Europe Wins The 2012 Ryder Cup

Sit Tiger for 2 sessions on the same day??? Not gonna happen..The powers that be, the sponsors and the networks would have sh*t fit..Love was questioned by the madia why he was sitting Tiger for the 3rd session and even though he is the Captain he had to justify himself, saying he didn't want anyone playing all 5 sessions..This was probably why he sat Mickelson and Bradley....And if you think sponsors and PGA, USGA and R&A have no say in things, I'd say you'd be sadly mistaken....But it was a good Ryder Cup, fun to watch..And if you didn't catch the Morning Drive, they were criticizing Molinaro for not conceding to Tiger when they were in the fairway after the cup was won and also for not giving Tiger his first putt..Unbelievable...I think Tiger giving Molinari the putt to win the hole was a nice gesture..I don't hate Tiger, I just hate the way the media fall all over themselves when it comes to Tiger...

I also wish Moli and TW would've done "Good? Good?" But, I think Moli was probably instructed not to concede. IMO, Olly wanted a WIN, not a RETAIN. I think Olly still has bad blood from '99 when the US trampled all over his line after Leonard made that putt.

There were a couple of rounds, this year, that ended in gesture's reminding me of Nicklaus concession to Jackin, back in '69. TW's concession to Moli was one of them.

Hunter and Watney would have been better picks. These comments are right on.

1. Stricker and Furyk should not have been a captn's picks
2. Tiger and Stricker should not have been paired up both friday and saturday
3. DL3 should have adjusted his line up
4. Poults was the life of the Euro's
5. The Euro's got a few points early in singles to help add fuel to the fire
6. I think the American's needed a few guys with leadership to go out early to try and get a couple of points
7. Rose's comeback is what won this Ryder Cup
8. I'm glad the last putt wasn't given to Tiger. There is a difference in winning the Ryder Cup and retaining the Cup.

I also wish Moli and TW would've done "Good? Good?" But, I think Moli was probably instructed not to concede. IMO, Olly wanted a WIN, not a RETAIN. I think Olly still has bad blood from '99 when the US trampled all over his line after Leonard made that putt.

There were a couple of rounds, this year, that ended in gesture's reminding me of Nicklaus concession to Jackin, back in '69. TW's concession to Moli was one of them.

Yeah; in the drunken-post win interview, Molinari indicated that Olly told him on the fairway to try to win the cup. Otherwise, he suggested he was going to concede in the fairway.

I don't know. I don't see how we can contend that this was a case of a few putts one way or the other. We played terribly, we planned poorly, we prepared poorly and we got our clocks cleaned. You cannot look at RC final scores as an indication of how close or how far off we were. We got killed when you consider we were on our home turf.

Until we start to change the way we approach playing in the contemporary RC as it is today, including not caring about the PR optics of who plays how many sessions with whom, we will continue to get clocked. We are going to get killed in two years in Europe. You can say you read it here first if you want. If we are OK will getting killed then fine. I guess we can all be happy with the spectacle of the Ryder Cup.

I should not have to point out though that even European past RC team members were pretty shocked at how we approached it, how we played it, how we planned it and how we prepared for it. You could tell that some of them were just embarrassed for us, especially guys that while having a Euro or international background have grown roots here. Others from the Euro side of the world were quite happy to take the win while still being somewhat surprised at what we were doing both off and on the course. Some seemingly seeing it as humorous.

For example while some of us were applauding Phil for applauding his opponent during the round, you could tell that even Rose was somewhat put off. Initially Rose looked like he thought Phil was trying to put him off his game. The first thing I did both times was look at Rose and followed Rose instead of following Phil when that happened.

I am fine with the spectacle of the RC but I am not at all fine with our performance in it and everything that had anything to do with it from our side of the pond. Phil seemingly anointing himself as some sort of special assistant is one small problem in what appears to be an avalanche of problems similar to the avalanche of points that the Euros buried us under on Sunday.

Last edited:
Hmm...interesting, I might say.

Uncanny, really.

Yeah; in the drunken-post win interview, Molinari indicated that Olly told him on the fairway to try to win the cup. Otherwise, he suggested he was going to concede in the fairway.

That kind of bothers me and makes me lose a little respect for Olazabal.

