The Official Banter Away Thread

If you were giving a cash discount to a customer what percentage should that be? I have a customer who always balks at the price of the job and asks for a cash price and I'm undecided. I like cash but its kind of annoying because he asks every time until he started paying by check and I'm annoyed. I'm tempted to start jacking up the price so I get what I want for the job in the first place.

If you were giving a cash discount to a customer what percentage should that be? I have a customer who always balks at the price of the job and asks for a cash price and I'm undecided. I like cash but its kind of annoying because he asks every time until he started paying by check and I'm annoyed. I'm tempted to start jacking up the price so I get what I want for the job in the first place.
5% or less. Most checklane tender fee's are going to be well below that, but it's a convenience thing.

Maybe as little as 3%.

What a 48 hrs it’s been. Tuesday fly out for work and based on what I’m doing I don’t get to bed until 3am. Up at 6am to finish off the job and then on a plane back at 4pm yesterday. I land and my phone is blowing up. My wife is in the ER with what we think is apendicitis. I rush home settle the girls and go to her. Sure enough emergency appendectomy needed and that happened around 10pm last night. Waited for post op stuff to finish and settle her in before coming home to grab a little sleep but up at 4 to start my day.

She’ll be home today and I’m glad it was as much a routine procedure as it could have been but man I’m gassed right now and coffee is my friend. Hug your loved ones THP bc life flips on a dime and notice isn’t given.
Oof that's rough man- glad she's ok, and she'll be home!

If actual cash I'd charge more because I'd have to carry it to the damn bank lol

I stopped this practice at the bike shop years ago.

Yes, "Cash is King" but at the end of the day, I am not watering down services offered just because it's cash anymore.

I don't ever have to deal with this so my opinion is probably not informed, but I don't know that I'd discount a thing. Your prices are your prices, and you set them based on everything not just that one transaction. As a consumer, I don't expect to pay less at the grocery store because I used cash versus swiping my debit card, so wouldn't be any different here.

What a 48 hrs it’s been. Tuesday fly out for work and based on what I’m doing I don’t get to bed until 3am. Up at 6am to finish off the job and then on a plane back at 4pm yesterday. I land and my phone is blowing up. My wife is in the ER with what we think is apendicitis. I rush home settle the girls and go to her. Sure enough emergency appendectomy needed and that happened around 10pm last night. Waited for post op stuff to finish and settle her in before coming home to grab a little sleep but up at 4 to start my day.

She’ll be home today and I’m glad it was as much a routine procedure as it could have been but man I’m gassed right now and coffee is my friend. Hug your loved ones THP bc life flips on a dime and notice isn’t given.
Good luck brother. Glad it was 'just' an appendix emergency!

I had that last June. Weird feeling, for sure!

Hope you catch up on some sleep

If you were giving a cash discount to a customer what percentage should that be? I have a customer who always balks at the price of the job and asks for a cash price and I'm undecided. I like cash but it's kind of annoying because he asks every time until he started paying by check and I'm annoyed. I'm tempted to start jacking up the price so I get what I want for the job in the first place.
Maybe 3% but has to be cash, not a dang check.

Those kind of people are irritating, always an angle on something

Ooof. Tough spot. Because while Cash is King is an easy tagline, its not much more than the cost of the credit card fees and can be more of a hassle.
We accept card payments and typically eat the fees, but sometimes that ends up being a lot of money.

I don't ever have to deal with this so my opinion is probably not informed, but I don't know that I'd discount a thing. Your prices are your prices, and you set them based on everything not just that one transaction. As a consumer, I don't expect to pay less at the grocery store because I used cash versus swiping my debit card, so wouldn't be any different here.
The one positive "Covid hangover" that I love is the stopping of discounts. At the bike shops, for years, everyone belonged to this or that bike club and wanted a discount because of it. Or, they wanted a "bro discount" because they came in so often. When Covid depleted inventory, we stopped any discounting because we needed to maximize whatever revenue we could because we literally had nothing to sell except for maybe 4-5 bikes in stock and some random parts and accessories.

So, when that happened, we just said "we arent able to discount the handful of items we have available." People understood, and that has carried over ever since.

Ooof. Tough spot. Because while Cash is King is an easy tagline, its not much more than the cost of the credit card fees and can be more of a hassle.
We accept card payments and typically eat the fees, but sometimes that ends up being a lot of money.
I've seen a growing trend of places charging the fees back these days. Dry Cleaner I use just went under "new management" and now they hit you with the convenience fee of using a credit card. We eat the fees of credit cards, as when we agree to accept them, we understand that there is a processing fee. Cant stand when someone puts the fees back on the consumer.

I made some moves yesterday.....😬
IMG_0197.jpeg

man. glad she's doing ok now.
Id say try to get some rest, but that aint happening.

I've seen a growing trend of places charging the fees back these days. Dry Cleaner I use just went under "new management" and now they hit you with the convenience fee of using a credit card. We eat the fees of credit cards, as when we agree to accept them, we understand that there is a processing fee. Cant stand when someone puts the fees back on the consumer.
We havent done it yet. But when someone wants to pay in full for the year, we eat it and it can be a really large number coming out.
Its something we are figuring out for next year as some things we are going to be shifting with rising costs.

Call it what you want, convenience, processing fee - cash discount etc etc I agree.

I still liked when I would spend a lot of time in Mexico or a hispanic dominated area in California that they were cash only - due to living there for so long I still try to carry some on me for when I run into it.

A happy World Penguin Day to all who celebrate. 🐧

penguins madagascar GIF
little known fact. I actually have a penguin tattoo

Constant negotiations on things like this are annoying. Having lived outside the US for bit I did learn that it is much much more common outside the US and it just part of the game..

I still think it is annoying..

Call it what you want, convenience, processing fee - cash discount etc etc I agree.

I still liked when I would spend a lot of time in Mexico or a hispanic dominated area in California that they were cash only - due to living there for so long I still try to carry some on me for when I run into it.
I think I am one of the last individuals that carries cash. Always have at least $100 on me.

We havent done it yet. But when someone wants to pay in full for the year, we eat it and it can be a really large number coming out.
Its something we are figuring out for next year as some things we are going to be shifting with rising costs.
You're talking from your sponsors, right?

Not us with the AC.

I'm sure that can be a big number.

Started taking Amex a few years back, after not taking it for years, and every time someone pulls out an AMEX for a big purchase I cringe a little bit.

I think I am one of the last individuals that carries cash. Always have at least $100 on me.
Currently sitting on 73 bucks - 50, 2 10's and 3 1s. Usually that 50 would be a 20 or something, but going to the zoo a couple weeks back I grab a bill because we are going to have to stop and get snacks for the kids.

I'm the only one in my friend group that carries cash though.

I'm sure that can be a big number.

Started taking Amex a few years back, after not taking it for years, and every time someone pulls out an AMEX for a big purchase I cringe a little bit.

I think about that every time I pay with my Delta Skymiles AMEX. Wish they had a non-AMEX option. But I also feel like vendors should factor CC fees into cost of business and roll that into base pricing, not charge a separate fee on top.

Back