Weighing the Options - Buying a House

Nice choice mate!

Congrats to you two!!!!!

Congrats guys and Happy for ya :clapp:. Ten minutes from the golf course sounds even better :D

One word: BOOM!!

Spoiler
House.jpg

Pending the final paperwork and all that good stuff, this should be ours just before Easter.

Sweet! It even comes with snow!

Congrats 9-iron, looks like a very nice new house, but I would have tried to get one without snow. Seriously thats great, nothing like owning your first home.

That's a beauty! :alien2::alien2:

Nice choice mate!

Congrats to you two!!!!!

Congrats guys and Happy for ya :clapp:. Ten minutes from the golf course sounds even better :D

Sweet! It even comes with snow!

Congrats 9-iron, looks like a very nice new house, but I would have tried to get one without snow. Seriously thats great, nothing like owning your first home.

Thanks to all!! We are both really excited! Had an inspection last night and everything seems to be just fine. We are one step closer!

*Snow not included* :D

This is so exciting! Congratulations to both of you!! 2011 is one heck of a year for you two, marriage and first home. :smile:

This is so exciting! Congratulations to both of you!! 2011 is one heck of a year for you two, marriage and first home. :smile:

Thanks so much! If only we were smarter and spaced them out a bit more! :act-up:

In all honesty though, we wanted to move before the wedding seeing as by the time we got have home afterwards, summer would be starting up and prices always go up as the temperature goes up, so we wanted to to be moved in fully before May so we could take advantage of lower prices and then still have a couple weeks to finalize the last minute wedding stuff. So far things are looking good! We should have possession on April 21!

Thanks to all!! We are both really excited! Had an inspection last night and everything seems to be just fine. We are one step closer!

*Snow not included* :D

I know you will cause you're a smart cookie but make sure to read all of that inspection report. I've heard nothing but problems from various friends when they just take the inspectors word about things and don't look themselves/read the report. Just because they say something isn't an issue now, doesn't mean it won't be in 3 years.

Sorry, my inner Mike Holmes just had to be let out for a moment.

Echoing GG here, but what an awesome 2011 for you two.

I know you will cause you're a smart cookie but make sure to read all of that inspection report. I've heard nothing but problems from various friends when they just take the inspectors word about things and don't look themselves/read the report. Just because they say something isn't an issue now, doesn't mean it won't be in 3 years.

Sorry, my inner Mike Holmes just had to be let out for a moment.

Echoing GG here, but what an awesome 2011 for you two.

The inspection was actually done by AG's uncle who is a building codes officer. He knows his stuff and we feel very confident in his assessment. I totally hear where you are coming from though and if it was an outside inpsection, we would go through the report with a fine-tooth comb.

Thanks! It's a busy time, but very exciting!!

Congrats!

The real estate agent we used (also a long time family friend) as part of the process recommended a great inspector to us that had a lot of experience with older homes. He came in, got on the roof, checked everything, made a bunch of notes, and then went through the entire house with us and showed us everything he looked at, making sure to highlight any trouble areas.

congrats 9-iron! homeownership is a lot of work, but worth it!

It sure is. At least buying one is so far! :D But it will be totally worth it. Owning is something I've wanted to do for quite a while now, and am super excited to finally get the opportunity.

Congrats!

The real estate agent we used (also a long time family friend) as part of the process recommended a great inspector to us that had a lot of experience with older homes. He came in, got on the roof, checked everything, made a bunch of notes, and then went through the entire house with us and showed us everything he looked at, making sure to highlight any trouble areas.

Thanks! A great inspector is a rarity out there, it's good that you found one!

Small update. All of our applications have come back approved so our conditions are met and now the house will be officially listed as "sold" on Firday. We still have a few meetings with the bank and the lawyer and such, but things are moving along nicely. Possession April 21st!!

Small update. All of our applications have come back approved so our conditions are met and now the house will be officially listed as "sold" on Firday. We still have a few meetings with the bank and the lawyer and such, but things are moving along nicely. Possession April 21st!!
Yowza! Great new you guys! :alien2::alien2:

CONGRATS! I bought my first home last summer and was a very trying experience for me and my then fiance...it closed late because of the bank by about 6 weeks....going through that and planning a wedding was more than I could handle.

However, I hope you enjoy making your house your own!

I know we have! It takes alot of time and money but me and my wife have found that we enjoy working in the yard together and have had alot of fun with adding our own touches to the inside of the house!

