I don't run for my physical health although it does have it's benefits. I run for my mental health because it's just a really good release for me. I live across the street from the track at my college and it is the perfect place to get in a good run. The cheer team runs there as well so there is that.

Are they running for excercise, or to get away from a creepy old golfer?

Are they running for excercise, or to get away from a creepy old golfer?

Well it starts with them running from a "creepy old golfer" which makes it turn into exercise. The way I see it, I'm doing them all a favor.

10K planned for the morning.

My wife's the distance runner in the family, she's completed several 10K's and a half marathon or two. I don't do nearly those kinds of distances, but I have been able to get in a 6:15 mile and two miles in under 13:20. I've been told I could get a 45:00 10K if I really put my mind to it, but I prefer lifting heavy things. I only run because the Army says I have to to prove I'm still fit.

I'm in the middle of marathon training now. I enjoy running as long as I have somebody to run with. I absolutely hate running on my own. Usually if nobody else can run, I'll sleep in. The marathon I'm planning on running in is the Bass Pro in Springfield, MO on Nov. 3. I'm thinking it's going to be a one and done for me, though. I love running 4-8 miles several times a week, but these long runs preparing for the marathon are about to kill me, especially in the heat and humidity we have down here.

I'm in the middle of marathon training now. I enjoy running as long as I have somebody to run with. I absolutely hate running on my own. Usually if nobody else can run, I'll sleep in. The marathon I'm planning on running in is the Bass Pro in Springfield, MO on Nov. 3. I'm thinking it's going to be a one and done for me, though. I love running 4-8 miles several times a week, but these long runs preparing for the marathon are about to kill me, especially in the heat and humidity we have down here.

Good luck with the training. That's awesome.

I have fallen in love with running over the past two years. I have done 4 marathons with my best being a 4:21. I took about 3 months off after last one and just started training for a half in November. I set a PR at 1:54 last year and hope to get under 1:50 this time around. By the way I run in Brooks. Mostly the Pure Cadence line but am looking forward to the Brooks Transcend coming out in 2/1/14

I feel for you with the heat and humidity I hate running in them and that's why I took off this summer. I can't stand running in heat anyways. Did my best marathon this past march when it was 35 degrees out. I ran in shorts and the lightest UA shirt made. I find it so much easier to run in the cold. Good luck on the 26.2 just remember it does not matter how long it takes just finish. The feeling you get when finishing that distance is amazing.

I feel for you with the heat and humidity I hate running in them and that's why I took off this summer. I can't stand running in heat anyways. Did my best marathon this past march when it was 35 degrees out. I ran in shorts and the lightest UA shirt made. I find it so much easier to run in the cold. Good luck on the 26.2 just remember it does not matter how long it takes just finish. The feeling you get when finishing that distance is amazing.

Believe me, my main goal is just to cross that finish line. I don't care if I have to crawl. However, I would like to get somewhere around 4 hours 15 minutes. I've never done a half marathon race before, but we had a 14 mile run yesterday and I crossed the 13.1 marker at just over 2 hours and I still had more to run and didn't feel anywhere near my best. I think if I feel good on race day I can get that time I want.

10K this morning kicked my butt. I wasn't expecting it to be 29*C out and was not prepared for the heat. Was almost a full 30 seconds per KM slower than normal because of it.

Did another 5k this morn as part of my get back into running plan. Started running again last Monday and am doing a 5k every other day to get the legs back into the grove before starting my half training. First run last week was 30:20 and since that run the times have gone as follows, 29:20, 27:40, 27:20, 26:49. Legs are staring to feel better.

Oh running and I have a love/hate relationship! I hate to do it, and also hate that I love the way I feel after I'm done. A few years ago I was running about 3-4 miles per day consistently and completed a 5k in 24min (squeaked in just under 25, but the course had some pretty steep terrain). Fast forward to today, and I can't complete a lap around the track and jogged/walked a 5k last month sponsored by my company in enough time to prep a 5 course meal.

My biggest issue with running is that it really hurts my body, I have serious issues with my feet and lack of arches which throws everything out of whack. I don't really have $150 to blow on a pair of Asics or Brooks anymore. I'd like to get back into it as I'm really out of shape but I just haven't made the time/commitment to do it.

I've been into running the last few years off and on after doing it in middle school and/or high school. Definitely know what you mean by love/hate relationship.

To those with foot issues and talk of the beating a body takes on running. Not sure the correct term for this style of running, but minimalist shoes require you to run differently. The lack of heel cushion requires the body to run on the balls of the feet rather then the heels. It feels awkward at first but it really is alot smoother once you get used to it. You can run on the balls of your feet with nice running shoes as well, minimalist shoes just force you to. It's almost like a high stepping motion. TONS of info on the internet.

