What's for Dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime Rib sandwiches.

Whats with the Northern states and the fish fry? I hear about it all the time but have never been to one. Is it a big party or does it just have to do with eating fish on Friday.

It's so funny you say that because every Friday all the restaurants in the new area we moved to has a Fish Fry. It's basically an all you can eat fish and chips for anywhere between $8.99 to $10.99.

We don't know why they do it either but it's very popular here. They didn't have this in Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale.

the other half of my blue room burger from yeterday.

and a heating pad.

What's a blue room burger?

You're eating a heating pad? That might cause heartburn.

Spoiler
I crack me up.

Two words: Lobster, butter.

This thread is making me hungry.

you're causing dinner envy again!

I'm sorry. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Spoiler
Not really. It was really Prime Rib sandwiches. There's enough left for one more sandwichtomorrow for lunch.

Shrimp chowder and homemade whole wheat bread, with fruit salad.

pasta with lotsa garlic bread, capiche?

If JB and I win the lottery and have our own McDonalds you can come and get McRib sandwiches from us any day of the week :D

I was at the drive thru at our local McD and I saw on their menu "The McRib is back" and I almost flipped out. That stupid thing is like a collectors item. All it is is ground pork shaped like a rack of ribs with onions and barbecue sauce and we all go nuts over it. I've already gotten requests from my buddies up north on FB to send some their way.

By the way, I'll hold you guys to that if that does happen. :D

Whats with the Northern states and the fish fry? I hear about it all the time but have never been to one. Is it a big party or does it just have to do with eating fish on Friday.

Goes back to the fish on Fridays deal. The cod at our new club got close but didn't drop into the hole. Batter is too thick and greasy.

From Wiki:

Fish fries are very common in the Midwestern and Northeastern regions of the United States. This is especially true for predominantly Roman Catholic communities on Fridays during Lent, when regulations calling for abstaining from most meat products are in effect. In Wisconsin, a fish fry is offered at almost all non-chain restaurants, taverns that serve food and some chain restaurants on Friday nights throughout the entire year. Going out for a Friday night fish fry is a popular year round tradition in Wisconsin, where it is common among people of any religious background. A typical Wisconsin fish fry consists of fried cod, perch or walleye, french fries, coleslaw and bread.

The Knights of Columbus have long been proponents of holding fish fries on Fridays. Most parish based councils hold fish fries on Fridays during Lent, while other more well-off councils hold such events either monthly or bi-monthly throughout the year. Still others hold the event once or twice a year, according to demand and financial capabilities. Knights of Columbus fish fries are often advertised throughout the local parish or local community as a family event, often resulting in a social environment for parishioners to come together. The modern fish fry tradition is strongest in the state of Wisconsin, where more than 1,000 eateries hold a weekly fish fry on Fridays, and often on Wednesdays. The traditional Wisconsin fish fry is considered incomplete if missing the following ingredients: a choice of either fried or baked cod, bluegill, or perch, German-style potato pancakes, cole slaw, marbled bread, and at least two locally brewed beers. The strength of the tradition in Wisconsin is a fortuitous amalgam of various events and social processes. Wisconsin was settled heavily by German Catholics. The fish fry was also a means by which Wisconsinites successfully evaded many of the unpopular requirements of Prohibition. The tradition is perhaps strongest in southeastern Wisconsin. However, scandinavian settlement of northern and eastern Wisconsin encouraged the preservation and development of the "fish boil", a variant on the fish fry, usually involving potatoes, white fish, kerosene, and a large cauldron.

Kevin

It's so funny you say that because every Friday all the restaurants in the new area we moved to has a Fish Fry. It's basically an all you can eat fish and chips for anywhere between $8.99 to $10.99.

We don't know why they do it either but it's very popular here. They didn't have this in Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale.

I wonder if its because you have more snowbirds in your new area. Either way its a win win situation.

A typical Wisconsin fish fry consists of fried cod, perch or walleye, french fries, coleslaw and bread.

Kevin

Do Wisconsians do malt vinegar? I wish I had a pub with good fish & chips around here, the one place I used to like went down hill.

Do Wisconsians do malt vinegar? I wish I had a pub with good fish & chips around here, the one place I used to like went down hill.

It's not uncommon, but the majority don't. We have an awesome place in a SE Milwaukee suburb that does perfect fish and chips. They're a malt vinegar kind of place. We'd eat there more often, but it means driving Friday rush hour back into the City when, more often than not, I just came from appointments in the City. Great, great fish, though. The best beer batter I've ever had, and consistent as hell. Never a bad piece. The biggest problem with fish fries is most places aren't consistently good. They overload the fryer, or they're too busy and the fish doesn't come out to the table quickly and the batter deteriorates.

Kevin

They overload the fryer, or they're too busy and the fish doesn't come out to the table quickly and the batter deteriorates.

Kevin

I could imagine. If everyone is eating the same thing its better to be there early. I wish they did that here. We do usually go to my favorite fish house on Friday nights though.

Re: What's for Dinner?

my blue room burger was discussed in the bacon thread yesterday.

but I think I forgot to mention pickles. fresh sliced dills....the long way.

Had an Asian style spaghetti, roasted chicken and salad!

Cover your ears, TC!

Lamb roast in the crock pot. I can't smell it throughout the house yet, but it's coming.

Kevin, you left out the part about their being called supper clubs, not restaurants.

We have our 80s party tonight. I couldn't find my flashdance mini skirt after all, so I'm going the Alexis Carrington route instead.

We have our 80s party tonight. I couldn't find my flashdance mini skirt after all, so I'm going the Alexis Carrington route instead.

So you're just dressing as you normally do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back