The THP Range/Practice Thread

Lots of driver work this week with my Skillest coach. Liking the changes, but think my head/shaft won't work optimally now. Luckily I have a fitting on Friday. Will keep working on the swing, focus on path and impact. Spin currently at least 500 rpm too low. I turned my 8* head with slider set to draw into a 10* head with slider in the middle and that helps the launch but not the spin. No weights I can swap around on the Stealth2+. Good excuse for a new driver, right? I was getting a lot of good contact and down the middle last night, which is never a bad thing.

230 balls today. Warmed up with my Impact Snap and took a few partial wedge swings. It felt pretty good. Weird, but good. Sprayed my 6i with foot spray and checked out my impact location. It wasn’t terrible. Didn’t same with 9i with a tighter pattern.

Worked in my driver to find my setup. 9*, S/D, APW full draw is what I settled on. Foot spray pattern looked really good. Tight enough to make me ask why I didn’t go Triple Diamond. High ball flight, but it looked like it was traveling well.

Finished off with Impact Snap drills, 3/4 iron swings, and full iron swings. Stopping with my arms extended made me slow down a ton. That slowed down feeling coupled with hands forward created some crispy contact. So I tried getting more. It didn’t work. I ended just trying to groove that slow feel. I should have used more foot spray because so many of my closing shots felt pure.

Who's up for the range tomorrow
Excited Rap Game GIF by TrueReal

It is odd how a swing thought can work well for a couple rounds and then not work at all in another. My irons are still good but driver is still inconsistent. I have found a fairway finder with driver now where I power down and it is a much straighter flight

It is odd how a swing thought can work well for a couple rounds and then not work at all in another. My irons are still good but driver is still inconsistent. I have found a fairway finder with driver now where I power down and it is a much straighter flight
Golf is a stupid game. :ROFLMAO:

How many things are too many to work on at one time? I’ve got 4, 5 with driver.

Depth in my backswing. My hands are inside of my trail shoulder and my instructor wants me to get them outside of my torso.

Elbow leading the downswing. My feeling to help with hands forward contact and to stop casting.

Pivot around the front heel in the downswing. Weight transfer feel in my words. I come from a baseball background and was always taught to drive into a firm front leg.

Stay low and extend low after contact. Help with hands forward contact and more penetrating flight.

Head behind the ball with driver. I forget why, but I know it’s a proper swing thing. I think it was to promote an inside out swing and get me to start my draw more right.

Not much to work on, just my entire swing. I feel like it’s doable but it’ll take longer to ingrain if I do it all at once. I’m thinking of just focusing on depth and weight transfer at the range and working on my hands forward contact keys at home. The driver work will be my one allowed swing thought on the tee while playing. Does breaking it up sound workable or am I setting myself up for failure?

How many things are too many to work on at one time? I’ve got 4, 5 with driver.

Depth in my backswing. My hands are inside of my trail shoulder and my instructor wants me to get them outside of my torso.

Elbow leading the downswing. My feeling to help with hands forward contact and to stop casting.

Pivot around the front heel in the downswing. Weight transfer feel in my words. I come from a baseball background and was always taught to drive into a firm front leg.

Stay low and extend low after contact. Help with hands forward contact and more penetrating flight.

Head behind the ball with driver. I forget why, but I know it’s a proper swing thing. I think it was to promote an inside out swing and get me to start my draw more right.

Not much to work on, just my entire swing. I feel like it’s doable but it’ll take longer to ingrain if I do it all at once. I’m thinking of just focusing on depth and weight transfer at the range and working on my hands forward contact keys at home. The driver work will be my one allowed swing thought on the tee while playing. Does breaking it up sound workable or am I setting myself up for failure?

Do this, take your timer out on your phone, start it, and see how many coherent thoughts you can have in 2.3 seconds. Probably one full one, maybe two really quick ones, right? That should give you a gauge on how many things you can think about and try to work on at once.

