Wilson Staff Model Collection Putters

The really sad thing about it is, their marketing department didn't go on vacation - they did exactly what they always do, which is to completely fail at marketing their products. I'd be hard pressed to think of another golf company that's so chronically bad at it. Between @JB's WGP and @Jman's feedback in this thread, they've done a far better job at pitching the product than Wilson themselves have.
Agreed. THP has provided more exposure than their marketing department.
So the million dollar question is. IF the parent company cares, why is the lack of marketing tolerated?

The really sad thing about it is, their marketing department didn't go on vacation - they did exactly what they always do, which is to completely fail at marketing their products. I'd be hard pressed to think of another golf company that's so chronically bad at it. Between @JB's WGP and @Jman's feedback in this thread, they've done a far better job at pitching the product than Wilson themselves have.
Can't wait for your thoughts on my TM22 review when it hits.

Can't wait for your thoughts on my TM22 review when it hits.
Looking forward to it. It’s actually a great looking putter, it’ll be interesting to hear your deeper thoughts on it. It’s just almost criminal that Wilson can turn out something decent like that and have their ad campaign be like “Meh…here it is, it’s 350 bucks - buy it if you want, whatever”.

Ok, I admit that I am coming across harshly towards W/S marketing staff and that might not be entirely fair.
I was fortunate enough to attend the W/S event a few years ago. All of the W/S staff present (development, marketing, and management) were very focused on improving the golf communities perception of the company and their products.

(Rant On)
It seems like Wilson Sports is only concerned about how many millions of pallets of sporting goods are being purchased by big box stores, sports franchises, colleges, etc. I honestly doubt that the bean counters at Wilson Sports understand or care that it takes more than that to be successful in the golf market.

My guess is that the amount of money spent on the 2 seasons of Driver vs Driver equals or possibly exceeds the W/S golf division's annual budget. If that's the case, then W/S has to decide to spend money on developing great products with minimal money for marketing OR meh products with money to spend on marketing.

BTW, the latter option is what got them into this mess when box sets were their priority.
(Rant Off)

Ok, I admit that I am coming across harshly towards W/S marketing staff and that might not be entirely fair.
I was fortunate enough to attend the W/S event a few years ago. All of the W/S staff present (development, marketing, and management) were very focused on improving the golf communities perception of the company and their products.

(Rant On)
It seems like Wilson Sports is only concerned about how many millions of pallets of sporting goods are being purchased by big box stores, sports franchises, colleges, etc. I honestly doubt that the bean counters at Wilson Sports understand or care that it takes more than that to be successful in the golf market.

My guess is that the amount of money spent on the 2 seasons of Driver vs Driver equals or possibly exceeds the W/S golf division's annual budget. If that's the case, then W/S has to decide to spend money on developing great products with minimal money for marketing OR meh products with money to spend on marketing.

BTW, the latter option is what got them into this mess when box sets were their priority.
(Rant Off)
I think you hit on something. For the majority of Wilson's categories they sell mainly to big box stores. Dick's, Academy, Costco ect. Golf is different. There is GG and PGATSS but the business is also golf stores and pro shops. Maybe they don't understand the difference. There are always jobs at stake so I assume they care. If JMan's teases are an indication they are going the great product route.

I think you hit on something. For the majority of Wilson's categories they sell mainly to big box stores. Dick's, Academy, Costco ect. Golf is different. There is GG and PGATSS but the business is also golf stores and pro shops. Maybe they don't understand the difference. There are always jobs at stake so I assume they care. If JMan's teases are an indication they are going the great product route.
Wilson Staff cares. Wilson Sports possibly? Though I doubt they care enough (or have the leeway) to right the ship. The parent corporation's (Amer Sports previously and Anta Sports currently) only concern is ROI.

James teasers are right on the money. W/S is capable of producing really good equipment. They just can't seem to get out of their own way. Now is Corporate the issue or is it W/S?

I've derailed this thread way too long. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I'm looking forward to reading James' review and seeing more of his stellar pictures of the putter.

Wilson doesn't have the cache it once had, but those are pretty sweet-looking putters. That 8802 is a blade's blade and definitely not for the faint-hearted (like me).

350 puts them in tough competition. I'd had figured they would have gone for the 299 price point since that seems to be a sweet spot. Also allows you to be seen a solid option and not cheap. I know it's only 50 bucks but I'm not sure a lot will spend 350 plus on a Wilson putter
Agree. $50 more than the Mizuno which has better reputation for quality these days. The Wilsons look well-made but I would definitely go with the Mizuno before spending more money on the Wilson. I was really impressed by the look and feel of the M-Craft during a recent visit to Club Champion.

