The lower back pain thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I developed lower back problems after joining the gym and trying to strengthen my core. I guess I didn't do things right and probably don't swing my body right when playing golf either. The constant strain on my lower back and butt muscles got the best of me for several months. I'm still having a terrible pinching in my right hip area and numbness in my thigh. My lower spine looked great on x-rays though. I'm having an epidural injection done on my neck this week. It's hell getting old for sure!

After hitting the range three times and playing both days over the weekend today I took a break. Just got back from putting and chipping a little to give the back some rest.

What the hell is with lower back pain? I get it after every round, every range session and sometimes after just sitting in my chair. I hate it. Ive been doing some stretches every day and night and that has helped a lot. But it always comes back. Anyone got any tips or do I just need to see a doctor? Or am I just doing something that wrong in my swing?

I hunch over when i putt - so when i have an extended putting session i can feel my lower back muscles tensing up.

I think im just getting old... i try and stretch those and my core muscles daily... so im more flexible....

Ok I will admit that I skimmed a bit but here are three things that work for me.
1. A good chiropractor, keeping the back aligned can work wonders for me.
2. A good massage therapist, keeping the big knots out of the back helps with flexibality and just feels good to boot.
3. My favorite back stretching, Lay on your back and put your lower legs up on a couch or chair. Your hamstings will need to be up against the front of the couch, now your body is in 90 degree angles. I can really feel this stretching out the back ande after about 10 minutes I am good to go again.

I hope thse help guys.

What the hell is with lower back pain? I get it after every round, every range session and sometimes after just sitting in my chair. I hate it. Ive been doing some stretches every day and night and that has helped a lot. But it always comes back. Anyone got any tips or do I just need to see a doctor? Or am I just doing something that wrong in my swing?

Kevin, I went through the same thing last summer. My last round (before seeking help) I quit after the third hole drive, the lower back pain was too intense. Since I had already seen a back doctor before the season started to make sure my back was in good shape, I opted for a chiroprator to resolve the sharp lower back pains.

It took about three weeks and roughly 6 sessions with the Chiro to get me back on track. For me, deep massage didn't work, hurt like hell. The best was ultrasound and electro stimulation in conjunction with exercise. The exercise was simple. When you wake up in the morning lay flat on your back, bring your knees up with feet flat on the bed and rotate your knees left to right about 20-30 times.

I was back on the golf course in 3 weeks and haven't had a recurrance since.

Good luck, getting older sucks, I know. :angry:

I gotta echo what many others have said, here. A strong core is the way to go along with keeping your hamstrings in particular, flexible.

I have a terribly bad back. Just short of the doc recommending surgery (although he swears it's in my future) but forever feeling as if it's on the verge of going out. A few things I've done since October have seemed to make a world of difference.

First, I bought an inversion table. A Teeter Hang-Ups, that you see on the infomercials. It's great as it elongates my spine and gives a great stretch to the lower back area. Secondly, although I've worked out for years and appear fit, I'd always just done abs but didn't really hit the entire core. Now I hit the core very hard and feel more stable and stronger than I have in years.

I'm much longer this year, too. At least 1 to 1.5 clubs longer throughout the bag. Still adjusting to the extra length... but I like it. :smile:

Feel better, best of luck.

I have had some lower back problems in the past, but mostly run into stiffness in my shoulders, neck, and upper back. After hitting balls a couple times early in the week and then playing Thursday and Friday, I had nothing left for Saturday and Sunday this early in the year. Could barely make a shoulder turn and played terribly. Was probably stupid this early in the year in cold weather as I'm older than most of you commenting in this thread. My lower back does stiffen up if I putt for a long time. That's probably a sign there's too much tension in my body while putting.

Getting old does suck.

Kevin

Made the mistake of lifting some equipment at work, my lower back upper right hip hurts so bad I want to cuss, lol. Dagnabbit!!

Chiropractor tomorrow.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I lifted some heavy stuff this weekend too duey, and my back is feeling it. It's not chiropractor bad, I should be able to work it out.

I've had the same issues with the lower back, between hockey and golf.. Seems like every time I go out I find a new muscle that is flat out unimpressed about my decision making haha!

I am seriously considering Yoga.. I have heard that it does absolute wonders for your range of motion and flexibility.. Maybe reducing the limitations on our backs would alleviate some of the pain..

I skimmed, sorry. My lower back pain comes from 1) an injury in 2000 and 2) tight hamstrings. I try to stretch my legs as much as possible before I golf. Nothing can be done for my actual back injury, but loose legs helps a lot. I get low back pain from being in the same position for too long a time. I rarely hit more than a medium, usually small, bucket of balls because of this.

Some back pain is acute and be resolved with an Excedrin/Tylenol combo. Chronic pain sucks and takes chronic therapy (pillow between knees at night, heck, even tried acupuncture...hate pills). A contributing factor to my higher scores is I swing pain free. This adds loft to my shots and limits my ability to perform at optimum levels. Know what? I still love the game and always will, higher scores and all.

I skimmed, sorry. My lower back pain comes from 1) an injury in 2000 and 2) tight hamstrings. I try to stretch my legs as much as possible before I golf. Nothing can be done for my actual back injury, but loose legs helps a lot. I get low back pain from being in the same position for too long a time. I rarely hit more than a medium, usually small, bucket of balls because of this.

