Wilson Staff Model Collection Putters

I get the marketing frustration. It would be super helpful and really great looking if it had something along the lines of “designed by Clay Long” as an example. Maybe he doesn’t want it that way?? I believe he also had a hand in the OG milled grind wedges with TaylorMade, which you also don’t see any marketing behind it with his name on it.

Regardless, he did an amazing job on these. The anser style blade looks fantastic in all aspects as does the #7. They definitely have Clay’s look to them, especially the #7.

These look amazing! I'm still a Wilson fan but am having a hard time getting over the price. I'll have to see them in person but my initial reaction has my wondering why it makes sense to pay more than something like a Mizuno.

I get the marketing frustration. It would be super helpful and really great looking if it had something along the lines of “designed by Clay Long” as an example. Maybe he doesn’t want it that way?? I believe he also had a hand in the OG milled grind wedges with TaylorMade, which you also don’t see any marketing behind it with his name on it.

Regardless, he did an amazing job on these. The anser style blade looks fantastic in all aspects as does the #7. They definitely have Clay’s look to them, especially the #7.
As we said on WGP a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn’t want to see his name on the putter, but the fact that the only way anybody knew was from Clay as the Wilson media materials said nothing was interesting. Not in the “how dare they” way. But rather here is a brand entering a new category, it should be the most robust messaging possible.

The pictures are beautiful. Great job JMan. Another thing you excel at. The putters are gorgeous. I’ll forever be a Wilson guy so this makes me happy. It appears they are trying to create a STAFF category. Ball, putter, irons, wedge, glove…… they need the driver. They are the kings of odd decisions. They go from Manolo to Clay Long. One they should have kept quiet the other they should have talked about. LOUDLY. Wish they’d get it together. They’ve got the goods.

Last edited:
As we said on WGP a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn’t want to see his name on the putter, but the fact that the only way anybody knew was from Clay as the Wilson media materials said nothing was interesting. Not in the “how dare they” way. But rather here is a brand entering a new category, it should be the most robust messaging possible.

Only Clay and Wilson really know. Like I mentioned previous, maybe it was an agreement between the two parties? Who knows. Regardless, they put out some really nice putters to match the quality of the irons, which is only a good thing for the brand.

They just continue to improve the quality of their products, which is great. Consider me a fan with or without marketing.

Only Clay and Wilson really know. Like I mentioned previous, maybe it was an agreement between the two parties? Who knows. Regardless, they put out some really nice putters to match the quality of the irons, which is only a good thing for the brand.

They just continue to improve the quality of their products, which is great. Consider me a fan with or without marketing.
I mean after speaking to Clay, we do. But nothing like some agreement took place hence the reason he is speaking about it. The putters are rock solid, but I stand by what I said on WGP and will continue to.

If it weren't for the forum and WGP I would not know this line existed. Same for the D9 Forged. Its so strange to me its a big turn away.

I mean after speaking to Clay, we do. But nothing like some agreement took place hence the reason he is speaking about it. The putters are rock solid, but I stand by what I said on WGP and will continue to.
Guess I’ve gotta listen to WGP.

I listened and enjoyed the most recent edition of WGP. I wish Wilson's marketing team would get their head out of their rear end. I have heard Clay Long's name for years. A legend lending his skill validates your product. Guess it doesn't matter to Wilson..Damn Cad Monster

Last edited:

Thanks. I have not listened to it yet. That makes more sense now. Just to be clear, I’m in agreement with your thoughts.

That's a fantastic 7 shape, I really really like it. except for the wide alignment lines.
The crazy thing, I never noticed them because of how those wide lines sit at the bottom of the rounded transition to the flat sole. I thought it was just another corner in the geometry.

I have the Bucktown and haven't looked to see if it is the same shape. On my putter, I find the alignment lines frame my putt nicely. I putt really well with it. In fairness it is over $200 less.

I have a lot to say about this.

I’m getting quite, bothered, by this all as a reviewer who’s main wheelhouse is putters and putter design.

I want to save a lot of it for an article, but I’m irked. This putter is fantastic, and the line deserves more than I think it will get.

03E2076D-4511-43CB-B94F-4B348CF5FB40.jpeg

I’m getting quite, bothered, by this all as a reviewer who’s main wheelhouse is putters and putter design.

