Also, my iPod nano is about to crap out on me, and I'm looking at either buying a new one or trying to use my iPhone while running. If I do the latter, I am going to buy a waterproof armband. Does anyone use a waterproof armband that they like? I've seen a couple out there in the $35-50 range, which seems reasonable if I can keep the iPhone dry and not have to purchase a new iPod (which would run over $100).

I have my iPhone in a lifeproof case, it's waterproof and I don't worry about my phone at all.

I ran/jogged/walked at a moderate pace for 3 miles last night while my son was at socer practice. I am quite sore this morning, but it felt good when I was done last night and I really need to get back into doing something as I have been politely reminded several times lately that I have "put on a few lb's"

Just started running a few weeks ago in the evenings. So far, I am only running a couple of miles, but planning on gradually working my way up. It's nice to go out once my son is in bed and be alone with my thoughts. It's also a great stress reliever for me. Hope to be in good enough shape to run the Indianapolis 500 Mini Marathon and keep up with my son.

We just had the Rocken Roll half in VA Beach yesterday. I did not run cause I hate running in the heat. They came on the news and said that one person had died. All that they have reported was that he was bleeding from his head. Not sure if he fell or what happened but it is sad. Never like to hear of something like this.

I love my garmin watch. My phones gps sucks. A week and half into 10k training for September 28th and feeling good. Our instructor announced the next class would be half marathon and that we would do the Philly half marathon on November 17th. If you had told me at the beginning of the year and at 325 pounds that I would be in the 260s and running a half by the end of the year, I would have laughed.

Awesome accomplishment! Way to go, man!

Great advice to run outside. Running on a treadmill is painfully boring. You can start by doing a couple laps around the block and justo go from there. There are some websites that help you plan out courses based on mileage. Gmap pedometer is a really good one. It's google maps based and allows you to set a course around your house or wherever you want at a specific mileage. It's invaluable when I'm trying to plan specific distance runs for training.

Anybody that's gonna have to use a treadmill as the weather gets colder; keep in mind that it's not as god a workout because you are not actually pushing yourself forward like you do when you run outside, so you can't really compare times/pace with outside times/paces. You might find it helpful to increase the incline to make it more like an outside run, 'cause then you'll have to push up AND forward to keep in place.

I'm actually looking forward to the weather cooling down. Nothing like bundling up for a run.

I couldn't fit into my favorite jeans Sunday, looks like I'll finally start running this week.

So just crossed 200km in my Lunar Flyknits (btw: possibly the best all-round shoe as for as comfort, lightweight, and stability.)

Thinking of adding a pair of Free 5.0's for shorter runs (5K or less). For those who run in Free's, how was your transition into a minimalist style shoe?

minimal/barefoot shoes

minimal/barefoot shoes

So just crossed 200km in my Lunar Flyknits (btw: possibly the best all-round shoe as for as comfort, lightweight, and stability.)

Thinking of adding a pair of Free 5.0's for shorter runs (5K or less). For those who run in Free's, how was your transition into a minimalist style shoe?

I'll start with some info about my running history. I started running in college to strengthen a bad knee/leg. It worked to a point (at my best I was running a 42 min. 10K) but I always had knee pain and some years ago I got to the point when I had to stop running. After not running for a year or so I read about barefoot running and after some investigation gave it a shot. That was 41/2 years ago, I am now 50+ years old and can run without pain as long as I'm smart about it. I totally believe in minimal/barefoot shoes; so much so that I do not have a pair of shoes in my closet which are not zero drop, including golf shoes (Puma Faas Lites :thumb:).

If you're looking to transition to a minimal shoe and like Nike then you should go to the Nike 3.0 or 4.0, not the 5.0. The 5.0 is more of a traditional running shoe with a little added flexibility in the sole. You want a shoe that has less of a height difference from heel to toe (zero is ideal), is closer to the ground and is more flexible so your feet can move more naturally.
There are currently a ton of "minimal" running shoes out there to choose from - the shoe companies are finally getting it. I started "barefoot" running in Vibram Five Fingers and currently run in VivoBarefoot shoes.

Here's a few things to think about if you want to try running in a minimal/barefoot shoe:

1. It requires a whole different running form (more upright,shorter stride - there's a lot of info online )
- If you run with a long, heel strike stride (which traditional running shoes encourage) you will not like running in minimal/barefoot shoes; it will hurt and you could injure yourself
- The easiest way to find correct form is to start by walking in bare feet on a sidewalk. If you walk with a heel strike it will hurt. After successfully walking, try some light running strides in bare feet - you'll get it pretty quickly or else collapse in pain.
- For me, when using a mid-foot strike in a minimal shoe I feel much lighter on my feet; it feels more like dancing than how I used to run. I have also found that my body wants to RUN, not jog (or yog if you prefer) when using "barefoot" shoes.

2. If you decide to go with a minimal/barefoot shoe TAKE IT EASY! (also a lot of info online)
- Start by wearing them around the house, at work or wherever. Then for VERY short runs to see how your feet and legs react. Walking/running in a minimal/barefoot shoe while using a mid-foot strike makes the muscles in your feet, calves and legs work in ways they haven't before.
- If you overdo it you can end up with major calf pain and what's called top of the foot pain (basically feels like a spike being pushed into the middle of your foot) - I had both :beat-up:

3. Stay off of concrete until you get your form down, it's a killer if you're not running correctly.

4. They're not for everyone, but if you commit to using good form you will see the benefits

good luck!

I use traditional running shoes with forefoot running and I have eaten the soles up. Obviously not designed for this style. However my 4mm drop shoes for short runs and crossfit have virtually no wear.

