The Morgan Cup - The Official 2012 Thread

I'm so excited for this event and right now I don't have any outlet for it. I have to get out and hit some Callaway equipment soon.

I was able to go to a golf shop earlier this evening, and had the chance to roll some Never Compromise putters for the first time. They only had the Gambler series in the shop. I have putted with a high-MOI style putter for a number of years, so I went straight for the mallet putter that I saw, which was the Gambler Straight. That head size is still a little bit smaller than what I'm putting with right now (Corza Ghost), but the roll that it puts on the ball was very nice. One thing that was interesting is that I've putted with 35 inch putters for years, but when using the Never Compromise putters, 34 inches actually felt better to me than 35 did.

After that, I decided to take a look at the "anser-style" putter than they had, which was the Gambler Royal. Very interestingly, I putted better with that putter than the Straight! The feel coming off of the putterface was really soft, and I felt like I could really release the putterhead well. It's actually made me think about possibly going away from a mallet putter to more of an "anser-style", I guess I'll have to do some more testing in the future.

The shop also had the new 588 wedges in there. While I didn't get to hit those wedges, they set up very well to my eye. I can't wait to have 2 or 3 of those wedges in my Morgan Cup bag!

Thats awesome Arydolphin, I have a shop near me that has the NC putters but I haven't taken one out to roll it yet. I love going over to that course where that proshop is because they will actually let me take it outside on the large practice green, so I get a better feel than the fake greens, but I can't wait to go there and try one out once we have a decent day again

I'm so excited for this event and right now I don't have any outlet for it. I have to get out and hit some Callaway equipment soon.

Same here CB, what stinks is that so much of their new stuff won't hit stores til Feb. or March. So either we wait til then to hit them or maybe we will get lucky and they will start sending equipment out to the Callaway staffers before then. I guess some of it would be better to try out first though such as drivers, because it sounds like the Fit could be an amazing driver with the right shaft put on it, but the Black has great performance right out of the box. I'm going to be spending a lot of time at the golf shop come February and March

Start looking for those demo days. Great place to test it all.

I have a feeling I will deflate egos on True Blue. Big heads will shrink quickly.

Mr 4Bird - Hairy - One T
TC- INternetgolfer - Biggsy

I'm looking at these matchups from all sorts of angles... what I've seen in the what did you shoot, on the course and kinda handicaps. I love a good storyline too. I think the matchups from a singles perspective like above, I also look at potential trash talk haha. Could be absolutely epic in some cases.

For the Scramble I'd like to see:

Jwow/Hanks - INternetgolfer/Cookie
TC/Myself - One T/Cookie
Mr 4Bird/Smalls - Seth/SW
Hawk/Coolbreeze - Hairy/ghsace

Again from a lot of perspectives and I obviously didn't catch everyone. I've got tons rolling through my head dude. haha.
I've played with Jake before and saw his best score ever to that point. I wouldn't mind playing with him again!

Captain's?

Although I would be inclined to trust in Smalls. He seems good at numbers and keeping up with things.

I nominate smalls too, he seems pretty on the ball.

Lets take the housing talk offline so to speak so that we dont clog a public forum thread with minor details that only affect a select few. Thanks guys.
Good idea JB. I just want to say one thing and then we can take it to PM's. The 8 person per condo works great team-wise, but since some are bringing significant others, there may be issues. Maybe find out who will be bach'ing it for the weekend and who will need a room to themselves. Might end up not so much rooming by teams, but by single/double necessity. And yeah, I'll help in the working out lodging. Other teams lodgekeeper contact me and we'll figure out what needs to be done.

Sorry, JB. Now back on topic!

This whole event just keeps sinking in more and more and it is just unreal. I think everything was just sort of surreal at first and it was hard to believe that I was going to be part of such an amazing event, but as a little time has passed I am starting to realize that I am part of something so amazing, and it just feels awesome! I am so proud to be a part of this and I cannot wait to tee it up with the rest of you at these two beautiful tracks. I can't wait to finally meet all the competitors and any other THPers that make the trip to watch. It is still half a year away but I'm sure time is going to fly for these next 8 months.