I just have one very simple rule for you to go by......TAKE YOUR TIME! You are not going to do yourself any favour by killing yourself trying to make the house perfect right straight away. By pacing yourself you will give yourself more time to have fun and enjoy the house. If you let yourself get stressed out about it then you are just going to make yourself unhappy.

Congrats once again and remember, lowes and homedepot are your friends! I fount that our quickly when it came to simple improvements like shower heads(my house didnt have any), plants, and paint can be had cheaper at local places...but you can find the color you want at big box stores and have it made elsewhere!

Hi Mike,
Congrats on the house. I thought there would be more igloo jokes. Just wondering if it is okay if I can drop off a few sets of my old clubs and wedges for you to store in your sitting room or spare bedroom? I have run out of room at my place. Thanks for helping me out.

Congrats 9I!
What a way to start a new family! Home looks great, and my kids would envy the snow....!

Congrats 9I. Glad to haer it's all going smoothly.

Yowza! Great new you guys! :alien2::alien2:

CONGRATS! I bought my first home last summer and was a very trying experience for me and my then fiance...it closed late because of the bank by about 6 weeks....going through that and planning a wedding was more than I could handle.

However, I hope you enjoy making your house your own!

I know we have! It takes alot of time and money but me and my wife have found that we enjoy working in the yard together and have had alot of fun with adding our own touches to the inside of the house!

I just have one very simple rule for you to go by......TAKE YOUR TIME! You are not going to do yourself any favour by killing yourself trying to make the house perfect right straight away. By pacing yourself you will give yourself more time to have fun and enjoy the house. If you let yourself get stressed out about it then you are just going to make yourself unhappy.

Congrats once again and remember, lowes and homedepot are your friends! I fount that our quickly when it came to simple improvements like shower heads(my house didnt have any), plants, and paint can be had cheaper at local places...but you can find the color you want at big box stores and have it made elsewhere!

Hi Mike,
Congrats on the house. I thought there would be more igloo jokes. Just wondering if it is okay if I can drop off a few sets of my old clubs and wedges for you to store in your sitting room or spare bedroom? I have run out of room at my place. Thanks for helping me out.

Congrats 9I!
What a way to start a new family! Home looks great, and my kids would envy the snow....!

Congrats 9I. Glad to haer it's all going smoothly.

Thanks to all! We are really excited!

TT, that would depend on how nice your sets are and if I can use them! :D

The time is almost here!! Met with the lawyer yesterday morning to sign all of those goodies so we are set and ready for possession on Thursday!

Next few days will be very busy for us, so you won't be seeing too much of me until next week.

Wednesday: I'll be staying home and packing up the last little bits to get ready for the big move on Thursday.

Thursday: The big move!

Friday: Off to the store for some new furnature and then setting everything up. No TV or internet until 4 or so.

Saturday: My bachelor party! I've been told I'm busy from Saturday afternoon until Sunday around lunch.... hmmmm..... :D

Sunday: Trying not to be too hungover for Easter dinner with the family. Should be interesting.

Monday: Finishing up whatever needs to be finished up. Hopefully there's not too much so I can actually have a break and rest for the day. Hopefully I'll get the chance to spend some time with this, which I am picking up tonight.

10166823.jpg

So that's the next few days for me. Busy busy, but will be worth it. I'm really excited to get the house. It's something that I've really wanted for a long time now and am just tinkled pink that I finally do. This was the next step for us and with the wedding just a couple weeks away, we'll be all set. Exciting times!!

Congrats man!
And have fun at your Bachelor Party - but be careful!
My dad has told me stories of guys who were getting married the next day, only to wake up with a chain welded to their leg, sunk into a pail of rapid set concrete, on a random lawn somewhere in the city.

Congrats man!
And have fun at your Bachelor Party - but be careful!
My dad has told me stories of guys who were getting married the next day, only to wake up with a chain welded to their leg, sunk into a pail of rapid set concrete, on a random lawn somewhere in the city.

Thanks man, I'm not too concerned about that. My friends are pretty good. And if they did that... well they wouldn't be my friends any more! :D They all like AG so I don't think they'd do anything stupid.

good to hear!

I hope the move goes smoothly for you and that your house inspection was spot on as it can sometimes be hell to make some repairs.

I am sure many on here are willing to help you out with things that you might need some advice on.

I for one can offer any advice in regards to tv displays, audio systems, and I am fairly good with home networking (I am really a dork in overalls)

After that, I would say I then become very limited to outdoor stuff but I do not know what you can grow in canada well or even if your new place has much of a garden....

today's the day right? Hope everything goes smooth with your closing and moving. Congrats again 9i and AdamsGirl

Back