UGA Fan Responds to UGA Players being Stupid

I am not a parent, but I have cared for many a child over the years - siblings, babysitting, live-in nanny, then just helping out friends by sitting with young ones so they could have "a date night" when they couldn't necessarily afford a sitter.

The thing I noticed was the change in how kids are raised... And how involved the public felt they had a right to tell you how to raise a kid. First it was no more paddling or standing in corners (or any type "punishment") in schools. Then you couldn't spank your child, especially not in public. I'm not talking beating a kid... I'm talking about the one or two swats on a backside. Do that in public and you get a visit from child services.

Then it was reason with them from birth, tell them they were winners no matter what, give everyone a trophy and schedule every minute of every day with some "activity" so they will have lots on their school transcripts when they finally go to college.

It's scary the generation we, the boomers and after are creating. I know I didn't express this right... I hope it makes some sense...

Outstanding response by Bobby, but as someone stated earlier, the kid probably won't understand it. My neighbor is a high school football and I chuckle every time he talks of a kid that's academically ineligible. I didn't have to worry about the "F list" while in high school 30 years back. My father (school board member as long as I could remember) had much tougher standards... bring home anything lower than a "B" and you're done for the season. Athletics were secondary to my education. I vividly remember my parents refusing to let me travel to an away game in basketball, on a Tuesday night, because they felt it was too far away and I would not be well-rested for classes in the morning. KCM

Hmmmmmmmmm. Here is CW's response on The Facebook

“To: The Dawg Nation
I have gotten word that my post on Facebook has gotten a lot of buzz over the past week or so and there are a few things that I would like to say: Although everyone is entitled to their own opinions (even all the people who had negative things to say), I am at fault because no matter how I felt I should never have let those feeling get control of my better judgment. I should have kept it to myself and let the entire situation die down. My biggest regret about the whole thing is that it has caused so much disruption amongst the team. I forgot for a minute that I am here to get an education and play football and that pretty much is the extent of my responsibilities. I am not here to complain about the fanatics and for that I do apologize. I am a leader and I care about the guys that I lead. Believe me, I do know and understand that my teammate made a very bad decision and had to face the consequences, but I'd rather support him than be negative toward him. I'd rather help him succeed because I saw all the work that he had put in since spring and I was looking forward to seeing him play! The bottom line is that he has moved on and I’m happy he has found a place to continue his career, but the best thing for UGA football is to let this go and move forward positively. I would like to ask all the fans and supporters out there to help us with this by letting it go also. We have to continue to work hard and do our very best to get to Miami like we planned and I want all of you along for the ride.
#beblesseddawgnation”

I thought this to be a very mature and well thought out response. As has been mentioned in this thread and countless others, these guys are still wet behind the ears and are maturing into adults in a spotlight most of us never have nor ever will experience.

Thanks for posting that, i had not had a chance to get on the Vent in a few day.

I keep forgetting that these guys are just big children. Good post DD. I like how his response was not a Tigeresq response. It sounded like it came from the right place.

These guys always just want to "put it past them, move on and let it go". They never want to pay the penalty for their ignorant ways.
I for one am sick of it.

Back