Why do we combo set?

Only combo set I've played is the S3 pros. I liked them and they were designed as a combo set. Don't think I would go out of my way to create one but I do think about it.
4,5 i200
6/7/8 S55
9/pw iblade

I've never gamed a combo set, but wouldn't be opposed to one that is designed that way by the company (the former Nike Pro Combos exhibit A). However, what I don't get is when someone does a combo that isnt designed (example is XR long irons to Apex CF). Ultimately, do what makes you and your game happy!

I have never tried one, but would like to try a set of Srixon 565/765 irons.
:clapp:

I have never tried one, but would like to try a set of Srixon 565/765 irons.
:clapp:

I currently play the z765s but I'm strongly considering ordering a 8, 9, and PW in the 965s for a bit more feel on those approach shots. But it's still a hard sell cause the 765s are so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of going to a combo set because I love my current irons (C200's) in the scoring irons, but I the idea of the more forgiving and longer D300's in the long irons (primarily for off the tee) is appealing to me. Thinking of going 5,6 D300, 7-GW C200.

I enjoyed my J40 CB/DPC combo set, I'd have to do some testing to make sure the combo was pretty seamless though. I do like the idea of the factory combo set like Cobra came out with last year still. I also like consistency in my iron set for a lot of the newer offering like Apex CF16's, 765's, and F7's etc. So I don't really think I'd do it anymore.

I know I do. I think manufactured combo sets and lines that are designed to flow (565/765/965 for example) are OK, but I always scratch my head when I see set combos of, say, AP2's and 716 CB's.

I saw some guys talking about those combo sets at the PGA Show.
Even the guys at Titleist last week said there was no need to do that combo you are talking about.

I love the fact that my F6 set progresses from a hollow 5 all the way down to a blade SW

I like combo sets and they are certainly not a new concept. The 1980 Taylormade Tour Preferred set I played from 1980 to 1999 had hollow 2, 3, and 4 irons and the rest were muscle back blades.

I'm currently playing a set of 765/565's and I don't even notice when dropping to the longer irons that they look any different. I have both the 765 and 565 6 irons and there is only 3-4 yards carry difference between them. I don't carry a 5 iron at my home course so there is already a decent yardage gag in my bag. I've always adjusted what clubs are in my bag to the course that I'm playing that day. Sometimes that means pulling one of my wedges, sometimes it means substituting a hybrid or driving irons for a fairway wood, but most often it means I pull either my 4, 5 or 6 iron out of the bag.

I know I do. I think manufactured combo sets and lines that are designed to flow (565/765/965 for example) are OK, but I always scratch my head when I see set combos of, say, AP2's and 716 CB's.

Ya that set doesn't make sense to me but a CB/MB combo set looks just awesome to me. I had the 712 MB's and loved them. I probably should have just put the CB's in the 4-6 irons but I was stupid and got rid of the entire set

I love the idea of a combo set but I understand both sides of the argument.

If you can get a set that flows beautifully I think it makes a ton of sense having a higher spin design in the scoring irons. I've been tempted many times to grab a 41 and 45 Ft. Worth blade to combo my Hogans.

I haven't done it, and wouldn't consider it with my current game. I need maximum forgiveness all throughout the bag.

Ya that set doesn't make sense to me but a CB/MB combo set looks just awesome to me. I had the 712 MB's and loved them. I probably should have just put the CB's in the 4-6 irons but I was stupid and got rid of the entire set
Agreed on the CB/MB combo sets... it's like business in the front, party in the back. Sort of the players' irons version of the mullet

I used to not understand the thinking behind combo sets but as I've continued to play it makes a lot of sense now. I love my irons but occasionally wish my 9-AW were a little more svelte. I could definitely see my next set being a combo of whatever the next Apex/Apex Pros looks like. Really like how Callaway offers a combo set with the necessary adjustments made.

Because: Internet Golfers

I've never done it myself but don't think there's anything wrong with it. I think I may eventually try mixing my JPX 900 forged with the Tours at some point this year.

I wanted to try a set of blades this year and tested some during a full bag fitting at Club Champion. I ended up getting the best results from Mizuno's MP-5's, but found that despite being able to hit the MB relatively straight and better than my previous CB style clubs they did lose too much ball speed on off center hits. I'm talking hits that felt decent and produced good ball flights. I saw on average 5 or so mph's difference in ball speed and around 10 yards carry. So I decided to go with the MB's in the 7-PW and a somewhat CB design in the 4-6 (Mizuno JPX 900 Tour). The lengths, lofts, and lie angles are the same from Mizuno between the two sets so they flow seamlessly together. I've really enjoyed them and could see myself purchasing combo sets again in the future.

Imo a lot of people play combo bags (Perhaps not combo sets). Bladed wedges to non Bladed irons to hybrids. I have nothing against it. But the progression should make sense

Love the combo. I like the profile as I move down to wedges, combined with the forgiveness of longer irons

I've never seen or heard anyone trying to do a cb/ap2 combo. Have you seen that somewhere?

Imo a lot of people play combo bags (Perhaps not combo sets). Bladed wedges to non Bladed irons to hybrids. I have nothing against it. But the progression should make sense

So kc720 already said what I wanted to say. We all play combo bags to a certain extent, especially given the way that almost all wedges are constructed right now.

Also, you could make the argument that some companies are already making iron sets that play like a combo set, but are under the same name. Cobra F6 irons last year and F7 irons this year are a great example of that, there were 4 different constructions within that iron set. You could also say the same for the Apex CF irons, given that the cupface technology is only in 7 iron and up.

I love my combo set. Little forgiveness up top. None in the scoring zone lol. I just enjoy the look and feel of the blades and I'm confident in them enough to play a full set but why not get the best of both worlds?
9be0716b7271ebbfdbf09b2088c62bf1.jpg

Top end combos weren't even in my thoughts -- But good call.

I think right now I'd be more inclined to just commit to a UT if I'm in the 4 iron'ish loft.

I'm with you here. I'm a huge fan of the UT landscape. I'm considering making some changes as we speak.

I saw some guys talking about those combo sets at the PGA Show.
Even the guys at Titleist last week said there was no need to do that combo you are talking about.
Yessir. Those guys were pretty interesting.

Yep, it was a wild off the cuff example. But, it is the Internet, and people be crazy.

Yessir. Those guys were pretty interesting.

Yep, it was a wild off the cuff example. But, it is the Internet, and people be crazy.
It's funny you mentioned it because it came up last week.

Back