Why do we combo set?

PhillyV

Original Ass-Cap : G15' & G18'
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
So ive seen both sides of the discussion, some love combo sets and some are against the concept. Where do you stand and why?

I for one love the idea of combo sets for no other reason than it looks badass

I dislike combo sets for the sole reason that the club's look differently at address

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't think I'd combo anything more than MB/CB. Beyond that I think there's too much tech involved to avoid a big gap in the heart of the bag.

...my argument for doing so would be that I already blend wedges into it, may as well keep the MB train going through to the 8 or 7 haha

I did it a long time ago when I ordered i10's. I went with a G10 4 and 5 iron. There are days I loved it and days I hated it. For me I see no reason to combo in the scoring part of my bag, but I could see myself going with more hollow bodied irons in the longer clubs.

Never done a combo set but I'm leaning pretty strongly that in 2018 that will change. Currently playing the 745's (which I love), the tinkering side of me wants to try and combo of 900's/700's/500's. Move forgiving with the longer irons in the 500's and then work my way down. Will it work or be any better than just having the 700's across the bag, who knows, but only one way to find out! :D

I have no problem with the idea in general, but I'm a big fan of a combo for the long irons. 4/5 something like that, sometimes even down to 6 depending on how well they blend. If I'd entertain the idea of a hybrid in the same spot, having a different more forgiving iron is the same idea.

Because I put hybrid shafts in my 3/4 and smash those bad boys like woods.

I have no problem with the idea in general, but I'm a big fan of a combo for the long irons. 4/5 something like that, sometimes even down to 6 depending on how well they blend. If I'd entertain the idea of a hybrid in the same spot, having a different more forgiving iron is the same idea.
Exactly. I've only seen people "combo" to gain some additional control or performance in the long irons. I'm personally not a fan, but that just become I want uniform irons.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I did it a long time ago when I ordered i10's. I went with a G10 4 and 5 iron. There are days I loved it and days I hated it. For me I see no reason to combo in the scoring part of my bag, but I could see myself going with more hollow bodied irons in the longer clubs.

Top end combos weren't even in my thoughts -- But good call.

I think right now I'd be more inclined to just commit to a UT if I'm in the 4 iron'ish loft.

What does combo set mean? Irons of different types?

i like them a lot. they make a lot of sense to me as long as the gapping works. in longer irons, i'm just trying to find the green or end up somewhere close to it. so no real need to work the ball, just trying to make solid contact. but in the shorter clubs, i want to be more precise to try to set up scoring opportunities. that might mean flighting, or shaping, and i feel like spinnier, small heads help that. they also amplify misses, but hopefully i'm not missing too badly with shorter irons, whereas i miss a lot with longer clubs.

My Apex/Apex Pro combo set is perfection. I really don't notice any difference at address at all. I like the idea of longer irons being a touch more forgiving and scoring irons demanding accuracy.

Though I have never owned or played a pure iron combo set, there is nothing about it that I am opposed to. Most of us in essence play a combo set in that you typically see hybrids in place of 3 and 4 irons and those certainly do not look like our iron sets.

What does combo set mean? Irons of different types?

correct. For example some players will go from a cavity iron to more of a muscle back design

I've never liked to combo set. The reason is there's usually a substantial distance difference between the players irons and the GI clubs. I looked into it with the srixons. But with the loft differences between the sets, I'd have to do some major bending to get everything gapped correctly.

I had a combo set of z745 and z545 irons. I loved the z745 but absolutely hated the z545 irons. I do not think that I will do a combo set again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have combo'd some CBs/MBs a few times before. I enjoyed the added forgiveness in the long irons and the precision in the short irons.

what about manufacturer-created combo sets? I assume people sees these differently? I currently play nike vapor pro combos and they are technically a combo set, right? I love them, btw

I think it all comes down to preference, I understand why some like it and why some don't. I have kind of a "combo" set in my irons, partially because I wanted something really easy to hit on my 5I, but mostly because I am cheap.

Getting an Apex 5I would have cost me about $190 new, or the Steelhead XR 5I cost me $131.... so yeah, I figured more forgiving, easier to launch and 70% of the price works for me.

what about manufacturer-created combo sets? I assume people sees these differently? I currently play nike vapor pro combos and they are technically a combo set, right? I love them, btw

I know I do. I think manufactured combo sets and lines that are designed to flow (565/765/965 for example) are OK, but I always scratch my head when I see set combos of, say, AP2's and 716 CB's.

Because playing blades is cool. Because admitting that we are not good enough to confidently stand over a blade 7i, 6i, 5i, 4i, or a 3i is not cool.

I'm in favor of them. Get looks and performance one likes in the scoring clubs and then in the longer irons again looks once can live with with the added benefit of forgiveness. It's what makes golf an gear so great and fun. We can play what looks good to us and that we look forward to,going out and playing.

My combo set of hogans ft worth 15s and PTX work flawlessly together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in favor of them. Get looks and performance one likes in the scoring clubs and then in the longer irons again looks once can live with with the added benefit of forgiveness. It's what makes golf an gear so great and fun. We can play what looks good to us and that we look forward to,going out and playing.

I like golf, gear, and fun.

I have never tried a combo set, so I have no valid opinion on this.
Maybe some day.....

Back