asked a few questions about the outcome. What are your thoughts?

http://bit.ly/QE8o4U

The US lost it more than Europe won it imho

Shocked. That's all I can come up with at this point. Congrats to Team Europe, the better team won indeed.

They cater to Tiger and it bites them.

Huge choke job by the US. Particularly Furyk and Stricker. I still can't believe Furyk was a captians pick after the previous chokes he's had this year.

The ownership of blame sits squarely on the backs of the entire US team. You can’t let the Europeans get that early momentum, and you can’t let leads go late. You can’t sit a hot team on Saturday, and you can’t let your home crowd get silent.

This all being said, what a monumental and momentous comeback for the Europeans. They had the momentum from late Saturday and didn’t give it back. Ian Poulter is a beast, and the team just seemed to make every crucial shot at the exact time needed. Some of the best TV I’ve ever watched.

Shocked. That's all I can come up with at this point. Congrats to Team Europe, the better team won indeed.

Go are you going to punch for this one?

Tough loss but some great golf all around indeed.

It was super exciting, and the European team deserves a ton of credit. They worked hard for this one and really deserve it.That said, as an American, it was pretty horrendous today.

Overall, I think Love mostly did a good job with his coaching decisions except for 2. First, he shouldn't have sat Phil and Keegan yesterday. They're professional golfers, they can play 36 holes. You never sit a hot team, especially with how unbeatable they looked for a day and a half. Second, shouldn't have paired Stricker with Tiger the second day. With the way Tiger finished on Friday (that great birdie run on the back 9), he should have played like he did Saturday, but Stricker was doing absolutely nothing, and so he should have sat some more. There had to be someone better to pair with Tiger.

Big props to Dufner and the Johnsons as well. And Keegan...he's one of my favorite players on tour. And I really hope we get to see him battling for big tournaments down the stretch with Rory and the other young guys in the coming years.

It was super exciting, and the European team deserves a ton of credit. They worked hard for this one and really deserve it.That said, as an American, it was pretty horrendous today.

Overall, I think Love mostly did a good job with his coaching decisions except for 2. First, he shouldn't have sat Phil and Keegan yesterday. They're professional golfers, they can play 36 holes. You never sit a hot team, especially with how unbeatable they looked for a day and a half. Second, shouldn't have paired Stricker with Tiger the second day. With the way Tiger finished on Friday (that great birdie run on the back 9), he should have played like he did Saturday, but Stricker was doing absolutely nothing, and so he should have sat some more. There had to be someone better to pair with Tiger.

Big props to Dufner and the Johnsons as well. And Keegan...he's one of my favorite players on tour. And I really hope we get to see him battling for big tournaments down the stretch with Rory and the other young guys in the coming years.

This was the wrong move. I agree 10000%%

I thought Phil asked for the afternoon off.

Dustin Johnson is my favorite player and can leave Medina with his head held high. Congrats to Europe. They live for this tournament and it showed.

I like Steve Stricker a lot less today than I did before this weekend started. That's what I have to say about that.

The US Team lost this one big time. They played like garbage.

I guess Lee ended up doing ok in the end. He laid waste to that tennis player Matt Kuchar.

I swear, this was the wildest RC I've ever seen. The Americans quite simply played like the Euros. No offense intended here at all. We dominated the team format and stunk it up in singles.

Big thanks to Tiger and Strick too.

You gotta give it to the Euro team for front-loading their lineup. Olazabal definitely out-managed DLIII. I'm surprised to see such a blue-flag day since, I believe, the US teams have traditionally done better on Sunday singles. All in all, another great cup.

It was the single most incredible golfing event I've ever seen. The European team played incredible today, they held off some great golf from the American squad and capitalized on the misses. It was something to witness, that's for sure. DL III did a great job I think, he played strategy golf and it just didn't work out for us today, there were some poor shots and putts on the U.S. side and when we did hit a good shot it was followed by a poor putt or a good putt that lipped out or came up just short. I blame no one but the game of golf, it's how it goes sometimes, you play well but just don't win.
Congrats to the Europeans.

the horses that went out early, didn't come up with anything. watson gets worked, and phil blows a 2 up lead I believe.

a US open champion shanks a tee shot.... my goodness what a horrible morning.

kudos to duffner, zach and DJ...

The ownership of blame sits squarely on the backs of the entire US team. You can’t let the Europeans get that early momentum, and you can’t let leads go late. You can’t sit a hot team on Saturday, and you can’t let your home crowd get silent.

This all being said, what a monumental and momentous comeback for the Europeans. They had the momentum from late Saturday and didn’t give it back. Ian Poulter is a beast, and the team just seemed to make every crucial shot at the exact time needed. Some of the best TV I’ve ever watched.

Summed it up perfectly JN.

Not sure you can say the US chocked. Both teams were pretty evenly matched. The US played great in the team play, while the Euros didn't sink the putts when it mattered. Once they got momentum and spirit back in their stride and game, they started making the putts when it matted.

the horses that went out early, didn't come up with anything. watson gets worked, and phil blows a 2 up lead I believe.

a US open champion shanks a tee shot.... my goodness what a horrible morning.

kudos to duffner, zach and DJ...

