Your Favorite Practice Facility Amenity?

Definitely a good short game area - ideally with bunkers

Club cleaners, separate chipping area and putting green, and a quality range ball. Here in Texas, shade and chairs near the range stations are nice to be able to retreat to for a quick break and to make a few notes about the session.

1) Grass, not mats
2) Nice short game area, especially the bunker
3) Water/brush/club cleaner of some sort

Next would be rare . . . . .

4) Real balls as opposed to range balls (but I know this is unrealistic, and only happens at very high-end private courses, not public)

Finally, just a dream . . . . .

5) Free beer? 😁

Hmmmm.
Briggs Ranch Short Game area is pretty awesome.
Ballyhack Goat Track is great.

Probably one of those two.

Fields Ranch in Frisco had the 'what ball would you like' option. It was a first for me. Pre sorted bags of pro v's Callaway TM. It was really nice.
That’s absolutely amazing.

Hmmmm.

I was going to say just take Briggs Ranch and you have my idea of the (almost) perfect practice area.

1. Big driving range
  2. Huge putting green with both slope and flat putts.
  3. Huge green for short game, including multiple (maintained) bunkers.
  4. Side of the short game area stretches out to enable 40-75 yard shots.
  5. Balls. Lots of balls.

Only improvement I'd make off the top of my head is to toss more flags on the range.

My club has unlimited free balls. Good not great balls. Grass to hit off of most of the day. Balls go back to the mats late afternoon when the high school teams come for practice. Range is complete with area to practice fairway bunker shots. We have large chipping green that enables shots from a good distance. Only issue with it is its slopes a good amount to the north. Chipping green also has 2 green side bunkers. Large and a small putting green as well. The first thing that needs added is wash buckets on the range.

Leatherman here in Charlotte has 2 fitters on staf and carry every brand, but it's a big driving range. They have the typical stuff, trackman on the range, short game area, putting green, and even mini golf.

The biggest thing is since they carry all the brands you can go up to the fitters and give them your license and they will build you whatever demo club you want and can try out for free.

Hitting off of grass
Good range balls
Very good short game area for both chipping and putting.
Have a practice bunker

Short game area for me too. Fortunately my home course has one, including a 100 yard grass pitching range.

For me it is free balls, which is something we don't have at our course; even with a membership.

I would like balls, a short game area, a large putting surface, a bunker to practice out of - but if I could only have one it would be balls.

Before I lived here I would say a well maintained practice bunkers.

Now I'd say being able to hit driver. There's this insane thing here where even at really nice courses the range doesn't have even space for people with some speed to practice with their driver.

A good short game area is essential. They have to have a bunker for sand practice. Very few public courses in my area have bunkers. Lucky if they have a decent driving range

I always appreciate a good short game area with different options for practice

Grass tees especially if a member somewhere

And a picky one but new-ish balls is appreciated

Good short game area and a not chewed up grass range..

Short game area that is large enough so multiple people can use it at the same time (Why do people putt on the short game green?)
Bunkers in the practice area that are the same condition as the course
Yardages to the flags on the range. (Not a huge deal when you are hitting range balls)

I'm not picky. I just want practice balls that haven't been hit by a mower multiple times and still have dimples. And a low price for a medium bucket of balls.

Wants that would draw me in?

Grass that isn't dead to hit off of
Practice bunkers
Practice greens
Dedicated chipping area
Targets on the driving range to aim at with prizes for hitting them or landing your ball into them
Good food

Gotta be a good short game area. I'm not much of a range rat, but I can hit a good short game area for a few hours as long as there are ways to be creative with shot selection.

Hmmmm.

That short game area at Briggs was pretty amazing, especially lit up at night :love:

Hitting off grass is the #1 requirement. I'm fortunate enough live in the part of the country where grass rangers are easier to maintain and for most of my golf life, finding a grass range was pretty easy.

Second is a decent short game area. I get it though. A short game area isn't a 'money maker' most of the time. My normal practice range charges $5 for the short game area but makes it free if you've bought a range pass from them.

Here in DFW, it feels like practice options have gotten more limited. The two ranges closest to me sold the land to developers. Another big range facility I loved converted 90% of their bays to 'Top Tracer' covered bays and are charging $30 for large bucket.

The golf boom has put such a strain on course ranges that they many are either torn up by late morning and/or mats only on weekdays to limit the traffic.

Short game area with separate greens for Putting and chipping with bunkers are nice.
The Chi Chi Rodriguez range in Florida has a hopper you put your balls into and then it auto tees them for you every time.
Grass hitting area is a nice but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

Short game area. Some are made or not by this.

Hmmmm.

I would of never thought of the Goat Track as a practice facility item but I like it. Having actual holes to play is up there

Separate putting and chipping areas.
Being able to hit pitches from several yardages to a green.
Good bunkers

Back