The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was almost the same for stafford, he got $41.7 mill guranteed. Its ridiculous!

though at least Stafford wasn't coming off of major shoulder surgery.

Russell was 32 mil!!! money well spent

though at least Stafford wasn't coming off of major shoulder surgery.

Russell was 32 mil!!! money well spent

bought a lot of purple drank....

of course not but that's pretty much true with any multi-year contract. perfect world would be everyone plays on 1 year contracts to earn their money as it relates to past performance. true some players will take a pay cut and redcue their salary to stay with a team but there'd be no reason for him to do that yet being he's 24 or so.

Since he has such a short career and signed this deal including 11 million dollars upfront, many believe that you should have to do it for more than 1 year to earn a new deal. Everybody keeps saying "what if he gets hurt". Does his chance of getting hurt diminish after he signs a new deal? In that case wouldnt the team be stupid to resign him to a new contract?

He could care less about a new contract. ALl he cares about is the new upfront money and guaranteed money. In fact that is all the players care about because none of them look at this like a contract. WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING WELL. When they are playing poorly or are hurt, you hear "how could they cut me". The truth is, I dont know a single player that ever said anything about his contract because most dont think they have a contract. They play for guaranteed money. Revis got guaranteed money. Now prove it for a few years or heck even 2 at this same level and he will get a raise.

Revis did not have to sign a 6 year deal in 2007. He chose to. He could have signed 3 or 4 year deals as well. Then 2 years in it would not be as big a deal to want a new contract. He signed a 6 year deal because it gave him the most money upfront guaranteed and now wants a new one for the same reason.

Is the guy underpaid based on his play last season? Yes. Do you know how many guys are overpaid? Let him work through half the contract and then ask for more.

I think they do need a rookie pay scale...every year it seems to get crazier. The interesting thing will be if you get guys that are in the top 10, don't make AS much as they would have due to the scale...will you see more holdouts?

But why would they hold out if a rookie scale is in place? Wouldn't it be pointless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But why would they hold out if a rookie scale is in place? Wouldn't it be pointless?

I would Imagine that if a payscale gets put out there, players are going to get a lot less money. Given a good year or 2, I can imagine the Revis type of sitation happening more. Crabtree held out before he even had a contract. If he was slotted to make X, after 2 or 3 good years, I could see him saying I've played at a higher level than a number 11 pick, I want more money. That's just how I could see that playing out, doesn't mean that it will happen.

Really good point. Has that ever been done in a contract? I think thats a really good idea. Or even they could give him a raise but only pay if he meets certain goals. Like owens contract.
Revis did outplay his rookie contract LAST YEAR. But here is the question. What happens if he does not perform again like he did last year? Will he accept renegotiation for less money? As you say they can cut him, but that has output against the entire team because of the HUGE signing bonus he is asking for.

I would Imagine that if a payscale gets put out there, players are going to get a lot less money. Given a good year or 2, I can imagine the Revis type of sitation happening more. Crabtree held out before he even had a contract. If he was slotted to make X, after 2 or 3 good years, I could see him saying I've played at a higher level than a number 11 pick, I want more money. That's just how I could see that playing out, doesn't mean that it will happen.

Oh youre talking the second contract after the rookie one, right? Id like to see a rookie wage scale and hopefully that cuts back on huge contracts to undeserving players. Then you weed out the Janes from the Tarzans and pay those who deserve it. Maybe that would help with holdouts too.

Lol. Forgot I posted that. Escalators have been done and I answered my own question.

Edit: another long day. Haha
Really good point. Has that ever been done in a contract? I think thats a really good idea. Or even they could give him a raise but only pay if he meets certain goals. Like owens contract.

Heres another thing I dont understand about pro athletes. I hear that Rice just has hip surgery and will miss at least half the season. Ok fine. But I just heard he himself say on NFL Radio he was fine and didnt need surgery a couple months ago. And now just as the season is about to start he gets surgery. So now the best WR on Team Favre is done. I just think thats irresponsible. Whats up with the waiting? How about he get docked pay while hes out. You hear about NBA and MLB players doing this too.

Heres another thing I dont understand about pro athletes. I hear that Rice just has hip surgery and will miss at least half the season. Ok fine. But I just heard he himself say on NFL Radio he was fine and didnt need surgery a couple months ago. And now just as the season is about to start he gets surgery. So now the best WR on Team Favre is done. I just think thats irresponsible. Whats up with the waiting? How about he get docked pay while hes out. You hear about NBA and MLB players doing this too.

seems like brett farve rubbed off on him. keep your team waiting and waiting while you make a decision.

seems like brett farve rubbed off on him. keep your team waiting and waiting while you make a decision.

Im sure theres more to it then I know but I just dont get it. Did he just really not want to play this year? Did he fall off this trampoline and need to get surgery sooner? Hurt himself playing basketball? If I were the Vikings management/Coach Id be livid with this dude.

Im sure theres more to it then I know but I just dont get it. Did he just really not want to play this year? Did he fall off this trampoline and need to get surgery sooner? Hurt himself playing basketball? If I were the Vikings management/Coach Id be livid with this dude.

sounds like the Carlos Beltran of the NFL

you read the apology part of what he said to the league? About it costing him 2 months on his bugatti payment. Which is a $1.5 mill car, not to mention the extra Million for insurance. He is an idoit.

The Lions O-line looked good against Denver, of course it's only preseason. I hope there is a huge improvement in D-Town this year. There is a lot of talent there this year, I just hope their potential gets used. The Steelers also look pretty good in presason, I hope Big Ben only gets a 4 game suspension outta the deal though.

The Lions O-line looked good against Denver, of course it's only preseason. I hope there is a huge improvement in D-Town this year. There is a lot of talent there this year, I just hope their potential gets used. The Steelers also look pretty good in presason, I hope Big Ben only gets a 4 game suspension outta the deal though.
Don't forget, the Steelers got to play against NY's third string QB that entire game.
If you couldn't tell, I have absolutely no faith in them this year.

Don't forget, the Steelers got to play against NY's third string QB that entire game.
If you couldn't tell, I have absolutely no faith in them this year.

don't underestimate rhett bomar. he's my sleeper this year for THP FFL.

don't underestimate rhett bomar. he's my sleeper this year for THP FFL.
I do kind of like the name Rhett, if that counts for anything.
Maybe I'll name my future dog Rhett...

it's really quite surprising. i've always been a fan of colt, but the nfl is a business and if you can't cut it, you get cut. hope he gets it together.

I was a little surprised, but I did not think he was a NFL QB at the starter level. But its also not exactly him trying to get a roster spot from Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. This is Seneca Wallace and Jake D

I never thought McCoy would start at least for a 2-3 years maybe a little longer but never thought he would be "on the bubble" of making a team. Him and tebow both came out of the spread system offenses as did many another players and yes I understand the SEC has tougher defenses/schedule but I didnt ever think he would have a problem with making the team..

I like Colt and I think he will catch on somewhere. He is going to be a project though. I like to see a QB who sits then comes out to play after they have had some time on the bench to learn. Makes me nervous to see a QB come right out and start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back