The Most Overlooked Record in Professional Sports

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Its Ted Williams.
By a lot!

Can't lie... did not know that record. Ashamed I didn't. His career OBP is insane.

• Admin
Can't lie... did not know that record. Ashamed I didn't. His career OBP is insane.
Yeah nearly .500 for his entire career is nuts.
Two legends from Boston Sports and both are overlooked during GOAT talks in him and Bill Russell.

I think I have read every book on Ted Williams ever done. The talk that he was kind of done when he had to go off to the war was funny looking back at it. Then he of course accomplished it. Conservatively he gets to 600 without the missing time, most likely closer to 700 if not passed it.

Ted Williams was the GOAT of his day for sure. It's a ridiculous accomplishment that will never be broken.

I read about this a week or so back. I was talking to a friend about Williams’ triple crown seasons and narrow misses in a couple of others and fell down the rabbit hole.

By grandfather served as a maintenance man and window washer for Ted at his hotel/residence in Boston. He was also kind to people like him. I think people, especially in New England appreciate Ted's triple crown, career average, home runs, but still don't know about that OBP mark. One of my first baseball games ever was two rows behind Ted's "red seat" in the bleachers at Fenway from his massive home run. Reminds fans of history. With the lack of buzz around town with the Sox this year, the seat might be vacant some games, further revealing the history to new generations.

Ted Williams' numbers are insane!

• Admin
I read about this a week or so back. I as talking to a friend about Williams’ triple crown seasons and narrow misses in a couple of others and fell down the rabbit hole.
His records are insane
Obviously career OBA of .482 is nuts
Led the league in OBA 12 times
Hit .406 during 1941
Multiple Triple Crowns (he didnt win MVP in either of those years, which is a travesty)

I believe Rogers Hornsby and Ted Williams are the only players to win the triple crown more than once.

The talk that he was kind of done when he had to go off to the war was funny looking back at it. Then he of course accomplished it. Conservatively he gets to 600 without the missing time, most likely closer to 700 if not passed it.
I think he is the best hitter ever. Even if he only met his average production in those three years, that would’ve forever resolved that argument.

His records are insane
Obviously career OBA of .482 is nuts
Led the league in OBA 12 times
Hit .406 during 1941
Multiple Triple Crowns (he didnt win MVP in either of those years, which is a travesty)

I believe Rogers Hornsby and Ted Williams are the only players to win the triple crown more than once.
That generation man... here are my numbers and oh yeah... I took 2 years off to fly planes in WWII.

That generation man... here are my numbers and oh yeah... I took 2 years off to fly planes in WWII.
And 99% of 2 seasons for Korea.

I am not a baseball fan by any means but I listened to that and (unsurprisingly) I had no idea. Listening to the statistics though, that's simply amazing.

Reminds me of the not-cut streak that Tiger has, some things are just beyond the regular athlete.

More than 2 years.
Five seasons due to war.

More than 2 years.
Five seasons due to war.
Holy S&%T... I had absolutely no idea it was that many. Definitely the "Greatest Generation."

Still can't watch this without it getting dusty.
That intro is nuts

Anyone remember Ricky Henderson? I remember he was one hell of a base stealer. Not sure if it compares to Ted Williams, but RH's record is probably overlooked.

I had heard this stat a few years back and it's insane.

I miss the era of baseball where getting on base was important. Made the game much more interesting instead of watching guys strike out constantly only looking for home runs.

guilty not knowing this impressive record.

Was not aware of that record either, but my vote goes to Wilt Chamberlain's 50.4 (or something like that) scoring average over a season. If he scored 30 points one game he'd have to score 70 the next just to keep pace.

I realize his was a different era, but I can only go by what Chamberlain did relative to the guys he played against. Plus, no three point shot (although it was unlikely Wilt would ever have taken advantage of it).

I don't think that record will ever even be approached, much less broken.

Was not aware of that record either, but my vote goes to Wilt Chamberlain's 50.4 (or something like that) scoring average over a season. If he scored 30 points one game he'd have to score 70 the next just to keep pace.

I realize his was a different era, but I can only go by what Chamberlain did relative to the guys he played against. Plus, no three point shot (although it was unlikely Wilt would ever have taken advantage of it).

I don't think that record will ever even be approached, much less broken.
I genuinely dont think Wilt's record is overlooked though.
Most know about his 100 point game and his scoring average for the season I think. At least basketball fans do.

Ted Williams was the greatest hitter of all time.

This is one of my favorite photographs. Ted Williams and John Glenn.

Xh5XNaJju9lKn7QNQj776dutQXtbG5CSWHAMpXQun_U.jpg

There was another player from Williams time that was right there with The Splendid Splinter. The only man Williams would listen to when talking about hitting.
An amazing record in consistency, 3630 lifetime hits, 1815 at home, 1815 on the road. His 1948 season was one of the best ever in professional baseball. Eight batting titles. Baseball's perfect knight. The Man. Here's a picture of his last AB against a fellow named Koufax. Busted up Sandy's no hitter in the 7th inning. September 17, 1963.

musial vs. koufax.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a record that doesn’t even make sense, it’s so unreachable

This is an aside…. If only Ted had had the “personality” commensurate with his hitting ability - he would be looked at more in the same way people look at Ruth.

Back