I want to save a lot of it for an article, but I’m irked. This putter is fantastic, and the line deserves more than I think it will get.

View attachment 9132767
Looking forward to your thoughts.

The more I see of this putter line, the more I like and want one. Because it's not getting the publicity or treatment from Wilson it deserves, kind of want to help carry the torch.

The more I see of this putter line, the more I like and want one. Because it's not getting the publicity or treatment from Wilson it deserves, kind of want to help carry the torch.
The material needs more talk too. The feel is, really dang good.

I just saw on my IG feed that Wilson hired the Senior Director of Product testing from another online golf equipment site as their Pro Performance Equipment Manager. I don't frequent the other site or know the guy. It sounds like Wilson is getting the message.

The material needs more talk too. The feel is, really dang good.
I know you'll cover a lot of this, I'm excited to read it.

There's a story here. These aren't *just* a milled putter. There is a lot of thought out into this offering to make it standout in the crowded market, Wilson needs to make sure the consuming public knows this, they're asleep at the wheel here.

I know you'll cover a lot of this, I'm excited to read it.

There's a story here. These aren't *just* a milled putter. There is a lot of thought out into this offering to make it standout in the crowded market, Wilson needs to make sure the consuming public knows this, they're asleep at the wheel here.
I read an online article that described the milling process. JMan will tell the story better because that's what JMan does. It's on W/S to tell the story to the trade and the consumer. The article I read spoke about how deliberate and methodical W/S has been in curating a STAFF collection of equipment .Although that is the right process for them, it is frustrating. They will need a STAFF driver to have a complete STAFF brand. DynaPwr is not that driver although it sounds promising.

Saw these on budget for sale. They look impressive for sure.

I read an online article that described the milling process. JMan will tell the story better because that's what JMan does. It's on W/S to tell the story to the trade and the consumer. The article I read spoke about how deliberate and methodical W/S has been in curating a STAFF collection of equipment .Although that is the right process for them, it is frustrating. They will need a STAFF driver to have a complete STAFF brand. DynaPwr is not that driver although it sounds promising.
I’ll get into it a little. Haha

Streelman using the MT22.
01FDBAD7-A837-4DBB-B888-23B041BB70DE.jpeg

I played a lot of Wilson clubs over the years. Staffs, Fluid Feels, Goosenecks. Made my own combo sets with Fluid Feels and 1,2,3 & 4 I Goosenecks before combo sets were a thing. The fit, finish and feel of these forgings was superb. Unfortunately the shaft over hosel design of the Goosenecks couldn't handle my crazy swing speeds back then. I got a set of Yonex irons, and got away from Wilson for quite a while, and when I looked at them again they were pushing crap unpolished castings that looked cheap and played worse. I have seen the newer Wilson forgings, and if I were in the market, I would certainly give them a spin, great looking clubs, with excellent fit and finish. Why they were only at discount sporting goods stores was beyond my understanding.

So now Wilson wants to go from the discount house brand to the upper end of the market with these new putters. I wish them luck, but that's going to be a tough hill to climb to respectability in one step, even for a company that was once on the top of the mountain. Most of today's golfers are too young to remember when Wilson dominated the pro shop market, the PGA Tour, etc etc. Particularly when the putters are essentially knock offs of the M-Craft and other lineups, but more expensive. I wish them luck, but am dubious as to weather or not this course of action will succeed.

It is truly a shame that W/S takes the time, effort and money to produce a line of clubs, in this case putters, and then Marketing goes on vacation. It almost seems like that W/S has to decide between spending money on manufacturing and marketing.

Maybe someone with more industry knowledge will provide additional information. However, my take is that the parent company doesn't give a d@mn about their golf division.

It is truly a shame that W/S takes the time, effort and money to produce a line of clubs, in this case putters, and then Marketing goes on vacation. It almost seems like that W/S has to decide between spending money on manufacturing and marketing.

Maybe someone with more industry knowledge will provide additional information. However, my take is that the parent company doesn't give a d@mn about their golf division.
The really sad thing about it is, their marketing department didn't go on vacation - they did exactly what they always do, which is to completely fail at marketing their products. I'd be hard pressed to think of another golf company that's so chronically bad at it. Between @JB's WGP and @Jman's feedback in this thread, they've done a far better job at pitching the product than Wilson themselves have.

Back