What are your expectations for a more forgiving iron than your current gamers to hit more greens?

Scooby45

Use data, get better.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
Thoughts to the question in the title?

I have the LTDx irons and they are pretty darn forgiving, anymore forgiving they would play golf for me. toe hits, heel hits, fat shots all of it. They will send the ball in a direction. If that is what your asking.

I wouldn't really expect to hit more greens with most would call a more forgiving iron.

I think I can hit more greens with a more forgiving iron, but that my proximity isn't ad good. I feel like I can hone in on the pin better with my current gamers, than other more forgiving irons I've played in the past.

But it all hinges on my consistency. If I'm off my game I'd gladly take the help of a more forgiving iron..

I may hit more but I’m not sure if I’d hold more.

I think the theory of "more forgiving" is super overblown these days. And I don't believe folks will benefit hitting more greens just from what is said to be a "more forgiving" club.

I usually hit less with a more forgiving iron. I’ve seen it time and time again.

No expectation, can't be much more forgiving than the shovels I currently play.

Is it the Indian or the arrow @Scooby45 ?
I think it’s the Indian, a few of my friends over the weekend are more in the arrow camp. Thought it would make for some potential interesting conversation.

I would not expect to hit more greens for my game

This is a very hard question to answer. I’m gaming some very forgiving irons. My delivery of the club is much more the reason for my missing greens than the irons.

My shotscope dispersion patterns are scary to look at. I’m spending my coins on lessons and working to improve my skills

I don’t know about forgiving but whatever you hit the most consistently is what helps you hit more GIRs. Get fit. And for me that is tee shots that put me in positions to get GIRs more than the clubs I use after the tee shot. I can hit a green from 120-130 out. From 160 plus things get sketchy.

More forgiving generally means ball speed retention on mishits. So it depends on your miss. I tend to miss left and right so I wouldn’t expect a more forgiving iron to help me hit more greens. If I mostly missed short then I would expect to hit more.

I am playing the Zipcore XL's and I didn't expect to hit more greens when buying them... I expected my bad strikes to still give me some distance I would've lost while playing a players iron (i.e. My 223's) ... And these work fantastically for that purpose.

I'm going to try a more forgiving iron with graphite shaft for slower swing speeds, hope to hit more greens.

In my experience more forgiving irons aren’t really going to improve GIRs. They’ll do other things like retain distance on mishits and perform better on low groove shots, and that will do stuff like help you avoid hazards that are short or in front of greens.

I wouldn’t go to a more forgiving iron to help hit more greens. My misses are the exact same with blades/CB’s/players distance. Your definitely going to get punished less on off-center strikes going to something more forgiving, but that’s not going to fix poor alignment or a swing fault.

I went to the complete opposite direction….back to my 1986 Staffs. Like shooting arrows now. Trust me….I am shocked as well.
IMG_3990.jpeg

The golf industry equipment brands are hurting the game by suggesting that over sized iron heads are 'more forgiving'. The truth is that a large head may be harder to swing-square than a compact head.
I believe what players should swing is the iron head with which they consistently make their best swings-contact, and for many that will be a relatively small head iron.

I think it’s the Indian, a few of my friends over the weekend are more in the arrow camp. Thought it would make for some potential interesting conversation.
I agree with you, I think it's the Indian. Some others have already said it in here, but for me forgiving irons may help retain ball speed on poorly struck shots, help with turf interaction etc but I don't think it necessarily correlates to more GIR.

For a more forgiving iron I want just that, more forgiveness away from center. I don’t necessarily expect to hit more greens but would expect some figurines to help boost that average

I believe if I went to a more forgiving iron, I would hit fewer greens initially. I plan on some slop right now. I factor in my misses. More forgiving irons, bigger heads etc. would initially cause problems. Depending on the day, my long left miss could get much worse though.

The golf industry equipment brands are hurting the game by suggesting that over sized iron heads are 'more forgiving'. The truth is that a large head may be harder to swing-square than a compact head.
I believe what players should swing is the iron head with which they consistently make their best swings-contact, and for many that will be a relatively small head iron.
People who have issues squaring an oversized iron probably have issues squaring a compact iron.

I agree with you, I think it's the Indian. Some others have already said it in here, but for me forgiving irons may help retain ball speed on poorly struck shots, help with turf interaction etc but I don't think it necessarily correlates to more GIR.
Counter point I couldn’t argue back against was if you retain better speed wouldn’t that show up in results?

I'm not sure that more forgiving irons than I'm currently playing even exist. The bigger problem for me is the loose nut attached to the grip end, the clubs would work a lot better if I replaced that.

Back