My handicap (9.7 as of this post) is as low as it's been in a long time. I got it under 8 a couple of times years ago but never put in the work to get it lower. I dropped almost 3 strokes after May last year when I was at 12.5. I don't know if I have the ability to get to 5. Nevertheless, I'm challenging myself to try. The fun is in the chase, right?

My body will have probably the biggest say in whether I can do it. I'll need to get more fit and stronger to withstand the reps it'll take. I started last year at 275 and hit 242 the day I left for the Morgan Cup. I'm at 243 today and have a goal of 220. And, I don't want it to be just 23 pounds less of me. I want it to be a more muscular 220. For someone who dislikes weight training, that's going to be a big challenge. I don't need to get any less flexible so I'll fight that battle, too. I'm not heavily focused on adding speed and distance but if I'm able to do it with a modicum of control, that's gravy.

At the end of the year, I lost shots to a 10 in short game so I'm planning on lessons to address technique shortfalls and develop a practice plan to improve it to at least to the point that I'm not losing shots. I want to get up and down 2 - 3 times more per round. That'll be a huge step and is the priority I'll address first.
I have no doubt you can do this. Like you said, clean up the short game and that 5 will be here quicker than you think.

Your description is pretty much me. Same size. Same cap. Same goals. Although I haven't designated 5 as my goal. Just get better. Good luck with your journey. You can do this.

Your description is pretty much me. Same size. Same cap. Same goals. Although I haven't designated 5 as my goal. Just get better. Good luck with your journey. You can do this.
How is your ankle and leg rehab progressing?

Best of luck!

How is your ankle and leg rehab progressing?
Just back from rehab this am. Good but slow. I show pics of my ankle and people look horrified. Did 6 weeks in boot no weight bearing. Now 2 weeks in with weight bearing. First day I got too ambitious and caused a 3 day pause. Looking at Feb 1st as first chance swing club. Have Hilton Head 2nd week March so pointing toward that.
Had tix for Peach but passed as would have taxed me too much. Glad I did. Ha

@Parrot you've got this. I have all the confidence in the world that you will accomplish your goals and more.

My handicap (9.7 as of this post) is as low as it's been in a long time. I got it under 8 a couple of times years ago but never put in the work to get it lower. I dropped almost 3 strokes after May last year when I was at 12.5. I don't know if I have the ability to get to 5. Nevertheless, I'm challenging myself to try. The fun is in the chase, right?

My body will have probably the biggest say in whether I can do it. I'll need to get more fit and stronger to withstand the reps it'll take. I started last year at 275 and hit 242 the day I left for the Morgan Cup. I'm at 243 today and have a goal of 220. And, I don't want it to be just 23 pounds less of me. I want it to be a more muscular 220. For someone who dislikes weight training, that's going to be a big challenge. I don't need to get any less flexible so I'll fight that battle, too. I'm not heavily focused on adding speed and distance but if I'm able to do it with a modicum of control, that's gravy.

At the end of the year, I lost shots to a 10 in short game so I'm planning on lessons to address technique shortfalls and develop a practice plan to improve it to at least to the point that I'm not losing shots. I want to get up and down 2 - 3 times more per round. That'll be a huge step and is the priority I'll address first.
what percent do you currently get up and down?

what percent do you currently get up and down?
With putter factored in, 36%. Excluding putter, between 20 and 25%. On holes with an up and down chance, my average shots to finish is 2.8. And proximity to hole after the chip/pitch/putt is 17 feet.

The more I look at those numbers the more cringey they are.

With putter factored in, 36%. Excluding putter, between 20 and 25%. On holes with an up and down chance, my average shots to finish is 2.8. And proximity to hole after the chip/pitch/putt is 17 feet.
I'm not too far from those either. The one thing I have noticed recently is if I use a GW or 9 iron my numbers are better. Trying to use them more and more. We will see how it pays off.

I may become friendly with you in this thread this year. I need a golf goal target.

The more I look at those numbers the more cringey they are.
on the flip side, 20-25% gives you a lot of room to quickly eat up strokes with something that is likely technique based, not fitness based

I may become friendly with you in this thread this year. I need a golf goal target.
tim blake nelson water GIF

Same goal as me. Best of luck

Rusty (I mean this with ALL the respect I can give), as an old guy you have some serious game. I think you’re a lot better than you give yourself credit. I think if you get the up and down stats up a bit that will take you to where you want to be. Your irons and driver distance is 🔥

My course has been closed since the 11th. The last of 6 inches more or less of ice and snow on the course should melt off today with the rain. We're forecast to get 3-6 inches of rain between now and Friday morning, then possibly more rain Saturday. If that comes to fruition, or even close to it, it'll be closed into the middle of next week, if not longer.

I'm moving my net into the carport, now that the temps will be above freezing for a good stretch.

The ball return on my Perfect Practice putting mat was broken where it is attached to the cups so I've tried various work arounds there, some more successful than others.

I've got a couple of sessions booked on the Full Swing sim at the new sports bar in town.

I hate this weather.

Episode 8 Nbc GIF by Law & Order

Best of luck! You got this!

Had a fun visit with @OldandStiff today. I hit a few drivers and, despite my swing being absolutely a hot mess, my man was able to change out and/or adjust few things, I was able some decent shots. Here’s a peak at the best club/shaft options, with outliers removed:

IMG_0888.jpeg
IMG_0889.jpegI also hit the big head Ping and tried a few different shafts.

I also hit the big head Ping and tried a few different shafts
That ping is SO HUGE but it’s also probably the easiest driver to hit, ever.

Ai Max is looking pretty decent there for you. Did you get an opportunity to hit the Darkspeed Max. I was very surprised how much I liked it after not enjoying the sound and feel of X. Max is a completely different beast and seems to match up well with me.

Ball speed just from just one generation of driver is pretty wild to me. Everything from ‘24 is significantly faster.

What ball did you hit?

That ping is SO HUGE but it’s also probably the easiest driver to hit, ever.

Ai Max is looking pretty decent there for you. Did you get an opportunity to hit the Darkspeed Max. I was very surprised how much I liked it after not enjoying the sound and feel of X. Max is a completely different beast and seems to match up well with me.

Ball speed just from just one generation of driver is pretty wild to me. Everything from ‘24 is significantly faster.

What ball did you hit?
Chrome Tour.

I was so glad to see you and wish with your drive that I would have had more time to spend. I know you're coming out of the winter but I expect you to be pretty dangerous at the WWG Championship!

Had a fun visit with @OldandStiff today. I hit a few drivers and, despite my swing being absolutely a hot mess, my man was able to change out and/or adjust few things, I was able some decent shots. Here’s a peak at the best club/shaft options, with outliers removed:

View attachment 9241938
View attachment 9241939I also hit the big head Ping and tried a few different shafts.
Some options there that could play really well for you!

Some options there that could play really well for you!
Yep. I want to hit the clubs again after getting in some more swings to ( hopefully) be able to deliver the club better. And, being in a car for a little over 3 hours doesn’t help a swing with already limited rotation. I’ll plan better next time.

I was so glad to see you and wish with your drive that I would have had more time to spend. I know you're coming out of the winter but I expect you to be pretty dangerous at the WWG Championship!
I hope so. Maybe we can get together at Mystic River before then.

Back