The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's opponent. Noonish if the weather holds.

Kevin

SE_shrek_golf_01.jpg

Today's opponent. Noonish if the weather holds.

Kevin

SE_shrek_golf_01.jpg

I hear he hits a good long ball but his short game is weak. Take him down Esox!

The villagers are rejoicing. The Ogre has been defeated.

More on this story later.

Kevin

Nice work Esox! This is obviously one of many victories to come for you this summer.

The villagers are rejoicing. The Ogre has been defeated.

More on this story later.

Kevin

Congrats Ogre-Slayer Kevin!!

Was a crazy day in Cheeseland. Yesterday it was 95*. Some schools were closed because they're not air conditioned. Today it was low 50*s with 20+ mph winds. I got to the course about 11:00. The Ogre had requested a call, his swamp shack is nearby, when I got there. He had a village to pillage, and didn't get there until 12:30 so I had plenty of time to practice. I hit a large bucket and putted for a half an hour before we teed off. He's a low handicap Ogre and had to give me a stroke on three holes; the 3rd, 6th, and 16th. A par four and two par fives.

The day did not begin well for old Esox. Doubled the first and bogeyed the second to go two down. He doubled the 3rd to my bogey. We traded a few holes back and forth. He birdied the 6th after I lipped a 12' putt for birdie to halve my other stroke hole on the front nine. After playing the first three in +4, I played my way in at +1 for a 40 (par is 35). He also shot 40 and we were all square.

10th hole. Par, par = AS
11th hole. Par for me, bogey for him. Esox is up one for his first lead of the day.
12th hole. I chip up to an inch to save par. He two putts for par. Esox up one.

Then the fun begins.

13th hole. Par three, down wind, 177 to the pin. Esox hits 7i to 6' just right and slightly below the hole. Shrek is in the middle of the green about 20'. He rams it 4' past. Esox putts the Ghost to work and drains the putt for birdie. 2 up.

14th hole. Esox absolutely kills a drive. Boing! It hits the overhead power lines that cross the fairway. Local rule allows for re-tee. Second drive is a slight pull to the right rough. 135 left. 9i to 10'+- just left of the hole. He's behind the hole 20' or so. He misses. The Ghost drains birdie #2. 3 up.

15th hole. Drive to 151 left. Downwind 9i to 5'. He has 15' or so. He misses. The Ghost drains birdie #3.

Game, set, and match. 4 and 3 win for the Team Paradiser. Shrek shakes hands and comments, "That was some great ball striking the last seven holes or so. You're -3 this side let's play it in.

16th hole. Par 5. Not quite reachable, but Esox is living large. Thinking a birdie here and he's -4 with a short par 3 and short par 4 to finish. Tees it up high, rears back, and hits a high push/fade that rides the wind into the back yard of a nice 8 year old colonial. lol. OB. Double bogey. Still -1 on the back.

17th hole. 135 yard par three. Pin up. 9i hits the front slope about a foot short of the green and spins back 10'. Chip it past to above the hole. Roll it past 4'. Yikes. Squeeze it in the side door for bogey. Back to even par on for the nine.

18th hole. Best drive of day. Straight as string, about 265. Where was that on the 16th? Half gap wedge to 12' Putt breaks off right at the hole leaving a 2" tap in for par.

Even par 36 paired with the 40 on the front for 76.

And the Ogre is defeated 4 and 3.

Kevin

GREAT round Kevin. Yer' a scary serious golfer, you are!

Excellent job on your victory, Kevin. Love the recap as well. Sounds like your irons and putter really were working well for you. Well done!

I'm happy that a THP'er won today. I am an ogre too, a hairy, Southern, educated ogre that doesn't make double bogeys like the Wiscansin (spelled for accental effect) version.

I am pumped for you though, you noble Paradisian. Glad to hear the driver is getting longer and that putts are falling.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I love the recap Esox. You have the game and the passion of a true team paradise member. Good on ya man.

I signed up for all our match play events this summer. I plan on doing one step better than last year and win either the heads up or the handicap match play.

Tappin the keg!

I love the recap Esox. You have the game and the passion of a true team paradise member. Good on ya man.

I signed up for all our match play events this summer. I plan on doing one step better than last year and win either the heads up or the handicap match play.

Tappin the keg!

That's awesome! Good luck dude, I think you'll do great.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Esox that was a great recap, very fun to read! I'm glad you whooped some Ogre ass today, you'll be doing the same thing down at Reunion in August!

I just signed up for our Men's Club (handicapped) match play event myself, I'm ready to make some noise in this event!

