Why do we combo set?

I've never felt the need, with my game I don't find a negative to forgiving irons in the scoring irons.

Never done a combo set but I'm leaning pretty strongly that in 2018 that will change. Currently playing the 745's (which I love), the tinkering side of me wants to try and combo of 900's/700's/500's. Move forgiving with the longer irons in the 500's and then work my way down. Will it work or be any better than just having the 700's across the bag, who knows, but only one way to find out! :D

I knew I liked you for a reason.

I've did it because my fitter said so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo a lot of people play combo bags (Perhaps not combo sets). Bladed wedges to non Bladed irons to hybrids. I have nothing against it. But the progression should make sense
Hybrids are a good point and basically how the idea of a combo set started I think. Lots of guys can hit a 6 iron no problem but can't hit a 4i to save their life - enter the hybrid.
The basic idea to get more forgiveness/launch where you need it the most isn't a new one.

On the other side - A pro I took lessons from briefly said that if you can't hit the 4 iron high and soft you are playing the wrong irons. Perhaps some truth to that but I disagree.

Now I want to make a combo set.

I thought about a combo set of Ping G and I200 irons. Mainly because I like the look of the I200's and figured I could hit them fine in short irons, but probably not as well in the mid to long irons. So it would have been a way to enjoy a few clubs in the model. But ended up accepting I would probably be better off with just the G's. But I do have a couple of Glide wedges that gives me a little different look.

I thought about a combo set of Ping G and I200 irons. Mainly because I like the look of the I200's and figured I could hit them fine in short irons, but probably not as well in the mid to long irons. So it would have been a way to enjoy a few clubs in the model. But ended up accepting I would probably be better off with just the G's. But I do have a couple of Glide wedges that gives me a little different look.

Same here. I've been considering I200 in 7-U and keeping my g25 5-6. Not sure it would really help me any, but the internet golfer in me wants to try it.

I love my combo set. Little forgiveness up top. None in the scoring zone lol. I just enjoy the look and feel of the blades and I'm confident in them enough to play a full set but why not get the best of both worlds?
9be0716b7271ebbfdbf09b2088c62bf1.jpg
That is just HOT looking!!!! :bulgy-eyes:

I knew I liked you for a reason.

I've did it because my fitter said so.

Actually may go more 700's and 900's the more I think about it but need to hit the 500's come time.

I keep thinking about getting z 765 in my 7 through wedge and honestly I think it's just because I think it would look good

So we can play the irons we lust after in the short irons because they're all easy (ish) to hit, and also have forgiveness where we need it.

For me I see no reason to combo in the scoring part of my bag, but I could see myself going with more hollow bodied irons in the longer clubs.

This is me, but I have a Combo set I want to build

Cobra OS 5/6 Irons Cobra F7 7/8 irons and Cobra F7 Forged 9/PW/GW

If gapping makes senses, have a different iron for every slot in the bag. Not really any different than what Kong said. Lots of us use bladed wedges and play hybrids at the top with something in-between.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If gapping makes senses, have a different iron for every slot in the bag. Not really any different than what Kong said. Lots of us use bladed wedges and play hybrids at the top with something in-between.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep, all of us who play muscle back blades in our wedges but don't in our irons are absolutely playing a "combo" set. If you put hybrids into the mix it's a tri-combo set!

Many times over the years I've enjoyed asking the forged iron snobs why they play cast Vokey wedges and a cast putter. I guess that extra "feel" that they insisted they need from their forged irons ceases to be important when they get near or on the green.

Yep, all of us who play muscle back blades in our wedges but don't in our irons are absolutely playing a "combo" set. If you put hybrids into the mix it's a tri-combo set!

Many times over the years I've enjoyed asking the forged iron snobs why they play cast Vokey wedges and a cast putter. I guess that extra "feel" that they insisted they need from their forged irons ceases to be important when they get near or on the green.
I think this boils down to availability honestly. Yes there are some forged wedges (Callaway, mizuno) but if you're trying to keep a consistent brand in the bag going with cast wedges isn't the worst thing in the world. I don't normally hit full wedges with my cast wedges. I can definitely tell the difference between my fg100 and pmp wedges but it's not as dramatic of a difference as many make it out to be.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think this boils down to availability honestly. Yes there are some forged wedges (Callaway, mizuno) but if you're trying to keep a consistent brand in the bag going with cast wedges isn't the worst thing in the world. I don't normally hit full wedges with my cast wedges. I can definitely tell the difference between my fg100 and pmp wedges but it's not as dramatic of a difference as many make it out to be.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Almost without exception, the forged snobs I've encountered during a round don't know that their wedges are not forged. I have a set of FG100 irons and numerous Wilson Staff cast wedges and certainly can't discern any "feel" difference. I'll argue that if forged had the best "feel" wouldn't we see more forged putters or at least forged putter faces.

I used to and still can see the benefits but I only carry up to a 5 iron and I'm hitting my blades so well right now I don't think there would be much benefit

@JB is there any data on how many combo sets of irons are sold compared to standard sets?

Back