I just found this listing on Golfweek.com, both True Blue and Caledonia are ranked in the top 10 public courses in South Carolina by that magazine. Some pretty heavy hitters on this list, I'm so excited to get down there to play both courses!

South Carolina

1.) Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, Kiawah Island (No. 20 m)

2.) Harbour Town GL, Hilton Head Island (No. 42 m)

3.) Caledonia Golf & Fish Club, Pawleys Island (No. 100 m)

4.) May River Course at Palmetto Bluff, Bluffton (m)

5.) Dunes Golf & Beach Club, Myrtle Beach (c)

6.) Tidewater Plantation GC, North Myrtle Beach (m)

7.) True Blue, Pawleys Island (m)

8.) TPC at Myrtle Beach, Murrells Inlet (m)

9.) Barefoot Landing (Love), North Myrtle Beach (m)

10.) Aiken GC, Aiken (c)*

I just found this listing on Golfweek.com, both True Blue and Caledonia are ranked in the top 10 public courses in South Carolina by that magazine. Some pretty heavy hitters on this list, I'm so excited to get down there to play both courses!

South Carolina

Crazy list and unreal that we get to tee it up there.

Yeah with all the courses in SC, specifically Myrtle Beach, I am super excited that these courses are both rated as top courses. I have read numerous articles talking about how these are the favorites out of a lot of people who golf at Myrtle Beach. It is going to be such an honor playing these tracks

Wow, thanks for sharing that Ary. There are some insanely nice courses throughout the state and the fact that both of these are in the top 10 makes me realize even more just how lucky we are.

Tappin' from my iPad!

For what it's worth, I've played #1 and #4 on that list, and both are amazingly nice courses. #1 is significantly harder than #4 though! Having Caledonia sit right in the middle of those is pretty good, it's going to be a real treat.

Is there a sign up for volunteers yet? If I missed it sorry

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

That's an awesome list Ary, thanks for posting that. It's so awesome that you guys get to play there.

Is there a sign up for volunteers yet? If I missed it sorry

yes. Contact Golfer Gal via PM and she will give you all the details.

yes. Contact Golfer Gal via PM and she will give you all the details.

Awesome, thanks jb

I imagine some of you are as curious as I am about which courses we'll play during each round and from which tees.

When you look at True Blue on the surface, it looks crazy long - 6,800 from the blue tees. When I looked closer, it's really the par 5's that eat up most of that yardage. They are long! There are only three 400+ yard par 4's and the par 3's are pretty short aside from one of them. That's not to say we'd play the blue tees anyway, but it's interesting to look at.

Definitely need to work on my par 5 game.

I imagine some of you are as curious as I am about which courses we'll play during each round and from which tees.

When you look at True Blue on the surface, it looks crazy long - 6,800 from the blue tees. When I looked closer, it's really the par 5's that eat up most of that yardage. They are long! There are only three 400+ yard par 4's and the par 3's are pretty short aside from one of them. That's not to say we'd play the blue tees anyway, but it's interesting to look at.

Definitely need to work on my par 5 game.

I wonder if there might be some mixed tees? I know we didnt play very long last year and I liked it. Made it interesting for sure on my wayward drives though lol.

South Carolina

How did I miss this. This is jsut awesome. I can't believe how lucky we are.

How did I miss this. This is jsut awesome. I can't believe how lucky we are.

sweet find Ary.
we are truly lucky, indeed...

I wonder if there might be some mixed tees? I know we didnt play very long last year and I liked it. Made it interesting for sure on my wayward drives though lol.

last year I don't think we played long, the singles was only around 6200 yards if I remember right.

I think the mixed tees is what we are going to do. It just looks like it would make sense, but whatever is decided is fine by me.

Back