What are your expectations for a more forgiving iron than your current gamers to hit more greens?

As of today I’d expect it to be a larger club which would drop my GIR. I just struggle all around with a bigger head. Ask me in a couple years when new tech allows club sizes to drop even further into a more compact package and I think it goes up. I think I already play forgiving clubs for the club size I like to see with the Rogue ST Pro irons.

That’s what I’m trying this season. Will going more forgiving though the set help me shoot lower scores? To do that I put a set of cobra forged tec player distance irons in the bag after having had compact blades in the bag for 25 of the last 30 years. Precise iron play is something that I have generally struggled with but had an excellent short game and putter that covered up a lot of mediocre iron shots.

Counter point I couldn’t argue back against was if you retain better speed wouldn’t that show up in results?
Well did you the Indian deliver the right club path and face angle to get the desired flight path and in the right direction or did you use that excess speed to spray it all over?

Think there are far too many variables in play to make that statement (more forgiving irons = more GIR)

Well I tried it and got some 180 yard pitching wedges that just weren’t expected. I have recently changed the mid/long irons from CB to Apex Pro and have picked up a little distance but the low and toe side have benefited

I think it depends on the golfers miss. If you are hitting a ton of shots fat/thin or you have a huge clubface problem then they wouldn't necessarily help, but if you are talking slighter miss hits where you hit more on the heel/toe then I think they could help hit more greens. For me I already play forgiving irons but if I went to a less forgiving set I think it might lead to me missing 1-2 more greens per round where I lose more ball speed on toe/heel shots and come up short.

I play ZX5. I used to play more forgiving and did not hit as many greens. Hit it farther but not as strait or as high so greens were harder to hit. I guess ZX5 would be the more forgiving iron that makes it easier to hit into green.

Last edited:
I think a more finesse-able, workable iron will help me not just hit more greens, but hit it closer to the pin.. That is why I am so interested in looking at clubs like the Wilson Staff Dynapower Forged, Mizuno JPX 923 forged, etc etc. I tried three different GI irons the past two years.. My ball striking just isn't that bad yet, and my decision to go GI was premature. High and straight every shot just isnt my game.

The laws of physics don't change if I'm hitting it out of the rough. Or even worse, out of patches of big weeds where I can't reach the ball first!
I need to be on the short grass to consistently make approach shots.

I don’t think I gained anything on GIR percentage when I moved from muscle back blades to forged cavity backs. Maybe I did on approaches over 190 yards?

I soon will have a set of Dynapower Forged so we’ll see if something more forgiving can help my GIR.

Last edited:
Sure, assuming I can make contact in a similar way between the two. Sole design, mental weirdness, and a ton of other factors can come into play. Club choice on approach shots in general plays a big part.

Should be obvious, but if you have face angle issues, you're going to have problems hitting the green regardless.

I think when you combine good club selection with a forgiving package you are going to see more instances of hitting the front of the green instead of coming up short.

I don't think I'd see much difference. First, I think forgiveness is a bit overrated, and second, regardless of the type of club you play, you still have to put a good swing on it to get good results. I've played both GI's and MB's and the only difference I noted was the GI's go farther, and that's because the lofts are stronger.

I wouldn't really expect to hit more greens with most would call a more forgiving iron.
I fall in line with this feel about it, depending on what your reason is for missing greens. Is it poor contact? Well then you may have a possible solution. Is it directionally challenged? No club is going to fix that for you.

I agree with you, I think it's the Indian. Some others have already said it in here, but for me forgiving irons may help retain ball speed on poorly struck shots, help with turf interaction etc but I don't think it necessarily correlates to more GIR.
I concur here.

I honestly don’t think that I’d hit more greens with more forgiving irons. The benefits of forgiveness do not necessarily result in a GIR for me. I’m still going to miss because of bad swings or poor contact.

I have the LTDx irons and they are pretty darn forgiving, anymore forgiving they would play golf for me. toe hits, heel hits, fat shots all of it. They will send the ball in a direction. If that is what your asking.
I also have the LTDxs and will agree with how forgiving they are.
I have a new Darkspeed 4i on the way and since they are 2 gens newer than my LTDxs I would expect it to be slightly more forgiving, Maybe 5-10% more if I had to put a # on it.

I think getting the right shaft will make a much bigger difference in GIR than clubhead will. In my experience trying to fight and time the wrong shaft leads to a lot of horizontal misses and unpredictable spin. A lot of uncertainty around yardages as well. A bad shot with a blade will just be a slightly less bad shot with a GI iron, maybe you lose 5-6 yards instead of 10 yards. Either way you're not on the green.

Back