Golf Channel is replaying the entire Sundays singles broadcast today at 4pm Eastern.

That kind of bothers me and makes me lose a little respect for Olazabal.

Well hopefully the US guys will decide not to get mad but to get even. Phil's applauding Rose DURING play might appear to be great sportsmanship. JMO's prodding his team to go for the win instead of the tie regardless of the fact that a tie sent the cup back to Europe is a clear enough indication of US vs Euro perspectives on the Ryder Cup. The Euros come into the event intending to hurt you, much like a football team intending to out-pysical you on the gridiron. We seem to come into it wanting to prove that the US stroke play mentality still produces golfers good enough to win in match play without much changing how we approach the coarse, the event or the competition, I guess happy enough to be part of the spectacle of the RC. Bully for us. Expect more slaughters to come if we don't change how we approach this particular event.

Sit Tiger for 2 sessions on the same day??? Not gonna happen..The powers that be, the sponsors and the networks would have sh*t fit..Love was questioned by the madia why he was sitting Tiger for the 3rd session and even though he is the Captain he had to justify himself, saying he didn't want anyone playing all 5 sessions..This was probably why he sat Mickelson and Bradley....And if you think sponsors and PGA, USGA and R&A have no say in things, I'd say you'd be sadly mistaken....But it was a good Ryder Cup, fun to watch..And if you didn't catch the Morning Drive, they were criticizing Molinaro for not conceding to Tiger when they were in the fairway after the cup was won and also for not giving Tiger his first putt..Unbelievable...I think Tiger giving Molinari the putt to win the hole was a nice gesture..I don't hate Tiger, I just hate the way the media fall all over themselves when it comes to Tiger...
Calm down! This was just my opinion of what he should have done. I was actually surprised he sat that pair at all because of who we are talking about.

From watching this one I still see the same issues plaguing the Americans. No sense of team. They don't play as one unit IMO. More like 12 individuals playing. Also the one thing I don't ever remember seeing is a true leader for the US. Someone who is outspoken and takes control. The media makes Tiger, Phil, And Furyk to look like they are leaders but rarely do we see it from them when they are playing. To go back a bit the only two Americans that played like a team were Phil and Keegan and they were nothing short of unstoppable. Sunday was the worst display of heart I have ever seen in a team competition. Not one of them played with any fire in their belly. Poulter solidified his spot as one of the most fierce match play players in the world. The way he plays this tournament is amazing. He has enough fire in his belly to fuel both teams. While he may not be the best stroke play competitor, he is more than worth his weight in gold when it comes to the Ryder Cup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Golf Channel just posted this to their Facebook wall. Apologize if it has already been posted, but this is the first time I have seen it. Good on that officer. Even though I am kicking the dirt, spit on the ground mad that the U.S. lost.

@McIlroyRory "Me with my chauffeur who drove me to the course yesterday!! #betterlatethannever"

223268_10151186320576676_1669919253_n.jpg

From watching this one I still see the same issues plaguing the Americans. No sense of team. They don't play as one unit IMO. More like 12 individuals playing. Also the one thing I don't ever remember seeing is a true leader for the US. Someone who is outspoken and takes control. The media makes Tiger, Phil, And Furyk to look like they are leaders but rarely do we see it from them when they are playing. To go back a bit the only two Americans that played like a team were Phil and Keegan and they were nothing short of unstoppable. Sunday was the worst display of heart I have ever seen in a team competition. Not one of them played with any fire in their belly. Poulter solidified his spot as one of the most fierce match play players in the world. The way he plays this tournament is amazing. He has enough fire in his belly to fuel both teams. While he may not be the best stroke play competitor, he is more than worth his weight in gold when it comes to the Ryder Cup.

Zach Johson showed a lot of emotion, which is surprising in itself. He stepped on Graeme's throat when he had the chance. But it's sad when that's the only guy who had fire in his belly.

Zach Johson showed a lot of emotion, which is surprising in itself. He stepped on Graeme's throat when he had the chance. But it's sad when that's the only guy who had fire in his belly.

Yea he did play with fire in him but we still have no true leader like Europe.

Yea he did play with fire in him but we still have no true leader like Europe.

