What's for Dinner?

Turkey burgers tonight.

Leftover take out pizza from lunchIMG_3998.jpeg

Last edited:
Instant Pot baby back ribs (blackened under the broiler) and homemade slaw.

This afternoon I will be indirect cooking a Cajun Spatchcock duck on the grill.

I will update with photos.

This afternoon I will be indirect cooking a Cajun Spatchcock duck on the grill.

I will update with photos.
Lathered it up like a baby with sunscreen 😆
Sour cream and a local spice mix called Cajun ForeplayIMG_6453.jpeg
Then put it on my ceramic stone indirect for 1:45 at 275 F°
Blackened for 6 minutes top and bottom with foil cover over low heat
IMG_6454.jpeg

Running the happy hour menu at “the engine room” in mystic Connecticut.
Also $6 old fashioned IMG_4029.jpeg

Love Mystic!
Of course my daughter loves Watch Hill Beach.
Taylor Swift GIF by The Voice

Finally made it back here, @rlew

IMG_6098.jpeg

Smoked chicken thighs and baked potatoes.

Well, since winter decided it's still a thing, I threw a pot of beefy chili together yesterday. Of course chili is better the next day so it sat overnight and we had it today, Trimmed and cubed up 2lbs of chuck roast plus a lb of angus 90/10. Baked some cornbread today and garnished with green onion, jalapenos, and shredded smoked cheddar.

Well, since winter decided it's still a thing, I threw a pot of beefy chili together yesterday. Of course chili is better the next day so it sat overnight and we had it today, Trimmed and cubed up 2lbs of chuck roast plus a lb of angus 90/10. Baked some cornbread today and garnished with green onion, jalapenos, and shredded smoked cheddar.
I need this recipe, especially the seasonings.

Always better the next day 💯

the brady bunch GIF

Wife did a Chicken Marsala w/ mushrooms, mashed cauliflower, and some sweet peas.

I need this recipe, especially the seasonings.
I make a lot soups year round, especially a lot of chili thru the fall & winter. I usually don't have a chili recipe, more just matching meats and seasonings with cooking styles (searing, grilling, smoking, etc.). Saturday I had a fridge full of meat and was going to vacuum package stuff up for the freezer when I ran out vacuum bags. I decided to use 2 lbs of chuck roast and 1 lb of 90/10 that didn't make the cut for freezing. Here's the recipe as I remember...
Trim and cube the roast into 1" chunks, sear/brown on medium high in a little vegetable oil, remove from pot and set aside. Brown the ground beef, also set aside. Salt & pepper each batch of the meat while cooking in the pot. I deglazed the pot with a little red wine at this point. Its almost more about keeping the pot from developing burnt sides than flavor but it all helps.
I added a tablespoon or so of bacon grease then sauteed 1 1/2 chopped medium-sized yellow onions, 1 chopped yellow bell pepper, 4 diced seeded serrano peppers. When the veggies are done (5-10 minutes depending on heat/preference) Add a couple of small spoonfuls of minced garlic (we keep the jarred stuff on hand, fresh is better but takes time and your hands stink). Turn the heat down and add the meat back in.
Seasonings, I'm not much for measuring. A couple heavy shakes of chipotle chili powder, a couple light shakes of cumin, ground white pepper, and cayenne pepper.
I do measure the regular chili powder and it was 4 full (heaping?) tablespoons. Most people wouldn't use that much but recipes I've followed over the years call for anywhere from 2 to 8 tablespoons, so somewhere in between.
Next add a 15oz can of tomato sauce and a 15oz can of diced tomatoes. I fill each can about halfway with cold water, stir or shake it up and add the water to the pot as well. Bring the heat back up, you'll want a pretty good simmer going on. Again this is more of preference thing, if you like thick or thin chili. I added about another cup and a half of water. While simmering I added a couple of bay leaves and a pinch of cinnamon (you could use All Spice instead) just adds a little complexity to the overall flavor.
I added two cans of chili beans (drained) after 30 minutes or so of simmering. I don't like the beans over cooking to the point they get mushy. I had a can of mild and a can of hot. The beans will thicken the chili quite a bit so turn the heat down but continue a light simmer until the thickness is where you like.
The chili is done at this point, turn the heat off and let it cool. Fish out the bay leaves. Seal with saran wrap or whatever you have and a lid. It was 30 degrees out so set the pot out in our garage and throw a towel over it. Reheat the next day on medium low until it starts to simmer again, turn down/off and serve.

Last edited:
We made meatballs tonight. Wife used the auto turn on and she didn’t think about how long we’d be gone and set it to turn on at 530 at 350 thinking we’d be done with Kinsley’s softball game at 6. We didn’t get home until 7. Let’s just say they were a bit dry.

In honor of the Goat cup lunch menu: a Tex mex “Steinbeck” inspired restaurant

IMG_4046.jpeg

Wife knocked it out again with dinner while I was at the gym. She roasted sweet potato chunks, broccoli, and turkey smoked sausage. Tossed with onion, jalapeno and seasonings. I dashed on some Valentina Extra Hot Salsa Picante. Great dinner and pretty good #'s.

As golfers we all understand the importance of practice rounds. I’m taking it to heart getting ready for the weekend.
IMG_4049.jpeg

Back