Under Armour signs Jordan Spieth

ddxu

Reaction score
Handicap
@darrenrovell passed along the news of Under Armour signing Jordan Spieth to a head to toe deal. Also noted that he will be the new face of UA Golf. Wonder what that leaves for Hunter Mahan who was previously their most advertised pro.

Kind of funny that he saved it until today with Nike's big announcement too.

Interesting that Mahan is no longer going to be the face of a clothing brand.

Interesting to drop this on a kid that has zero status on any tour as of now.

Good signing just because the media will definitely be covering him at the start of his career. It will end.up being a not so great signing if he doesn't do anything on tour, he will gradually slip out of the media coverage. I hope to see the kid do well though. I agree it is a lot of pressure on him to be called the face of the golf line now.

I have rooted for Jordan given that he is a local Texan and will be interested to see if this works well for all involved. UA is making quite a commitment to a younger golfer that has not done much as of yet.

Interesting to drop this on a kid that has zero status on any tour as of now.

That's what I was thinking. Plenty of potential, though.

Agreed. This is a ton to hype on a kid that young and unproven.

I love UA, it is all I wear.

What happens when he goes to collage? Are they allowed to have independent sponsors?

So he can't be the low amateur at the US Open this year.

Sounds like a odd dog to hitch your sled to. Hopefully, he fullfils some of that potential. I am curious what is going to happen with Mahan.

Playing devils advocate, this move could also speak volumes on how poorly Hunter, Gary Woodland, etc raised the name of UA golf across the landscape. Maybe they figure, it cant get much worse, why pay more money for low returns, etc.

Wish I could actually say this to UA right now:
3sk7at.jpg

This is awesome. Good for Jordan. Great kid and family

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Wish I could actually say this to UA right now:
3sk7at.jpg

I gotta disagree with you on this one JT. Obviously, the ROI wasnt there from their previous staff so UA had to do something. Remember, this is a business first, popularity contest second.

I gotta disagree with you on this one JT. Obviously, the ROI wasnt there from their previous staff so UA had to do something. Remember, this is a business first, popularity contest second.

It's actually more to do with putting him at Top Dog now when you have HM and Gary already at your stable. Just strange.

I think it's a good signing, but to ignore Mahan and Woodland seems a bit odd.

I don't get this signing, at all, for any of the parties involved.

It's actually more to do with putting him at Top Dog now when you have HM and Gary already at your stable. Just strange.

I think it's a good signing, but to ignore Mahan and Woodland seems a bit odd.

But what has he done for them (rhetorical)? Obviously not what they hoped, so they are switching gears. Yes they are more popular and have more experienced pro resumes, but who is really buying clothes based on Hunter or Woodland? I think I have 1 UA golf shirt I received as a gift. Maybe they are hoping to target the college aged kids, got a deal they couldnt pass up, or are just trying to buy low early and hope he hits it big.

As far as Jordan goes, why would he pass this up? I'm sure the initial signing bonus will help him pay for the qualifiers and getting a tour card somewhere and like the feedback here shows, there probably wasnt many suitors stepping up to him.

Wasnt RF pretty unknown when Cobra went all in on him too? I dont see the downside on either side here.

But what has he done for them (rhetorical)? Obviously not what they hoped, so they are switching gears. Yes they are more popular and have more experienced pro resumes, but who is really buying clothes based on Hunter or Woodland? I think I have 1 UA golf shirt I received as a gift. Maybe they are hoping to target the college aged kids, got a deal they couldnt pass up, or are just trying to buy low early and hope he hits it big.

As far as Jordan goes, why would he pass this up? I'm sure the initial signing bonus will help him pay for the qualifiers and getting a tour card somewhere and like the feedback here shows, there probably wasnt many suitors stepping up to him.

Wasnt RF pretty unknown when Cobra went all in on him too? I dont see the downside on either side here.

The Rickie Fowler comparison is a stretch based on visibility when they both came out. Jordan has no status.

I dont think anybody is saying "dont sign Jordan". Its that you already have guys in the stable with a proven track record and are clearly marketable (even if slightly) (think Ping and Hunter). Why make a guy with no status (meaning less visibility) the head guy (as apparently they have said) or if that is the plan, why say anything at all and make it public that these two have not done enough (as you are saying) so we are going with a guy that has no status instead.

Fowler had locked up his Tour Card at Q-School when PUMA signed him. He had also just lost in a Playoff at the Fry's in his first PGA Tour start as a Pro (Fairly Sure on that one).

Kind of shocked that he is replacing Mahan at the top of the totem pole. Is Mahan moving on to a different brand?

Here is the press release from PR Web

Baltimore, MD (PRWEB) January 14, 2013

Under Armour (NYSE:UA), the Baltimore, MD-based leader in sports performance apparel, footwear and accessories announced today that recently turned professional golfer, Jordan Spieth, will join the Brand’s roster of elite athletes.

The 2011-2012 Big 12 Player of the Year and first-team All-American will be included in a national advertising and in-store campaign starting in 2013. Under Armour continues to support the next generation of athletes and will design a head-to-toe look for Spieth.

“Jordan is a talented young athlete whose promising career is just getting started,” said Matt Mirchin, Senior Vice President, Global Brand and Sports Marketing, Under Armour. “We're proud to add Jordan to our strong team of athletes as we continue to grow our brand globally and expand in the sport of golf.”

Spieth led the University of Texas Longhorns to a 2012 NCAA Championship and also earned himself low amateur honors at last year’s US Open at The Olympic Club. In total, he has made the cut in 6 of the 8 professional events he’s played as an amateur, including putting himself in contention to win the 2010 HP Byron Nelson Championship while only 16 years old. Spieth is one of two players to win multiple US Junior Amateur titles (2009 and 2011) and was selected to the 2011 Walker Cup team where he earned an undefeated record. Spieth, who turned professional last month, will play this season via sponsor exemptions and qualifiers on the PGA Tour and Web.com Tour. Spieth has already received invitations to play the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, the Puerto Rico Open and the Panama Claro Championship.

“Throughout my athletic career I’ve worn Under Armour products and have always been impressed with how well their technology performs both on and off the course,” Spieth said. “It’s an honor to represent the Under Armour brand and join their roster of world-class athletes.”

About Under Armour, Inc.
Under Armour® (NYSE: UA) is a leading developer, marketer, and distributor of branded performance apparel, footwear, and accessories. The Company's products are sold worldwide and worn by athletes at all levels, from youth to professional, on playing fields around the globe. The Under Armour global headquarters is in Baltimore, Maryland, with European headquarters in Amsterdam’s Olympic Stadium, and additional offices in Denver, Hong Kong, Toronto, and Guangzhou, China. For further information, please visit the Company's website at http://www.ua.com.

I just don't see Speith moving product that Mahan isn't. I mean, it's not like Mahan is an old goat with no marketability. His flat brims appeal to that younger generation (and us 31 year olds). And Mahan contends, so it's not like he isn't visible. Future wise, it's a good signing for UA, if Speith pans outs. But to say he is your guy, right here and now, especially being so unproven, makes zero sense to me.

Back