Trying to Break 80 Club

A 79 from the blues at my course is a 10.7 differential. 81 is a 12.6 and 83 is 14.4. To get to a 10 I am going to need to have a lot more rounds sub 80.

Not the hardest course in the area as the slope from the blues is 119. But I can't beat the price, which is free.

That makes sense.

Nice Smalls!

Ya know....I've been fairly lucky in being able to break 80 this year. A year ago, I wasn't there.....but I had a short lesson from a friend that is always around par and his words of wisdom were enlightening. He told me to first remember that most people get in trouble trying to hit the ball far. You have to forget about hitting it long and focus on hitting to a spot(certain distance) where you can hit the green on your next shot....or next one after that on a part five. This will also shorten the miss zone as you're focusing on a spot in the fairway. If you're focused on shortening the distance to the flag, you'll expand that right to left miss zone exponentially. It made so much sense because I would have 375 yard holes and try to hit driver when all I really needed was a hybrid (215yds) or 4 (195yds) iron, which I mishit much less. He said he has never hit the ball long, but he's always been straight and every time he was up against the 300 yd hitters, he'd win by a bunch. He also told me that making a birdie is a mistake, a bonus. I should really be focused on hitting the middle of the green. If I hit it close or make a long putt for birdie, that's great, but getting on every green in regulation is going to be where you really make the strokes melt away. I have a card in my bag that has 3 notes on it. 1. Hit it to a specific distance/spot 2. Hit the middle of the green 3. Always focus on the next shot, not the last one.

It's been great help for me. I'm very grateful to say the least.

Hit em straight.

Wise chunk of advice :)

Once again, so close yet so far. Shot 38/43=81. Was rolling right along with solid drives and back to back birdies to wrap the first nine. The next was a struggle, lots of errant drives and some truly great scrambling to steal pars. Considering my driving issues of late, it was an encouraging round.

Once again, so close yet so far. Shot 38/43=81. Was rolling right along with solid drives and back to back birdies to wrap the first nine. The next was a struggle, lots of errant drives and some truly great scrambling to steal pars. Considering my driving issues of late, it was an encouraging round.

Sounds like you're right there! Especially if you had some struggles and still almost hit 70s.

Sounds like you're right there! Especially if you had some struggles and still almost hit 70s.

Definitely right there, and have been all year. I think I've finally got to the point where I'm tapped out. I feel that a few lessons are going to be needed to get me over the hump. The joy is in the journey!

Shot a 78 today, and went out and shot 3-over on another 9. So 9-over after 27. Not too shabby.

Played well but a bad blowup hole (Ocho Stinko on a par 4) kept me from the beloved 70's. Finished with 83.

Played well but a bad blowup hole (Ocho Stinko on a par 4) kept me from the beloved 70's. Finished with 83.

Ocho Stinko! I've never heard that before! Gotta throw that in my vocab! thanks for the laugh :)

I have taken the decision to shift my focus to the Breaking 80 thread given that I am now consistently scoring in the mid-high 80's.

Good round for me today shooting one of my best rounds for the last two or three years today. 40/44 - playing off 18.9 handicap.

I made the turn just 3 over par gross which is something I am particularly pleased with, and had it not been for raining coming in for the last 3 or 4 holes I fear I could have made it in to the high 70's today. Still really chuffed with todays round, feel like I've struck a real balance with just about every club in my bag at the moment.

I have taken the decision to shift my focus to the Breaking 80 thread given that I am now consistently scoring in the mid-high 80's.

Good round for me today shooting one of my best rounds for the last two or three years today. 40/44 - playing off 18.9 handicap.

I made the turn just 3 over par gross which is something I am particularly pleased with, and had it not been for raining coming in for the last 3 or 4 holes I fear I could have made it in to the high 70's today. Still really chuffed with todays round, feel like I've struck a real balance with just about every club in my bag at the moment.

Welcome to this thread! Good for you, keep up the good work!

I'm in the same boat. Went from mid 90s to mostly mid to high 80s lately. If I keep this up ill have to get more active in this thread!

Shot a 76 today. 4-over on the front, even on the back. I'm not really in the "Trying to break 80" anymore, but I am in the "Trying to consistently break 80 Club". So, I guess that's why I'm still posting here.

Shot a 76 today. 4-over on the front, even on the back. I'm not really in the "Trying to break 80" anymore, but I am in the "Trying to consistently break 80 Club". So, I guess that's why I'm still posting here.

nice round man. I'm with you in the trying to stay consistent club. Keep it up!

4 over through 10. Wouldn't be the first time ever but first time this year.

4 over through 10. Wouldn't be the first time ever but first time this year.
Well, a triple on 16 did me in. Then a lack of concentration quadruple on 18 kept it from being a near miss. Ended at 86. Played 15 of the 18 holes well but had three bad holes, accounting for 9 shots over par.

Incredible terribleness today; 90. Got some work to put in this week!

Shot a 42/38/80 with a putt on 18 coming 6 inches short. One other hole I missed a chance to break 80 was #7, a 230 yrd. layup and a 237 yrd 3 wood, Chip to six ft and then 3 putted. ARRRGGG. Then on 13 chipped in for par. Told the Pro it was my birthday and he gave me a Dozen of the new ZStar XV's:banana:

I had a rough round today where I shot around 90. The good news is regained confidence in much old fade. I hit a 3w with a carey of 250 plus offer a bunker to the back ledge. Ive forgotten how powerful that old swing was. With the added control of a better swing plane.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Utter failure today. Didn't even break 90.

Utter failure today. Didn't even break 90.

One of those days Smalls. You should come down and play Quail Ridge with us this coming Saturday!

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rough weekend for me as well. Driving the ball better than ever, hitting the irons crisp and clean, even the wedge finally came around and found a groove, but the putter cost me a good 6 strokes yesterday. Si bad it was embarrassing, but I know it's just a stage that will come back around soon.

Friday: 92 (44/48) @ National Golf Links
Playing this course was incredibly fun, but very, very humbling. Pin placements were set up in a dastardly fashion, either on top of a knoll in the green or right near the edge of the green promoting roll into a neighboring bunker. The U.S. Walker Cup team was walking two groups in front of us playing alternate shot between themselves, so pace was terrible but it was so special it was easily forgotten. This round really proved to me how much I need to improve my wedges and putting. Could have been better off the tee, but no lost balls tells me it was good enough.

Saturday: Practiced and played 7 holes at my home course (Rockrimmon). Scrambled all day due to bad driving. Wedge game and putting were all strong though. Didn't track score since I knew I wouldn't be playing at least 9.

Sunday: 88 (42/46) @ Rockrimmon
3 2-chips and one wayward drive were really the only bad parts of the round. Score doesn't show it but I had a really strong round for the majority of the day. Again, wedge game was the culprit today. I would maybe add a couple bad club selections led to rough putts.

After my 80 and 82 round in early August, I was really feeling like I could break the mark. However, I seem to have a lot of work left to do.

Back