Worst Club Tech Name?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was speaking to some others this week about goofy tech names. Not club names mind you, but the tech in the clubs.
First on the list was Power Slit Technology from Bridgestone a few years back.
Power Holes was also discussed and it is current.
Finally SERM in Srixon.

What tech names just make you say "come again"?

I had to quickly look up "power holes" and was not surprised at the source

I was speaking to some others this week about goofy tech names. Not club names mind you, but the tech in the clubs.
First on the list was Power Slit Technology from Bridgestone a few years back.
Power Holes was also discussed and it is current.
Finally SERM in Srixon.

What tech names just make you say "come again"?
Power slit 😂😬😂

Power slit- that’s a good one!

slingshot
powersphere
speed in motion

not sure if it counts as "tech" but -ier was pretty stupid

Nike and their RZN was pretty bad, utilizing resin and basically making a freakin rock… but SERM may take the cake.

The name or in industry terms, the handle chosen for a technology or innovation can be a great advantage. But more often than not companies completely fumble the ball.

So many examples of this. I’ll just give one as an example to get the ball rolling.

Jailbreak - while the products Callaway came out with that used this technology was a big success, the name they chose stunk. The name didn’t relate in anyway to the underlying technology. Now everybody knows what jailbreak technology does. But back then it had to be explained because the name didn’t give you a clue.

SeRM was so bad.

Power package is a training aid name.

Power Holes.

Power Holes and Power Slit should be in the marketing 101 book. Chapter 3: What Not to Name Your Product.
those two are still the top of the list for WHAT THE F WERE YOU THINKING?!

I’m not sure it’s actual ‘tech’, but I never understood naming a club Mack Daddy.

Personally, I hate seeing “A.I.” printed on anything.

I’m not sure it’s actual ‘tech’, but I never understood naming a club Mack Daddy.
Not a tech name.
A club name, which is what their tour player at the time referred to them as.

The name or in industry terms, the handle chosen for a technology or innovation can be a great advantage. But more often than not companies completely fumble the ball.

So many examples of this. I’ll just give one as an example to get the ball rolling.

Jailbreak - while the products Callaway came out with that used this technology was a big success, the name they chose stunk. The name didn’t relate in anyway to the underlying technology. Now everybody knows what jailbreak technology does. But back then it had to be explained because the name didn’t give you a clue.
I mean, the bars used in jailbreak tech looked like jail cell bars

I love the golf bags that have a pocket for waterbottles and they will have something like "hydration tech" or something there.

Like, a lined pocket is hydration tech? Better run to the patent office on that one

I love the golf bags that have a pocket for waterbottles and they will have something like "hydration tech" or something there.

Like, a lined pocket is hydration tech? Better run to the patent office on that one
Ya I was going to mention "magnet tech" when it came to some range finders as well

Ya I was going to mention "magnet tech" when it came to some range finders as well

Lol yeah another good example of that !

Power Holes and Power Slit should be in the marketing 101 book. Chapter 3: What Not to Name Your Product.
If if its gunna suck at least lean into it.

I would have have gone with “Holes of Fury” or “Bouncy Chiclets”

Back