Wanted to get back to running this week, but the 100* weather is delaying it. Oh well, just a few more days until this heat breaks.

~Rock

Weather finally cooperating. Plan to get out and run a couple miles each of the next few days, then take sunday off and start my half-marathon training schedule.

~Rock

Haven't been able to run in a week because of some oral surgery I had to have done. Hoping the dentist gives me the ok to get back into running tomorrow morning.

Also picked up a pair of Free 5.0's for casual wear. So far, very comfortable, just not sure I could do them for longer runs. So they're probably stay as casual shoes for a while.

Superfeet really saved my feet and legs last season. I started having a nagging toe/foot issue with my right foot on longer runs. I realized that I was doing too many miles without enough arch support. Used the Superfeet and went to pain-free running almost immediately. Pretty amazing stuff.

I ended up ordering some of these. Have had them in for 2 or 3 runs already and boy do they make a difference. They are a little firmer than the inserts that came in my Saucony shoe, remind me more of the one in the Brooks. Definitely have some good arch support. Usually when I run I get pain in my left arch, but so far with these in I have yet to feel that. Certainly making the run more enjoyable. Thanks for the heads up on these.

I'm glad you like them. They have really changed my distance running in that I can get more miles in without as much stress.

This is week officially begins my half training. The weather is finally cooling down here, and it will be nice to get some early, long runs in on the weekend.

I used to be a kind distance runner, my body is built that way, but I haven't ran with that much aggression in years, I need to get back in and start running marathons and such

I run three days a week (M-W-Sa) and go anywhere from 2.5-4.5 miles on average. I run because it makes me a better golfer, and father to my two young daughters- running often gives me more energy!

Typically I run for 30 minutes or run for 15-18 minutes and do 15-18 minutes of core strength workouts.

I have a 10k race on Saturday. I am hoping for under 65 minutes. I have been nursing a hip imbalance but still ran 6.5 miles last Saturday in 67 minutes.

I don't count myself as a "Runner" just yet. I ran long distance events in middle school which was 20+ years ago. Since then the only running I'd participate in was running back and forth between reps marching drum and bugles corps. I have since started running and getting into it this spring. I too have been on a weight loss journey the last 1.5 years. I was up to 235 at my heaviest point January 2012. I got down to 207 last fall. I was okay with that, but that was just eating less (not technically beter) and working out doing more strength training and circuits and an elliptical run 3 days a week. I've got bad knees from Drum and Bugle Corps. My wife told me offhand in a convo about how easy I had it on the elliptical, so early spring I started running on the treadmill, and my knees were killing me, but I started to lose weight again. So I found some different knee braces and better shoes and as soon as I could I started running outside.

Since then I've lost an additional 15lbs, and my wife and I are registered to run a 5k in early October. She's always wanted me to run with her as she's done multiple marathons, and half marathons as well as 5ks but I've never been into it until now.

The next goal is to train for an olympic triathlon next summer. But running will probably be my strongest discipline.

I started my journey in January 2012 at a swelt  308 pounds. No pills, no shots, no fancy diets...just healthy eating and exercise. I can proudly say I am now at 228 pounds (6'0") with a BMI of 15.6 and had a knee surgery in the middle of it. 45 years old.

The changes in my golf game are unbelievable, but since this is a running thread, will focus there. Can only do 4-5 miles per day due to arthritis but can do them at around an 8-8:30 pace.

I feel terrific and love to run, walk when I play golf and get exercise anywhere I can. My favorite comment came from my doctor, who told me not only have I added ten years to my life, the quality of those ten years will be markedly different.

Would love to hear your stories....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

You and I could be long lost brothers man. I'm living the exact same results you are! Congrats and good luck!

I don't run for my physical health although it does have it's benefits. I run for my mental health because it's just a really good release for me.

I find this to be quite true for me as well man. Just a nice "getaway".

My wife's the distance runner in the family, she's completed several 10K's and a half marathon or two. I don't do nearly those kinds of distances, but I have been able to get in a 6:15 mile and two miles in under 13:20. I've been told I could get a 45:00 10K if I really put my mind to it, but I prefer lifting heavy things. I only run because the Army says I have to to prove I'm still fit.

Ha! My wife too is the runner in our family. But now she wants me to be her rabbit for our upcoming race because she's never been one for speed, but endurance for sure. I'm hoping to push us to an 8:00 mile and sub 25:00 for the upcoming 5k. Problem is I'm 6'3" and she's 5'3" so our difference in strides is quite discernable. We'll see what happens!

Ran my first 10k in 1:06. Pleased with that time. Was hoping for under 1:05 but my thighs had a lot of lactic acid buildup from crossfit earlier in the week and just got sluggish around mile 4.

Ran my first 10k in 1:06. Pleased with that time. Was hoping for under 1:05 but my thighs had a lot of lactic acid buildup from crossfit earlier in the week and just got sluggish around mile 4.

nice job

I am not a fan of running. I did my first road race when I was five. Junior Olympics 88 and 89(North Carolina state champ 10&under 88 & 89 in 800m and 1500m; Nationals in 89 for 1500, 9th place 10&under). While in elementary and middle school, practiced with the high school team the years my brother was in high school. Varsity cross country freshman year. Then my right knee blew up. A couple years later my left knee blew up. When I was 18 someone finally got x rays from the right angle to show why I had no cartilage and I was told I had the knees of a 70 year old.

Running in the mornings is getting tough. Last couple of days it's been near zero. Think it's soon time to invest in pants.

People here more a fan of tights or something looser?

Back