Some back pain is acute and be resolved with an Excedrin/Tylenol combo. Chronic pain sucks and takes chronic therapy (pillow between knees at night, heck, even tried acupuncture...hate pills). A contributing factor to my higher scores is I swing pain free. This adds loft to my shots and limits my ability to perform at optimum levels. Know what? I still love the game and always will, higher scores and all.

I suffer from chronic back pain (it's in remission). I've had rounds where I have to lay on the course to stretch the muscles in my back. I lost weight this winter (19 pounds) and Worked on getting in better shape. So far, I haven't had any back pain in months.

I too have used acupuncture and visited the dark depths of pain medication addiction. All I can recommend is stretching legs, core, and trying to keep in shape. The majority of us will never know why our backs ache.

Tap before talk.

I suffer from chronic back pain (it's in remission). I've had rounds where I have to lay on the course to stretch the muscles in my back. I lost weight this winter (19 pounds) and Worked on getting in better shape. So far, I haven't had any back pain in months.

I too have used acupuncture and visited the dark depths of pain medication addiction. All I can recommend is stretching legs, core, and trying to keep in shape. The majority of us will never know why our backs ache.

Tap before talk.

Weight thing is huge WM. I am not a big fella, you know that. But when I pack on some pounds it always sits on my belt. And yes, pills are not the way out. Pain meds are short acting and have no curative properties. Glad to hear you have been pain free for so long. Recently I was folding clothes on the bed and I almost screamed like a little girl because I was locked into a slightly hunched over position for over 3-4 minutes.

No idea what I actually damaged this time, but I'be been a bit stiff and sore all week. I was diagnosed with degeneration disc disease (old age a bit early) about 6 or 7 years ago, but have done pretty well since.

Getting up this AM I felt a light spasm, but that went away and I drove the 11/2 hours to work. It just got stiffer as the day went on.

I took some junk in the cabinet, Baclofen and Hydrocodone/Apap then drank a couple beers watching a movie, lol. Liz said I was slurring as she helped me to bed. An ice pack felt damn nice until it all went numb.

Woke up around 1:30 and really sore now. This just won't do, I have men's league Thurs night and need to beat last weeks 39.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I found a chiropractor that would take me today, around 1986 was the last time I've been to one. Nothing broken, he took exrays and said I locked up a lower disc and then sprained it trying to get it unlocked swinging a club rather than relaxing it and giving it time to heal. Nice guy, but the dude needs to work out a little less, lol. Put these electrodes on me and had my back jumping all over the place, then took those off and started pounding on me from different positions. Walked out feeling worst than I went in, but he said it could take a couple weeks to fully relax its grip??? Seems awful long to me, but he said my back was so knotted up at this point he could bounce a quarter off it.

Not real sure about him yet, I'm not sure about any chiropractor, but any relief will be welcome. I was surprised when he said he can't prescribe a muscle relaxer. He told me I needed some and to just take what I had at home.

Careful with the alcohol, baclofen, and vicodin. They don't play very well together, especially the tylenol in the vicodin.

No idea what I actually damaged this time, but I'be been a bit stiff and sore all week. I was diagnosed with degeneration disc disease (old age a bit early) about 6 or 7 years ago, but have done pretty well since.

Getting up this AM I felt a light spasm, but that went away and I drove the 11/2 hours to work. It just got stiffer as the day went on.

I took some junk in the cabinet, Baclofen and Hydrocodone/Apap then drank a couple beers watching a movie, lol. Liz said I was slurring as she helped me to bed. An ice pack felt damn nice until it all went numb.

Woke up around 1:30 and really sore now. This just won't do, I have men's league Thurs night and need to beat last weeks 39.

Tap,Tap,Tap

My wife and I both have back problems. (car accident for her and the Army for me) It has been the worst for us first thing when we wake up in the morning so we both decided to do something about it! Excercise and stretching regiments have been implemented, but the biggest thing we did was go get "fit", yes that's right fit, for a custom orthopedic latex mattress. It took three weeks to be built here in the good ol' US of A and the seperate sides of the mattress are built a little differently for our specific back during sleep. They even embroidered our names on "our side" of the mattress! It was just delivered today and tonight will be our first night of sleep on this beauty. I can't wait.

Added bonus: I'll hear no complaints from her when I tell her to get back on her side of the bed. It's for your own good after all honey.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Mine is hurting today after golfing yesterday. I've iced it and did some stretching. Actually, being outside mowing in the heat made it feel better than anything.

Usually the pain is on the left side, this time it is one the right side. Same spot, just the other side.

My back has been 100x better since Ive started doing a few of the stretches in this thread. It still gets a little sore after a round but its no where near as bad. But now that I have a stitched up thumb its going to get a few weeks off anyway.

Improved core strength and more flexible hamstrings do a back a lot of good

My back has been 100x better since Ive started doing a few of the stretches in this thread. It still gets a little sore after a round but its no where near as bad. But now that I have a stitched up thumb its going to get a few weeks off anyway.

I've been doing this one too (the one you posted the link to). Here it is again, as it has been buried in this thread. I got the YouTube link for it.

[video=youtube;slpcb8m-Jnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slpcb8m-Jnw[/video]

My back is bothering me a little today, and really hasn't been right since the outing. Leaving work in 10 minutes to go see Chiropractor. Luckily, I have known him for 20 years, and he does not charge me my co-pay.

I've been doing this one too (the one you posted the link to). Here it is again, as it has been buried in this thread. I got the YouTube link for it.[video=youtube;slpcb8m-Jnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slpcb8m-Jnw[/video]

This one has done wonders for my back and its so stinkin simple too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back