The Most Overlooked Record in Professional Sports

Pretty impressive. I definitely didn’t know the record was 84 games.

If you asked me to guess who it was I would have probably said Ted Williams. I would have initially thought Barry Bonds the years he was shattering intentional walks but then when I knew that he wasn’t the answer I would have moved to Ted. But would have had no clue the number.

That is crazy. I wish I knew more about things like this.

Pretty impressive. I definitely didn’t know the record was 84 games.

If you asked me to guess who it was I would have probably said Ted Williams. I would have initially thought Barry Bonds the years he was shattering intentional walks but then when I knew that he wasn’t the answer I would have moved to Ted. But would have had no clue the number.
Bonds in 2004. .609 OBP. Intentionally walked 120 times. He reached base more times than official ABs because of the more than 230 times he was walked.

This is an aside…. If only Ted had had the “personality” commensurate with his hitting ability - he would be looked at more in the same way people look at Ruth.
It also hurts to an extent that he played for the Red Sox in an era of dominance by the Yankees. He never won a World Series and only played in one (1946).

Bonds in 2004. .609 OBP. Intentionally walked 120 times. He reached base more times than official ABs because of the more than 230 times he was walked.
Yeah, if you asked me who it was I would have gone to Bonds and this season. It was absurd. But I knew he didn't own the record.

This is so good. THE greatest hitter who ever lived…

main-qimg-e7c7bf5ef01f21d5c1ed9792fd8dcfc5.jpeg.jpg

This is so good. THE greatest hitter who ever lived…
Might want to look at Ruth's numbers before calling anyone else the greatest hitter ever.

Might want to look at Ruth's numbers before calling anyone else the greatest hitter ever.

Babe Ruth should have an asterisk by his name.

I did. Don’t see that batting average or obp anywhere.

I did. Don’t see that batting average or obp anywhere.
Ruth
Career OPS 1.164 1st.
Career Avg. .342 9th.
Career OBP. .474 2nd.
Career SLG. 690 1st.
Career HR. 714. 3rd

Williams

Career OPS 1.116
Career Avg. .344
Career OBP. .482
Career SLG. .634
Career HR. 521

Last edited:
Ruth
Career OPS 1.164 1st.
Career Avg. .342 9th.
Career OBP. .474 2nd.
Career SLG. 690 1st.
Career HR. 714. 3rd
So no, he doesn’t have the record.
This isn’t about who is better, the title says it all. The most overlooked record in sports. It belongs to Williams and as you can see Ruth was 2nd.

So no, he doesn’t have the record.
This isn’t about who is better, the title says it all. The most overlooked record in sports. It belongs to Williams and as you can see Ruth was 2nd.
I answered someone who said Williams was the greatest hitter ever. I feel that title belongs to Babe Ruth. Check my original post.
Look at career OPS which combines OBP. plus SLG. SLG. is related to total bases. Ruth is number one. Williams is 2nd.

Last edited:
Williams career numbers are insane. He’s one of those players that transcends liking or disliking a team. Even if you hate the Sawx, you can’t deny Williams.

Williams career numbers are insane. He’s one of those players that transcends liking or disliking a team. Even if you hate the Sawx, you can’t deny Williams.
Williams' numbers are indeed insane but they don't hold up to Ruth's.

• WTF
Reactions: JB
Nor did Ruth miss 5 seasons for fighting for our country.
Yep. And played defense every day. And as impressive as this OBP record is, hitting .400 in a season is also something I don’t think we’ll ever come close to seeing again.

Reactions: JB
Ruth was a pitcher from 1914-1918.
Here's the Baseball HOF opinion on the GOAT of hitting.

Not what this thread is about.
Want to start one and shout from the mountain tops the greatness of Babe Ruth, have at it.

ted Williams has a record and a crazy one nobody knows about. Two triple crown wins, hit .400 and served his country losing 5 seasons.

I don’t think anyone is questioning Ruth’s greatness. Just celebrating The Kid’s.
Thank you. That was more eloquent than mine

Nor did Ruth miss 5 seasons for fighting for our country.
Ruth was a pitcher from 1914-1918.
Here's the Baseball HOF opinion on the GOAT of hitting.
Thank you. That was more eloquent than mine
Again someone said Williams was the greatest hitter ever. Are you saying I can't post a disagreement???????

Jesus, i'm not denying Williams was really special. I'm just disagreeing with a post.

That is amazing. Even though I am a huge Red Sox fan, I had no idea this record existed.

That is amazing. Even though I am a huge Red Sox fan, I had no idea this record existed.
I'm a Cards fan, I hope Tyler O'Neil works out for y'all. Really nice guy.

Back