Europe's leader was Seve, or at least the idea of Seve. USA golfers focus more on majors and individual accomplishment. Once the team focuses on beating a single guy, like they did with Seve, then we will win again. That focal point will probably be Poulter.

I think all the ephemeral stuff has less to do with the outcome than others I guess. We missed putts and lost holes, which doesn't lend itself to acting excited. We were pretty fired up when we were winning on Friday and Saturday.

I think losing a bunch of matches early had a big effect, but I don't believe that they 'didn't want it enough' or any of that stuff. They won some key holes and all of a sudden were playing defense.

Golf Channel just posted this to their Facebook wall. Apologize if it has already been posted, but this is the first time I have seen it. Good on that officer. Even though I am kicking the dirt, spit on the ground mad that the U.S. lost.

He would've been late if I was driving. HA!

Duffner showed a lot of grit too. He held off multiple runs from Hanson.

So how many death threats do you think this guy gets??? I wouldn't want to be attached to that.

I think all the ephemeral stuff has less to do with the outcome than others I guess. We missed putts and lost holes, which doesn't lend itself to acting excited. We were pretty fired up when we were winning on Friday and Saturday.

I think losing a bunch of matches early had a big effect, but I don't believe that they 'didn't want it enough' or any of that stuff. They won some key holes and all of a sudden were playing defense.

I agree with you Hawk. Friday and Saturday, the US team looked like a unit. Most of them played better together than I've seen from a US team in recent years. They had me bemoaning the European 'luck' with lipped putts etc....which shows that although the Euros were trying, we were getting overrun by better golf at the time. Then the last 2 matches on Saturday afternoon turned the tide completely, Jose pulled a great lineup out and it came off, and the Euros just flat out played the game. It's difficult to swim against a tide like that I'd guess.

The US RC effort has yielded 2 victories out of 9 cup events since 1995. They are 2-7 and throughout that period Europe has been producing golfers capable of generally better performances than they had in the past regardless of format. The US still produces great stroke play golfers but has done very little to improve its match play capabilities, hence, 2-7 in 9 efforts. Neither of the 2 US victories took place on foreign soil while the European team has won 3 of their 7 victories over the same period on US courses. Any way you cut it we have been and being gutted in this event.

The US effort in the contemporary RC era beginning when the opponent was expanded from a team from GB to a team encompassing a greater pool of Euro players was 5-3. We have gone from 5-3 in the first 16 years to 2-7 in the last 19 years with no victories on foreign soil. One year was skipped due to the 9/11 tragedy.

As for the first two days of foursomes and four-ball the US can finally claim to have a pairing strong enough to have the steamroller effect we are used to seeing from the Euros....impressive after a couple of decades of effort.

I just don't think that we are that into the RC as we say we are. Hate to use "we" but didn't feel like typing The Americans twice. They out on a good show and say that there is great team spirit in the team rooms and all that jazz but when it comes down to it we generally get waxed in the four ball and foursome matches. The Euros base their play around the RC as where the Americans are geared toward the Majors and individual tourneys. I think the fact that we generally excel in the Sunday format even more solidifies that we are 12 individuals and not ONE team.

But neither of those things happened this time. I agree with paulo that tide turned Saturday afternoon with the two last matches. It seemed like everybody was playing scared from that point on.

But neither of those things happened this time. I agree with paulo that tide turned Saturday afternoon with the two last matches. It seemed like everybody was playing scared from that point on.

This really manifested itself on 17 & 18 both days. The US guys were really tight and to my observations playing not to lose instead of to win. Over clubbing approach shots. Really grinding on chips and lag putts then leaving them 6 or 8 feet or more from the hole. Lipping out the and even flat out missing the hole on the comebackers. It was ugly.

Not so much for the euro's. Especially Poulter & Rose. You could almost here the big brass nuts clanging together when one of them settled in to hit a shot or stroke a putt that would swing the match.

I think it was a great comeback by the European team, a choke by the US team AND some bad decisions by Capt Love.... Being "home bound", I watched about 90% of the matches and all day Sunday. I think you ride the hot players.. The US didn't and lost.. If you are picked to be the Ryder Cup Captain, you play to win, not to "not upset" certain players!

Hats off to the Europeans for being clutch!

:drinks:

Back