Just got in from a quick 9. Strange round. 1st hole I drove behind a tree, punched out, pitched to 15 feet and my par putt spun out. Then I hit GIR's on 2,3,4,5,6 and couldn't get a birdie putt to fall. +1 after 6 and then I went Bogey-Bogey-Bogey to shoot +4. One thing I liked about today was I had a lot of those in between yardages where I would have to choke up on club instead of just grip and rip. I was pretty successful with that. I worked on a bunch of things from my lesson, but it still too early to tell if there was a difference or not. I turned my driver face to 2 degrees open. Hit it well twice, and poorly twice.

Just got in from a quick 9. Strange round. 1st hole I drove behind a tree, punched out, pitched to 15 feet and my par putt spun out. Then I hit GIR's on 2,3,4,5,6 and couldn't get a birdie putt to fall. +1 after 6 and then I went Bogey-Bogey-Bogey to shoot +4. One thing I liked about today was I had a lot of those in between yardages where I would have to choke up on club instead of just grip and rip. I was pretty successful with that. I worked on a bunch of things from my lesson, but it still too early to tell if there was a difference or not. I turned my driver face to 2 degrees open. Hit it well twice, and poorly twice.
That's a lot of GIR's dude, keep it up. GIR's are MONEY in match play!

That's a lot of GIR's dude, keep it up. GIR's are MONEY in match play!

I've been using my AW for almost every shot from 70 yards and in. I love it around the green.

I was in a Morgan Cup experience today. We had a par 3 tournament today which is a regular event prior to our Club Championship. I finished 3rd out of the field and had to go into a playoff. The guy I had to go into the playoff with was not going to fold. It was a Ryder Cup experience. It took four holes and this guy made a couple of eight foot putts to hang when I thought I had him by the throat. On the fourth hole I hit the green and he pushed it off to the right. He still hit a great wedge shot back to five foot (which I thought was a lock the way he was putting). My putt was uphill about 12 foot to a plateau. Not easy but I put it within three foot. He missed his and I made mine! Pressure but I won!!! Not a better feeling in golf.... I hope all Morgan Cuppers get to fill this joy at one point during your matches. It is breath taking :thumb:

I was in a Morgan Cup experience today. We had a par 3 tournament today which is a regular event prior to our Club Championship. I finished 3rd out of the field and had to go into a playoff. The guy I had to go into the playoff with was not going to fold. It was a Ryder Cup experience. It took four holes and this guy made a couple of eight foot putts to hang when I thought I had him by the throat. On the fourth hole I hit the green and he pushed it off to the right. He still hit a great wedge shot back to five foot (which I thought was a lock the way he was putting). My putt was uphill about 12 foot to a plateau. Not easy but I put it within three foot. He missed his and I made mine! Pressure but I won!!! Not a better feeling in golf.... I hope all Morgan Cuppers get to fill this joy at one point during your matches. It is breath taking :thumb:
Nice work Gray, it sure is quite a rush indeed! I love one on one match play!

Old guys FTW! Was your opponent an ogre? I played Shrek today. Nothing sexier than an old warrior taking down an ogre.

Kevin

Old guys FTW! Was your opponent an ogre? I played Shrek today. Nothing sexier than an old warrior taking down an ogre.

Kevin

Did he ride donkey or take a cart?

--
tapatalk

Just got back from a quick 9 before I have to go to a wedding, overall played ok but had an eagle and a Birdie back to back, so that makes me pretty happy! When I whip the putter into shape, I'll be dangerous!

Just got back from a quick 9 before I have to go to a wedding, overall played ok but had an eagle and a Birdie back to back, so that makes me pretty happy! When I whip the putter into shape, I'll be dangerous!

that is the truth! Not even TC can deny that one.

I'm in the woods right now for my sisters wedding but love reading all the updates on my phone. There won't be any golf for a few days but I did bring a 4 iron and my speed sleeve to get some work in. Wife is coming so I have to go or she will throw my phone in the ocean.

I'm in the woods right now for my sisters wedding but love reading all the updates on my phone. There won't be any golf for a few days but I did bring a 4 iron and my speed sleeve to get some work in. Wife is coming so I have to go or she will throw my phone in the ocean.
HAHAHA! That sounds exactly like something I'd say! Get some work in when there is a slow time in the action buddy!

Great work, ddec. GIRs is where it's at.

The Ogre Slayer

Hit a bucket today with my daughter. Rushed out the house without putting my contacts in. Yikes, I definitely know why I wear contacts on the course. Looking down with my bi-focals the balls looks like it's moving. lol. Not a good session.

I am so itching to play all the time it's driving me nuts. Men's club tomorrow morning. "Odd and Even" is the event. Two man event where you count the scores of one player on the even numbered holes, and the other's on the odd numbered. Playing with my "Blue Coat" partner. The "Blue Coat" is our clubs two man best ball Summer long match play tournament. He's a high handicapper.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back