Not sure you can say Phil blew it. Rose just outplayed him in the final 3 holes. I mean he finished with back to back birdies.

What were your thoughts on the 2012 Ryder Cup? Europe pulled a Team Hackers and took this thing.

Was it a choke? To the nth degree.

Bad player moves by the captain? Yes. Should have left Keegan and Phil out there and sat Eldrick and Stricker in the fourth round.

Certain players step up when needed? Europe kicked ass.

US Players fall flat at a crucial time? Couldn't seal the deal.

1. Stricker and Furyk should not have been a captn's picks
2. Tiger and Stricker should not have been paired up both friday and saturday
3. DL3 should have adjusted his line up
4. Poults was the life of the Euro's
5. The Euro's got a few points early in singles to help add fuel to the fire
6. I think the American's needed a few guys with leadership to go out early to try and get a couple of points
7. Rose's comeback is what won this Ryder Cup
8. I'm glad the last putt wasn't given to Tiger. There is a difference in winning the Ryder Cup and retaining the Cup.

It was amazing and painful to watch.....
Was it a choke....I have to say...somewhat....some really poor play by some of the US players today...12 matches and you only need to win a third of them and tie one more and you can't do that...that's choking a little
Bad moves by the Captain....maybe, I think his choices for Captains picks are suspect....considering one of them went O-4....should have broken the Woods/Stricker Combo
Euros had players step up big today....Westwood, Kaymer, Lawrie, Sergio, Molanari
US players fall flat.,.,..yes....Bubba went cold, Snedeker...losing to Lawrie was a joke

What were your thoughts on the 2012 Ryder Cup?
I thought it was epic. Had some great matches, great comebacks. Had everything you could want.

Was it a choke?
I don't think so. I just think the Americans thought they had it in the bag and just stopped playing with heart. The Euro's played with intensity and it just plain meant more to them

Bad player moves by the captain?
Again, I don't think so. He put some strong guys at the start and had 2 veterans that should have been able to handle the pressure. I think Stricker is showing some age right now

Certain players step up when needed?
Poulter is the greatest Ryder Cupper since Monty. Absolutely a monster out there and I love watching his intensity. I was kind of hoping for a Poults v Tiger match

US Players fall flat at a crucial time?
Yeah unfortunately I think so. Keegan just kind of lost the intensity a little and Rory upped his big time. Furyk and Stricker were just not good.

Obviously, I am disappointed the U.S. team lost and better yet, really stunk up the joint like they did. But, that European team was entirely more talented than they had showed the previous two days, so I was somewhat expecting this. Poulter is insane. I just told Kelly, if the fate of the world came down to one guy winning a match play golf event, give me Poulter every damn time to save the planet. As much as I want to root against him, you have to enjoy seeing a guy take it to a level like Poulter does in these events. I would love to know what it's like to hit that gear and feel unstoppable. Poulter showed this weekend, why he may perhaps be one of the greatest Ryder Cup players of all time.

As for the U.S., I think the future is very bright for us. We had some real work horse efforts out there, namely Dufner. The guy is just cool and gets it done. Bradley became a star this weekend. I think the changing of the guard took place this weekend. Guys like Stricker and Furyk, probably played in their last Ryder Cup, while Simpson, Dufner and Bradley ushered in our next generation.

I don't think that you have anyone to blame for the loss but the whole US team. They seemed like they got comfortable. And when they realized that just because team Europe had a bad 2 days, they were ready to play today. Guys like Westwood and Kaymer and Lawrie were thought to be points it seemed like and they all won their matches, some by a large margin. I dont think DLIII did anything wrong as a captain. I felt like he put out the best teams and singles that he thought would work. Would I change a few in the order? Sure. But thats just me.

Like its been said, the better team won today. Team Europe came out fighting and played some great golf and was rewarded for that and they retained the cup.

I think if you played today again, same matches, it'd be a long time before the results came out this way.
Good for the Euros, hard luck for the USA. Choking? Maybe Furyk, but we've all seen him miss those before. After the 7th re-read I figured it couldn't go in. Phil got unlucky, that bomb on 17 was going WAY by if it missed.

Yes, USA was ahead, yes the Euros won. Only people at "fault" for that are the Euro golfers, I'll go out on a limb and say the USA side was trying and wanted it just as badly.

Agree with you and:

The US lost because they choked. DLIII is an old guard putz who is stuck in the past. Furyk and Stricker????? Furyk choked all year on Sunday. His 5 hour energy failed him today. Tiger Woods sucked as usual. Making him the anchor is an homage to the past. Micholson choked and clapped for his opponent. I have no problem saying nice shot, but clapping and giving him a thumbs up???

The Eros deserved to win because they played better and did not choke.

1. Stricker and Furyk should not have been a captn's picks
2. Tiger and Stricker should not have been paired up both friday and saturday
3. DL3 should have adjusted his line up
4. Poults was the life of the Euro's
5. The Euro's got a few points early in singles to help add fuel to the fire
6. I think the American's needed a few guys with leadership to go out early to try and get a couple of points
7. Rose's comeback is what won this Ryder Cup
8. I'm glad the last putt wasn't given to Tiger. There is a difference in winning the Ryder Cup and retaining the Cup.

Back