Trying to Break 80 Club

Friday: 92 (44/48) @ National Golf Links
Playing this course was incredibly fun, but very, very humbling.

The NGLA? I'm so jealous! As a huge fan of classic design architecture the NGLA is like Mecca. I'd sell a kidney for a chance to play it. :)

Tapped from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NGLA? I'm so jealous! As a huge fan of classic design architecture the NGLA is like Mecca. I'd sell a kidney for a chance to play it. :)

You and me both.

OK, now that I've shot a few rounds in the mid 80's in a row, I've got my sights set on breaking 80. With the PGA Tour Academy lessons and the way I've been striking the ball lately, I think it's completely possible if I tighten up a few things. I finally have the distance with my irons to make shooting good scores realistic.

I need to get better at reading greens and putting. While my putting has vastly improved over the past month, I still don't really read the greens that well. I burn so many edges, it's not even funny. I'm averaging 34 putts per round. If I averaged 30, I'd break 80.

I need to increase my number of fairways hit. I'm not great with the driver, but hit 5 Wood pretty well, which has gotten me into the mid 80's. If I could get the distance from the driver and still keep the ball on the short grass with the same numbers I've gotten with the 5 Wood (9 of 14), I could be hitting shorter irons into the greens and therefor should technically have more GIRs.

I need to hit more GIR's. I've been averaging 5 per round, which puts a lot of pressure on my chipping. Most of my misses are now in range and not directional anymore, so learning my distances and working on more consistent approach shots would help immensely

The lessons are making a huge difference in my game so far, so I'm hopeful that by the time I finish the 6 remaining lessons and associated practice sessions, I will be well on my way to breaking 80.

Awesome that you're staying consistently in the mid 80's. Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need/want to do to get to the 70's. Good luck! I'm sure we'll be seeing you post up that 70's round soon.

You and me both.

It was truly an amazing experience on so many levels. I started playing golf about 5-6 years ago and fell in love with all facets of the game including architecture. To be able to have played this course was mind blowing. Then on top of it to have the US Walker Cup team practicing in front of my foursome was very special. Oh and the lunch! Oh man that lunch...

I probably will never have a chance to go back, but I'm very happy to have gotten one shot to see and play the course. I recommend anyone around the NYC area to at least go watch the Walker Cup to get a taste of the terrific course.

I thought I would pop in and leave a comment despite having been round several courses in the 70's. The reason, is because I am yet to break 80 on my home course during competitions which are off the back/white tee's. I have now gone round the course on 5 occasions this year in 80 strokes, the other rounds tend to be low or mid 80's but the magic 79 or better is becoming a bit of a psychological barrier for me.
I've got about another month to do it this year, if not there is always next golf season

While I didn't break 80 today or even come close, I did manage an 88 with one of the worst ball striking rounds I've had in recent memory. What saved me is what I've been working on hard lately, my short game.

While I ended up with an 88, I only had 29 putts.... a new record for me. I only had 1 GIR all day because of the bad ball striking, but I was putting my chips close. Now if I can get the short game to work at the same time as the ball striking, it's on!!!!

Well I broke 80 today for the first time coming in at a 77. However the course was a local municipal that is only a par 69 and 5391 yards and 65.4/114. I still felt good however because I have had a mental block on this course and never shot under 90 for some reason. Even with it being short there some tricky holes and tight fairways. Only got in trouble once but was able to punch a 5i out and mad a bogey. The course only has three par 5's with two of them playing at 476 and 419. On the 419 you can only hit the tee shot about 150 out then another 150 to the second bend so even though it is short it plays hard because of all the bends.

Well I broke 80 today for the first time coming in at a 77. However the course was a local municipal that is only a par 69 and 5391 yards and 65.4/114. I still felt good however because I have had a mental block on this course and never shot under 90 for some reason. Even with it being short there some tricky holes and tight fairways. Only got in trouble once but was able to punch a 5i out and mad a bogey. The course only has three par 5's with two of them playing at 476 and 419. On the 419 you can only hit the tee shot about 150 out then another 150 to the second bend so even though it is short it plays hard because of all the bends.

Congrats.......

I've shot 85 twice this week with very poor ball striking. My chipping and putting were excellent though, which kept me in the round. I'm at the point in my lessons where we are starting on the pivot and getting ready to do full swings. I've dropped from a 94 average to 86 average in 3 weeks just working on the short game lessons. I can't wait to see what's going to happen once I tighten up my ball striking.

Congrats.......

I've shot 85 twice this week with very poor ball striking. My chipping and putting were excellent though, which kept me in the round. I'm at the point in my lessons where we are starting on the pivot and getting ready to do full swings. I've dropped from a 94 average to 86 average in 3 weeks just working on the short game lessons. I can't wait to see what's going to happen once I tighten up my ball striking.

Sounds good keep up the good work

Congrats, Lynchburg!

Nice Lynchburg!
That's a fast improvement Bullitt, keep it up.

Congrats! I love seeing so many breaking through!

Since a broke through I have not played well. My mental game is for crap. Hoping to get back on track this weekend.

Since a broke through I have not played well. My mental game is for crap. Hoping to get back on track this weekend.
I'm right there with you man. I went 78, 76, then 90, 90. Let's go get it this weekend!

I shot a 3 over 75 today. Putted awesome. Like 28 putts or something like that. But I really attribute everything I did today to the club that actually fit me. My old clubs were supposed to be 1 inch tall. Turned out they were 3. I fixed that and im really chasing par now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

I shot a 3 over 75 today. Putted awesome. Like 28 putts or something like that. But I really attribute everything I did today to the club that actually fit me. My old clubs were supposed to be 1 inch tall. Turned out they were 3. I fixed that and im really chasing par now.

That is incredible. Great job!

I had it today and let it go. Grand Cypress New Course, +1 after 10 and wound up with an 82. 37-45=82. Started hitting a lot of fat shots on the back and made three doubles and had a couple of three putts on those giant double greens. The front was my best nine in quite some time. Five GiR, only two "missed" fairways (though they were still in fairway grass).

90 today. I actually felt like I played pretty decent but did just enough not to score.

Last edited:
37 – 38 for a 75 at Golf Club of Illinois, first time under 80 this year I feel like I've been close the last few rounds and finally played consistent golf. Made the puts I needed to...no body at my house will understand!

37/41 for a 78. Little disappointed with the finish but today was my 5th or 6th round in the 70s this year which is 5 or 6 more than last year :)

Nice rounds LordByron and PhillyV!

I shot an 87 yesterday, with, get this, 42 putts! I was hitting the ball pretty well. HATE the greens where I played. Every single green has large slopes, and nearly every hole is on a slope. If you miss, you're going far past. Still no excuse for 42 effing putts. Already have in over an hour of putting practice today on the carpet.

I'm right there with you man. I went 78, 76, then 90, 90. Let's go get it this weekend!

You guys will get back there. Its the dreaded curse of high expectations. Good luck!

37 – 38 for a 75 at Golf Club of Illinois, first time under 80 this year I feel like I've been close the last few rounds and finally played consistent golf. Made the puts I needed to...no body at my house will understand!

37/41 for a 78. Little disappointed with the finish but today was my 5th or 6th round in the 70s this year which is 5 or 6 more than last year :)

Great rounds guys! Keep it going and nip even par in the bud!

Nice rounds LordByron and PhillyV!

I shot an 87 yesterday, with, get this, 42 putts! I was hitting the ball pretty well. HATE the greens where I played. Every single green has large slopes, and nearly every hole is on a slope. If you miss, you're going far past. Still no excuse for 42 effing putts. Already have in over an hour of putting practice today on the carpet.

Where were you yesterday?

Back