Wilson D9 Forged Irons

Would a retail buyer be hesitant to buy Wilson with their lower sales expectation? Until they found that it did become a big seller...I doubt it because their marketing reach and pull has been limited
You may have missed my point. If the product and the marketing is right the smart retailer will see it and buy it in better numbers than he/she has in recent seasons. Not crazy big but bigger. Several seasons of 10-15% increases in sales add up. The reps goal. Get a 8-10% increase in their key categories.

1st round done with the new D9 forged irons. Oh the impact feel & sound.......................pure butter. It's been a while since I hit a forged iron. The D9 forged irons are 1 degree stronger with the 6 iron, 1/2 degrees stronger with the 7 & 8 irons and the same loft with the 9 & PW. I noticed a distance increase of almost one club longer, per iron, compared to the Launcher XL Halo irons. Range session tomorrow and playing Friday. (y)(y)(y)(y)

1st round done with the new D9 forged irons. Oh the impact feel & sound.......................pure butter. It's been a while since I hit a forged iron. The D9 forged irons are 1 degree stronger with the 6 iron, 1/2 degrees stronger with the 7 & 8 irons and the same loft with the 9 & PW. I noticed a distance increase of almost one club longer, per iron, compared to the Launcher XL Halo irons. Range session tomorrow and playing Friday. (y)(y)(y)(y)

Any more updates?

Curious for some updates here too. I'm itching for some new irons and am looking at the D9s. Wondering how they compare to the following:
-Mizuno 225s and even HMPs
-Ping i525s and i210s
-Srixon ZX5s

Solid midish handicapper here, strike it well and could be better if I played more.

They sent an email saying I was eligible for "early release pre-order" on the day they launched everywhere 🤔🤦‍♂️

well if that doesn’t win you over I don’t know what will.

I want to hit these. They look fantastic.

hopefully, mine get here within the next week or so...they only offer ground shipping on "custom" orders.

I've joined this party late but I'm blown away by these irons. My motivation was better control on the 50 yard bump and run shots I like to make. My cast clubs with me as the driver are hit and miss on distance. When the D9's showed up I ran to the local course to work on short game. Far more intuitive on distance. I won't say far more backspin but rather just more consistant carry and run out. Like I've gone from driving a big pickup to a small sports car. I really like the relatively small offset of these irons.

so with that in hand, I went to full swing 8i's. Hit some of my closed face irons shots which were on par with my old wilson C300 cast irons, then I caught a few flush with a nice squareface and wow! distance and butter. I won't really understand the distance until I play them a few times.

I have a sensation with these irons that I felt with the ping i525's in a demo. The sensation is they feel short, upright and I know exactly how to swing them without over swinging. they are .25 inches shorter then my cast wilson c300 but other specs are the same. I don't know how to explain this. When I was demo-ing the i525 ping I was putting the same shaft in a ping 425 head which I did not hit nearly as well as the smaller 525.

Even though I can't explain, I am so wow'd by this purchase. I think I can grow into these clubs for many years. Thank You Wilson!

does anyone have experiene with the d9 forged 3 or 4 iron vs the wilson staff driving iron. Today I played driver, 3w and irons only. Have major gap from 5i to 3w.

My reservation about the driving iron is the graphite shaft. Just about anything I own that has graphite shafts I can turn into a hook machine.

does anyone have experiene with the d9 forged 3 or 4 iron vs the wilson staff driving iron. Today I played driver, 3w and irons only. Have major gap from 5i to 3w.

My reservation about the driving iron is the graphite shaft. Just about anything I own that has graphite shafts I can turn into a hook machine.
I don't have experience with the Wilson, but my TEE driving iron is my first ever. I got it with a heavier and stiffer graphite shaft than I use in my driver or 3w. That weight/rigidity difference, I think, has prevented this from being a hook machine. Now I can put a poor swing on it and still get a hook.

I found the 4i driving iron is more forgiving and slightly longer than my set 4i.

I hit the DI this summer at Myrtle Beach and it wasn't nearly as forgiving as the Fli-Hi in my opinion.

I did a head/head comparison yesterday with the D9 in the ~100g stiff shaft vs. my old cast wilson c300's in a ~100g stiff shaft. The result was very consistant with my on course experineces. 7 iron vs 7 iron my distance and dispersion are similar with my swing, the forged just feels better. GW to GW, the distance is simlar and dispesion slightly better with the D9. It should be noted the D9 has no power holes in the GW whereas that is not the case for the C300. My target distance with the GW is 105 and I hit several with both clubs just under 95 and several pushing 120. So neither club can save me from a poor swing totally and both if hit pure and really getting high in the air can carry.

The performance difference was seen when I went to 60 yard approach shots with the GW. I hit all three balls with the D9 through what could have been a double door 20 yards off the ground and I'm not certain if 1 ball would have gone through that opening with the cast. I had a mis left and a mis right. This has been my on course experience with the D9's in general from 85 yards in; I'm just far more accurate on touch shots. Saturday it allowed me to swing pretty poorly on my full swings and salvage many a par. on #15 I was trying to chip a par in from 25ft with my 7i and was a foot left of hole with perfect distance. I recall thinking no joy in that because I thought I might make it. My expectations of what are possible have grown and in my first 3 rounds. I'm certain I've saved 3 to 5 strokes per round just in short game accuracy alone in these past weeks.

The stock shaft in the D9 I will work with until spring to see if I come to love it with my swing or not. it is not the height monster that my KBS tour 90's were but they also play more under control in wind which is a plus.

It’s funny this thread popped up. @Scooby45 had a small text exchange about these. Would I be stupid to buy two sets of irons? (I can get these steeply discounted)

It’s funny this thread popped up. @Scooby45 had a small text exchange about these. Would I be stupid to buy two sets of irons? (I can get these steeply discounted)
I don’t like you buying blind A handful of swings I took they look good and feel good. My local shop has them if you want to make a weekend out here.

these are exceptionally excellent.

I bought blind on a pretty good deal. But I trust if so many feel good about the D9 and that I as a Wilson irons player for 10 years I would like them. the question in my mind is would less offset and the forged face make me better and the strong answer is yes.

I'm interested in a second set as well. I hit balls almost daily and can use my old C300's for that duty but like the feel of the D9 better.

Change of heart? 😂 I can get Recoil 110 F5.
I mean, I’ve told you all the half dozen other times you were about to buy new irons to come get fit bit you haven’t listened yet…

so I say go for it!

anyone still game these?

my iron swing has come on in 2023 about 75% of the swings and I'm so lovng the effortless control of these irons. My miss right now is a thin shot that generally is straigth but just lower and shorter then a great swing. The number of low dispersion shots I've hit vs my historical dispersion the last 10 rounds really stands out. In getting a more controlled swing, I have lost about 1/2 a club distance but my conistancy is really good.

If I could change something about these irons, I would eliminate the power holes. I don't hit the 7i and better or worse then say the 8 with no holes.

Never gamed them but have always liked the topline view of the Wilson players distance irons...power holes...eh take them or leave them...as long as the filler doesn't pop out anymore like early versions

I have two sets of cast irons sets from Wilson with Power holes that are now old and used heavily and I've not had a problem. Hopefully that trend continues.

Just I like to dip my iron heads in water quickly and scrub them after a round and won't do that with heads that have openings to trap water.

Back