When was your last shank?

Last one was years ago when I pretty much shelved all the Vokeys. I don't need a sweet spot that is heel biased.

I don't like even reading the title. Scary.

I was practicing on a par 3 today, and hit several balls off the tee. This is acceptable behavior for members at my course, as long as it's not busy and nobody is behind you. Things were going well when out of nowhere I hit two shanks in a row. Let me tell you, it scared the 💩 out of me. Back when I was a better player, I was more prone to shanks and I would go through bouts of them from time to time. A lot of bad thoughts came back into my head after hitting a couple today. But, just as quickly as they came they were gone again, hopefully never to be seen again.

I refuse to say

About 6 months ago. Some foot powder spray showed me that I tend to hit the ball on the toe side of my irons. So I tried cheating the ball inside towards the hosel at address. I caught a couple shots pure, but then the shanks snuck in, and they made it 100% not worthwhile.

Last edited:
It happened today on the simulator but luckily it has only showed up on the course during a round once or twice in the last decade. The bladed partial wedge over a green is more my thing.

I had a pretty bad one on Sunday when I was down in AZ. really dumb move on my part, though at least it was on a chip so the end result wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I really hate this thread. Haven't shanked a ball the entire offseason of practice or yet this season. In the short game area with the kids yesterday and got a 15 yard pitch a tad necky. 😳 It was only practice but still jarring since it's something I struggle with in spurts.

Half shanked a SW from a pretty good lie in left rough during my last round. Had an easy 95y to a back left pin but caught part of the hosel and barely rolled it into the front right bunker instead. Worked out great though. Holed the bunker shot for my only bird of the round.
hssandy.PNG

Today on the Goat track at Ballyhack. I blamed it on @Canadan, because he was trash talking me.

Hit one on the range today; I was all set up to hit a GW, all of a sudden I thought about this thread then pulled the trigger. Not pretty.

Back