Do this, take your timer out on your phone, start it, and see how many coherent thoughts you can have in 2.3 seconds. Probably one full one, maybe two really quick ones, right? That should give you a gauge on how many things you can think about and try to work on at once.
Do you think a checkpoint after the swing for weight transfer would be too much if I’m focusing on depth first? I’m planning on going into maintenance mode come posting season. If that means I get one thing down pat then that’s what it is. This is the first year I’m trying intentional practice for improvement instead of putting band aids on whatever pops up so it’s all kinda new to me.

Do you think a checkpoint after the swing for weight transfer would be too much if I’m focusing on depth first? I’m planning on going into maintenance mode come posting season. If that means I get one thing down pat then that’s what it is. This is the first year I’m trying intentional practice for improvement instead of putting band aids on whatever pops up so it’s all kinda new to me.
I'll just say that for me when I've tried to think about too much and work on too many things at once it's been a disaster. Taking one and only one swing thought to the course with me is as much as I can handle. That said, I wouldn't consider taking stock of where your weight distribution is at post-swing to be a swing thought.

I’m, for the first time ever, actually going to practice this year. At least 18 minutes a day committed to wedge work, at least another 18 to irons, then 3 putting sessions per week as well as long club work. All this along with my typical amount of play.

I plan on being a menace on the course by seasons end.

Tried to go just now and work on the shortgame at my local course. Had to leave after driving around the parking lot for 10-15 mins and I couldn’t find a parking spot. Crazy that I have one public course within 15 mins of my house and the parking lot is so tiny that twice now I have just had to leave and head home.

Yesterday I hit 70 chip shots to three different pins. Did "just" ok since I wasn't using my normal chipping club.

Focus was on landing the ball on the green, and on my chosen line. This, after reading the green.

Also worked on stance, alignment, and posture.

This morning, in a light mist, I hit 42, easy swing, 52*, and 56* degree pitch shots to a pin, up to 70 yards away. I put some markers at 30, 50 yards as intermediate targets. By varying my swing lengths, but keeping the same swing tempo, I was dropping balls on, near my three markers. Figured this is something I could use when playing.

If the weather gets better, I might do some putting later on.

I don’t get to the range during the winter, but when DST is back I’ll start going after work.

This season I am hoping to finally start speed training. I have had the sticks for about 2 years and have not used them more than a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ******* hate the golf swing.

Every year at this time, things go to hell. One day, money, then BOOM, it’s like my body forgot how to do anything.

I’ll be fine, but good lord.

Every year at this time, things go to hell. One day, money, then BOOM, it’s like my body forgot how to do anything.

It's a stupid game.

Season 6 Starz GIF by Outlander

Facts!

I’m onto bucket 11 of 56 to better golf. It’s been a fun journey.

Hit a small bucket this evening and still work to be done. I'm not always striking it well but the direction is quite straight

Wedge Matrix work on the Skytrak+ for the first time today. Not as atrocious as I expected, but a clear revelation that 1) I was swinging hesitant with the GW/PW past the pitch and 2) I clearly don't practice these shots enough.

Screenshot (192).png
Screenshot (194).png

Four days of practice in a row this week, about half an hour on wedges, 15 minutes or so on irons or woods, and then a sim round each day. I'm trying to recover my feels right now and use this week to feel out what my full practice plan will be going forward. 2024 going to be different.

Wedge Matrix work on the Skytrak+ for the first time today. Not as atrocious as I expected, but a clear revelation that 1) I was swinging hesitant with the GW/PW past the pitch and 2) I clearly don't practice these shots enough.

View attachment 9241400
View attachment 9241401

Four days of practice in a row this week, about half an hour on wedges, 15 minutes or so on irons or woods, and then a sim round each day. I'm trying to recover my feels right now and use this week to feel out what my full practice plan will be going forward. 2024 going to be different.
That wedge matrix functionality is really cool. That's an area of my game I'm working to dial in and that would be a helpful tool for that!

Just had, potentially, the most productive range session I’ve ever had. I have been working on several major swing changes since late last year. At best, it’s been a miserable rollercoaster ride just trying to learn some new “feels” and find some semblance of consistency. Prepping for the Morgan Cup has me practicing more (and more intentionally)than ever before. Two feels clicked tonight and I saw better compression, better distance and tighter dispersion. Consistently better ball striking. Now, I hope it translates to the course tomorrow.

Back