Worst Club Tech Name?

Power holes, oh Wilson, I had some fun with that name when I was playing the D7 forged.

I mean, the bars used in jailbreak tech looked like jail cell bars
Yeah, I get that. But so what? What it looks like inside the head, where you can’t see it, isn’t going to do squat to sell your clubs, and communicates nothing regarding what the technology does or why it would be advantageous to you as a golfer.

It was a big miss!

Compare that to a name like Big Bertha. Those two words told you everything you wanted to know. A large head driver that sends the ball a long way.

Yeah, I get that. But so what? What it looks like inside the head, where you can’t see it, isn’t going to do squat to sell your clubs, and communicates nothing regarding what the technology does or why it would be advantageous to you as a golfer.

It was a big miss!

Compare that to a name like Big Bertha. Those two words told you everything you wanted to know. A large head driver that sends the ball a long way.
lol Big Bertha was a marketing name. Jailbreak spoke to the actual technology in the club

lol Big Bertha was a marketing name. Jailbreak spoke to the actual technology in the club
Its funny because most people didnt know what Big Bertha was when it was launched, because they didnt know the weaponry name.
They sold a lot of Jailbreak drivers haha.

Power holes is pretty bad. Makes it sound like it’s missing something.

What was the Big Bertha one, Power core that you could flip up or down in the driver? That was a classic name.

Speed Slot in Adams

someone called out Turbulators, that has to be a top 3

What was the Big Bertha one, Power core that you could flip up or down in the driver? That was a classic name.

Speed Slot in Adams

someone called out Turbulators, that has to be a top 3
Gravity core?

Its funny because most people didnt know what Big Bertha was when it was launched, because they didnt know the weaponry name.
They sold a lot of Jailbreak drivers haha.
I wonder what jailbreak would have been called if Iphone hacks never happened??

Gravity core?
yes, that's it.

fairly sure that only lasted one release cycle. Always wondered why some tech lasts a short while instead of building more on it.

HA! Rocketballz.
Rocketballz was the one that came to mind immediately when I read the thread title, but I guess it doesn't count because it's a club name, not the actual tech. That was a bad one though, we had a lot of fun with that name when guys were playing those clubs.

Honestly, I get a kick out of anything that says "Aerospace Grade." I've worked in aerospace for 20 years and we get most of our aluminum from a scrapyard.

Honestly, I get a kick out of anything that says "Aerospace Grade." I've worked in aerospace for 20 years and we get most of our aluminum from a scrapyard.
Aerospace Grade or Aerospace Quality just refers to the mix of scrap and the testing that goes with it. Tightest tolerances you can find

yes, that's it.

fairly sure that only lasted one release cycle. Always wondered why some tech lasts a short while instead of building more on it.
815 and 816 drivers had some version of the gravity core. Loved the 816 DBD

Powerbuilt had some irons that featured "elipsoid of power" technology. I always made fun of my brother, who played those irons, that the elipsoid malfunctioned :ROFLMAO:

My vote goes to RocketBallz or RocketBladez. Anything like that with a 'z' at the end makes me cringe.

"Spinsistency"

I worked in high tech for 40 years, primarily in marketing. You just don't know how this works. Jailbreak was the name chosen by Callaway's marketing department. Callaway's marketing department filed an application to trademark the Jailbreak name on January 25, 2016 in the Toys and Sporting Goods product category. The trademark was granted by the USPTO and recorded as serial number 86885328.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: JB
I was speaking to some others this week about goofy tech names. Not club names mind you, but the tech in the clubs.
First on the list was Power Slit Technology from Bridgestone a few years back.
Power Holes was also discussed and it is current.
Finally SERM in Srixon.

What tech names just make you say "come again"?
Not in golfing world but for me, it deserves a honorable mention. Transition mountain bikes came out with an internal frame guid system called TITS as in tube in tube system.

This might be the worst cause every time someone has posted it I keep laughing
My wife just asked me what I was giggling at.…

From my relatively short time playing golf I think Twist Face was pretty bad. It brought images of things I didn’t want. Like the face twisting at impact or some deformed head that I wouldn’t be able to aim or hit. Even after learning about what the tech was designed to do I couldn’t get over it to give it a real shot.

Back