Agreed. THP has provided more exposure than their marketing department.
So the million dollar question is. IF the parent company cares, why is the lack of marketing tolerated?
I'd be hard pressed to think of another golf company that's so chronically bad at it.

PXG? :ROFLMAO:

PXG yells "Kaboom Baby!!!!" and screams at you about pigs rolling around in mud. Wilson just isn't even there. If you didn't read golf forums you wouldn't even know they exist.

PXG yells "Kaboom Baby!!!!" and screams at you about pigs rolling around in mud. Wilson just isn't even there. If you didn't read golf forums you wouldn't even know they exist.
So true... They release a great product like this putter collection then leave it to sink or swim on it's own. That doesn't work in the social media age of marketing.

I love the feel of this putter line. Softer and more solid feeling than my Camerons and my mizuno’s but not as soft as a odyssey DFX face. Best feeling putter I’ve hit and I ordered one for that reason.

I love the feel of this putter line. Softer and more solid feeling than my Camerons and my mizuno’s but not as soft as a odyssey DFX face. Best feeling putter I’ve hit and I ordered one for that reason.
I literally just hit on at a PGAGSS and thought it was awesome. Still expensive. I have a Bucktown and putt well with it and save about $249

Rolled the 8802 today and it was quite enjoyable. There was a denseness to it that was really pleasing.

Rolled the 8802 today and it was quite enjoyable. There was a denseness to it that was really pleasing.
They feel excellent. They’re well made. They’ve got a legendary designer behind them.

The only thing holding them back?

Wilson dropping the ball marketing wise again.

They’re not in our Golf Galaxy…

They feel excellent. They’re well made. They’ve got a legendary designer behind them.

The only thing holding them back?

Wilson dropping the ball marketing wise again.
Yep, first one I've seen in the wild of this entire line. Given my experience I might have bought the head that is better suited to my stroke but alas…

I found these in a shop. I gotta say, the fact that these were NOT the go to milled putters since their release is staggering. I rolled the TM22 (the 7 shape). The impact did not feel like a strike. It felt like a cushioned push. For a milled putter to be that soft was marvelous.

The look was also CLEAN! How these aren't pushing other premium milled putters out of bags blows my mind.

I understand I've got Wilson colored glasses on, but damn it's a shame these are not being raved about more.

I found these in a shop. I gotta say, the fact that these were NOT the go to milled putters since their release is staggering. I rolled the TM22 (the 7 shape). The impact did not feel like a strike. It felt like a cushioned push. For a milled putter to be that soft was marvelous.

The look was also CLEAN! How these aren't pushing other premium milled putters out of bags blows my mind.

I understand I've got Wilson colored glasses on, but damn it's a shame these are not being raved about more.
I said it from the start.

They bungled the release. The people there then, screwed it up.

The Clay Long story should have been told, they should have priced it with Mizuno, and they should have included a weight kit. They’d have gotten SOME traction then.

I said it from the start.

They bungled the release. The people there then, screwed it up.

The Clay Long story should have been told, they should have priced it with Mizuno, and they should have included a weight kit. They’d have gotten SOME traction then.
I'm just going to say it, I liked the Staff Model putter better than the AI Milled. Felt better and looked better.

HOW these are not IN THE BAGS of golfers....just failure

I'm just going to say it, I liked the Staff Model putter better than the AI Milled. Felt better and looked better.

HOW these are not IN THE BAGS of golfers....just failure
One of those is an insert, the other is fully milled, they HAVE to feel different. There’s also zero tech here, it’s a milled putter, and it’s over-priced for the brand behind it. That’s just reality.

One of those is an insert, the other is fully milled, they HAVE to feel different. There’s also zero tech here, it’s a milled putter, and it’s over-priced for the brand behind it. That’s just reality.
I think the tech with the Staff Model is the subtleties of the shaping and the materials. Yes, it's just a milled putter, its a better milled putter because it's better milled. If that makes sense.

This thread is getting me fired up. Choices to be made.

I think the tech with the Staff Model is the subtleties of the shaping and the materials. Yes, it's just a milled putter, its a better milled putter because it's better milled. If that makes sense.

This thread is getting me fired up. Choices to be made.
IS it better milled? Because a different shaping, or a unique take on a shape, doesn’t mean a different milling process, no?

Back