The THP Range/Practice Thread

Too cold to be outside for me yesterday with the wind chill. Just watched some golf reruns, and went over my notes on what causes my bad shots.

Took a drive by both local golf courses, and saw empty parking lots.

Might go hit a few later today since tbe wind has died down. If not I will read a few pages of "Swing The Club Head" by Earnest Jones.

Right now , Im watching the 2020 Waste Management Phoenix Open. Just watching their golf swings.

Swung a little before the rain with the RypSticks. Putting practice indoors now that the wind and rain have arrived.

Finally got a break from the arctic blast and spent lunch at the range. First time hitting golf balls since the beginning of November, so definitely rusty. Focused on tempo, weight shift to the front, clearing my hips, and not releasing the club to early. I made some good swings and made a few that I hesitate to even label as swings. I hit about 50% of the (large) bucket with irons and then the other half with driver, as I wanted to prepare for my Darkspeed "fitting" coming up this weekend. I felt comfortable with my irons and was striking the ball well, but sprayed my driver a bit. I think the best news of the session was that I didn't hit a single thin or chunk shot, so pleased with contact.

A second visit to the range after work saw much better results. Was able to swing easy, see increased clubhead speed, and stay better connected throughout the swing.

Did some overspeed training on the sim tonight after work. Hit 160 ball speed. Consider that a win and plan to keep pushing. Hoping to hit 175 by March 1st.

Did some overspeed training on the sim tonight after work. Hit 160 ball speed. Consider that a win and plan to keep pushing. Hoping to hit 175 by March 1st.
Another session this morning and hit 161 twice. Overall I was a bit slower but I chalk that up to being a session less 15 minutes after waking up.

Went to the range yesterday and hit close to 200 balls pain free. First time I’ve hit more than 1-5 in months.

That's huge!!!
I’m so excited for this season to start. Plan on 2-3 days a week at the bays when available to get the swing into shape.

I’m so excited for this season to start. Plan on 2-3 days a week at the bays when available to get the swing into shape.
Where are you hitting? Did you get some kind of membership or just pay to hit?

Where are you hitting? Did you get some kind of membership or just pay to hit?
Just the heated bays there’s one right off 75/123, and I’ll go to MoG if someone’s there and wants to hit. Looking at grooving a swing more than #’s. Focusing on weight transfer, and shortening the backswing.

Just the heated bays there’s one right off 75/123, and I’ll go to MoG if someone’s there and wants to hit. Looking at grooving a swing more than #’s. Focusing on weight transfer, and shortening the backswing.
Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

driving let's go GIF by 1331Creative's go GIF by 1331Creative

Monday night looks decent as well as Thursday.
this has legs. Not even shark legs.

Is it alright if I pick up a hitchhiker on the way over? @Scooby45 is usually standing by the road with his bag hoping for fun.

I'd invite @Kmench but he has been dodging me SO hard.

Is it alright if I pick up a hitchhiker on the way over? @Scooby45 is usually standing by the road with his bag hoping for fun.

Sounds good @Scooby45 and I hit MoG yesterday.

Had one of my most productive range sessions. Was striking my irons really consistently and my driver came alive. Hoping the work I've been putting in leads to better scoring on course

Swing is coming along well considering how long of a layoff I had I had become worried. Biggest hiccup is getting rid of my chicken wing follow through that feels like if I held my finish I could choke myself out. Hit the range tonight and have an idea of what I need to accomplish but it’s just engraining it. May need a lesson to verify before I start off down a path to far.

Messed around with that belly putter I acquired. From 15-20 feet, I had 3 hole outs, 67% two putts. A lot of my 1st putts were on line, but short.

After that it was full swing SW, and PW. 28 each. Not a good effort on my part todays. Too many fatties. Just tired I guess.

From there I went with the 4 uneven lies to pin 30 yards away.

Had a little issue with a guy's errant ball flights. He was hitting 140 yard shots to a pin about 50 yards away from me. A few of his slices would roll by me. When he was picking up his golf balls, I mentioned to him some of his balls were over by me. He informed me they were not his. That he wasn't that bad of a ball striker. Got a chuckle out of his attitude.

Had one of my most productive range sessions. Was striking my irons really consistently and my driver came alive. Hoping the work I've been putting in leads to better scoring on course
this is exciting man!!!

Seeing this thread has me a bit more motivated to put in some range time.

Have developed an over the top pull shot following wrist surgery. I think this is also contributing to toe strikes, maybe. I need to further investigate and find some drills online. Watched a few instructors last night but won’t be able to hit balls till this weekend or next at the earliest.

Who's up for the range tomorrow

We wound up with 70*F and no wind yesterday...in January...in western Oklahoma. Took advantage and got some practice in. Tempo was much more consistent and ball striking went as tempo went. I'm the world's worst when it comes to trying to add power from the very top of my backswing, instead of allowing my hands to drop before whipping through the ball. It's been my main focus recently and saw some good striking because of that focus yesterday. Hit the driver straight (consistently), irons were a bit more hit and miss, wedges continue to see improved touch around the greens, and putted the ball well. Thankful for the little bits of progress that show their face occasionally.

Back