Parrot

2025 Worldwide Golf Championship - Team ?????
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My handicap (9.7 as of this post) is as low as it's been in a long time. I got it under 8 a couple of times years ago but never put in the work to get it lower. I dropped almost 3 strokes after May last year when I was at 12.5. I don't know if I have the ability to get to 5. Nevertheless, I'm challenging myself to try. The fun is in the chase, right?

My body will have probably the biggest say in whether I can do it. I'll need to get more fit and stronger to withstand the reps it'll take. I started last year at 275 and hit 242 the day I left for the Morgan Cup. I'm at 243 today and have a goal of 220. And, I don't want it to be just 23 pounds less of me. I want it to be a more muscular 220. For someone who dislikes weight training, that's going to be a big challenge. I don't need to get any less flexible so I'll fight that battle, too. I'm not heavily focused on adding speed and distance but if I'm able to do it with a modicum of control, that's gravy.

At the end of the year, I lost shots to a 10 in short game so I'm planning on lessons to address technique shortfalls and develop a practice plan to improve it to at least to the point that I'm not losing shots. I want to get up and down 2 - 3 times more per round. That'll be a huge step and is the priority I'll address first.

Best of luck to you!

You got this!

I have confidence in you.

I love this, and I'll be here following along. Have you thought about doing a program like Fit4Golf?

You don’t have to go weight training if you really hate it. You can do body weight exercises including some plyometrics and gain strength and explosiveness.

I do recommend something like fit for golf though. For me having workouts planned out for me and not having to create them makes a big difference. Ideally I would work with a local trainer but that is a lot more expensive and I am not sure how much of an improvement it would be.

I cant wait to watch you crush this goal 🦜

Best of luck in this @Parrot i‘ll be rooting for you!

You can do this. 👊🏻

And anytime you want to go test out where you're at Mystic is ready and waiting to keep us humble and grinding. 😆

You can 100% do it and it will be fun to watch!

I love this, and I'll be here following along. Have you thought about doing a program like Fit4Golf?

You don’t have to go weight training if you really hate it. You can do body weight exercises including some plyometrics and gain strength and explosiveness.

I do recommend something like fit for golf though. For me having workouts planned out for me and not having to create them makes a big difference. Ideally I would work with a local trainer but that is a lot more expensive and I am not sure how much of an improvement it would be.
Fit for Golf is a good idea.

I also have the TRX suspension trainer I can use.

Wish you luck on your journey, you got this.

Good luck on the journey!

We will look forward to your progress reports! You’ve got this!

I really like the program as it’s allowed me to substitute some resistance style training in in place of just lifting weights. After a few months on the program my swing coach remarked that my turn had gotten better and I was able to get into some positions a little easier. Don’t know if I can promise your results will be the same, but it did seem like I was able to move my body a bit more the way I wanted it to last year as opposed to year 1 of the journey.

Love seeing threads like this. Can’t wait to see you hit your goals this year!

I have high confidence you can do this! Look forward to your updates as you progress and when you make it.

Best of luck. I have similar goals so this will be fun to follow

You got this!!

You got this @Parrot !

I too would like to get back down to mid single digits, it takes work and determination. Two things I know you absolutely have.

I have a TRX also but frankly don't have enough space for it. The thing I like about FFG is on Sunday night I can schedule what I am going to do for the week and then I don't have to put a workout together I just do what is there. For me that is worth the $120 a year.

Good luck in your journey sir! You got this!

Get it buddy!

That's a tough wall to break through but you're on a good trajectory

Your current handicap indicates that you are already a pretty decent player. The decision to practice more on your short game is the right answer. I have said many times on this forum that becoming proficient from 50 yards into the green is the way for anyone to improve. Good luck.

Back