Oh running and I have a love/hate relationship! I hate to do it, and also hate that I love the way I feel after I'm done. A few years ago I was running about 3-4 miles per day consistently and completed a 5k in 24min (squeaked in just under 25, but the course had some pretty steep terrain). Fast forward to today, and I can't complete a lap around the track and jogged/walked a 5k last month sponsored by my company in enough time to prep a 5 course meal.

My biggest issue with running is that it really hurts my body, I have serious issues with my feet and lack of arches which throws everything out of whack. I don't really have $150 to blow on a pair of Asics or Brooks anymore. I'd like to get back into it as I'm really out of shape but I just haven't made the time/commitment to do it.

Two pieces of advice for shoes/arch issues:

1) Look on Amazon, etc., for shoes from last season. I have been getting Mizuno Wave Rider 13 shoes for the last year or so, and you can find a pair for $80 or less now that the 14 series is out. This is typical for most shoe brands.

2) Check out Superfeet inserts. They have really changed how my feet and joints feel during longer running sessions. For about $40 (which lasts through two pairs of shoes), it's a cheap way to manage arch issues.

I love running for staying in shape, and because it's relaxing to me - allows me to just completely clear my head. I've been running once or twice a week lately, about a 5K at a time; I wish I had time to run further, but I really don't - squeezing in the 20 or 25 minutes that I do now is tough enough. So, I run hills which picks the intensity up. I would probably run more, but my girlfriend hates it so we can't do it together.

2) Check out Superfeet inserts. They have really changed how my feet and joints feel during longer running sessions. For about $40 (which lasts through two pairs of shoes), it's a cheap way to manage arch issues.

Haven't used them for running, but I have Superfeet in my ski boots, and it's made a world of difference from my last pair of boots. I can ski way longer, and my feet don't hurt after hiking to lines or skiing bumps.

Superfeet really saved my feet and legs last season. I started having a nagging toe/foot issue with my right foot on longer runs. I realized that I was doing too many miles without enough arch support. Used the Superfeet and went to pain-free running almost immediately. Pretty amazing stuff.

I'll have to look into the superfeet inserts, thanks

We have a fitness thread and a cycling thread, so why not a running/jogging thread?

I know there are a fair amount of runners and joggers here. Feel free to post about daily runs, goals, and it wouldn't be a THP thread without some equipment talk.

I will be honest....Running and I do not go together very well. I get bored. I wander off. I need to be playing basketball or doing some sort of activity (chasing my ball before it rolls back off the green) to be able to run. I am proud to say I did one of those obstacle course races, The Warrior Dash, a few weeks back for the first time. The running was painfully blah, but I really LOVED all the mud and fun. Went through that thing about 10 mins faster than I ever thought possible.... I give all you runners a BIG high five for being able to do what you do.

Superfeet really saved my feet and legs last season. I started having a nagging toe/foot issue with my right foot on longer runs. I realized that I was doing too many miles without enough arch support. Used the Superfeet and went to pain-free running almost immediately. Pretty amazing stuff.

I need to look at these. I started to run a lot last fall and ran in some 5k races. I have since stopped but not that the MC and work travel is over I am looking to get back in to it. I always get a sharp pain in the arch of my left foot. It usually happens just about a mile in to the run.

Balls of the feet.

Heck yes! Just ran my first ever full 5k, no rest/walking. Not too bad for 5'8", 255 lbs.

Nice, JR. Keep up the good work.

I've been into running the last few years off and on after doing it in middle school and/or high school. Definitely know what you mean by love/hate relationship.

To those with foot issues and talk of the beating a body takes on running. Not sure the correct term for this style of running, but minimalist shoes require you to run differently. The lack of heel cushion requires the body to run on the balls of the feet rather then the heels. It feels awkward at first but it really is alot smoother once you get used to it. You can run on the balls of your feet with nice running shoes as well, minimalist shoes just force you to. It's almost like a high stepping motion. TONS of info on the internet.

In my running group we learned to almost feel like you are falling (by leaning forward) and your foot will land in the appropriate spot. And also to focus on short fast steps. My calf sometimes bothers me if I don't stretch but my shins, knees, and hips don't hurt at all. Another resource is New Balance Good Form Running.

In my running group we learned to almost feel like you are falling (by leaning forward) and your foot will land in the appropriate spot. And also to focus on short fast steps. My calf sometimes bothers me if I don't stretch but my shins, knees, and hips don't hurt at all. Another resource is New Balance Good Form Running.

That is a great way to put it. Like I said, it feels awkward at first, but seems to put much less stress on the body.

JR, congrats dude!!

Back