The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
really not happy right now. Got the Iphone 3gs a few years ago, was given a HTC Hero for my old job and made me dearly miss my Iphone(liked having my phone paid for, just hated the phone). Quit that job and had to go back to paying for my own phone so I went back to the Iphone and have had it until last week. Just started with a new company and was given a blackberry curve. Now I'm forced to use it and my wife is taking my Iphone 3GS to replace her 3g. Loving the cell phone bill going down, just hate losing the Iphone. It's so easy to work and this BB isn't!!

Just started with a new company and was given a blackberry curve.

Sorry for your loss.

I used to have the BrickBerry Curve up until 2 months ago. Dont' get me wrong, it's a great "entry-level" smartphone, but after switching to the iPhone I don't think I can see myself going back to it.

I saw that and got a laugh this morning. In the tech world its like complete hypocrisy every day. Remember the Nokia thing with them? I mean they basically admitted, "yeah we ripped them off, but it was cheaper than paying the patent fees".

Its getting quite comical. I expect at the least once a week to see who Apple is suing next on BGR or some other tech site. Heres something you will probably get a laugh about. So I jailbreak my iPhone and load some stuff to tweak it. What does my lock screen look like now? An HTC phone with the big clock and weather. LOL

Just updated to the Iphone 4 today from my OG Droid, my Droid was rooted and i was running custom roms and themes but im scared to try and jailbreak the iphone, i have no clue how this phone works as this is the first one i have ever had.

Just updated to the Iphone 4 today from my OG Droid, my Droid was rooted and i was running custom roms and themes but im scared to try and jailbreak the iphone, i have no clue how this phone works as this is the first one i have ever had.

jailbreakme.com is the easiest way to do it. I did it for the first time last week. Takes some figuring out after you do it but Im enjoying the new themes and apps. its really very painless.

jailbreakme.com is the easiest way to do it. I did it for the first time last week. Takes some figuring out after you do it but Im enjoying the new themes and apps. its really very painless.

Just in time for that 4" one right? hehe

Very easy to do, it does take some time to get used to and figure out what you want to do with it. Its pretty cool...

cool thanks, i will check that out, i have been using the OG Droid for the last 2 years so this is gonna take some getting use to

Just in time for that 4" one right? hehe

This has to hold me over until I get at least 4".... haha

after JB,

make sure you do the PDF patch! (it blocks the security hole that was used to do the JB, ironic that apple doenst have the patch out, but the hackers made one for jailbroken phones.

add the following repos! Go in Cydia, sources, manage, edit, add.....

http://cydia.hackulo.us

and
http://sinfuliphonerepo.com

Install Installous and voila, a whole world of free apps and themes!

ok guys im wanting to jailbreak now im tired of not being able to change my email ringtone ect, also want some themes, im running 4.2.9 is there a jailbreak out for that yet

I need a hard case that can fit over a Zagg invisishield. Any ideas?
I'm sick of my rubber case melting and destroying my current Zagg!

I need a hard case that can fit over a Zagg invisishield. Any ideas?
I'm sick of my rubber case melting and destroying my current Zagg!

I have a Belkin clear hard case on my iphone and I have the invisible shield on all sides of my phone. It fits fine and is very nice.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20535&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32318&mapcode=corporate

Seriously AT&T? WTF?!? Lets rewind 4-5 years ago when you and you alone had the hottest phone out there (It was, so get over it droid fanboys). We had to put up with your crappy network, your inability to handle MMS right out the gate. In fact the only reason I stuck with you guys was because I was grandfathered in with your unlimited data plan. Now I find out your Unlimited Data Plan has been changed to an "Unlimited" Data Plan? That sucks man. Plus my friend is sitting right next to me with his Virgin Mobile phone, he's paying roughly $30 bucks for the exact same plan/setup I'm paying 75$ (minus the cool phone of course).

For those who read the article from AT&T I know your first response is gonna be "but Snap, this only effect the top 5% data users".
I got news for you guys: THATS ME!!!! I have received two letters in the last year from AT&T with requests to "re-evaluate" my data plan. I've politely told them that I'm fine with the unlimited data plan they were stupid enough to agree to 5 years ago. haha. Anyways, I knew this was coming, data streaming is going to get so big in the next 10 years.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20535&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32318&mapcode=corporate

Seriously AT&T? WTF?!? Lets rewind 4-5 years ago when you and you alone had the hottest phone out there (It was, so get over it droid fanboys). We had to put up with your crappy network, your inability to handle MMS right out the gate. In fact the only reason I stuck with you guys was because I was grandfathered in with your unlimited data plan. Now I find out your Unlimited Data Plan has been changed to an "Unlimited" Data Plan? That sucks man. Plus my friend is sitting right next to me with his Virgin Mobile phone, he's paying roughly $30 bucks for the exact same plan/setup I'm paying 75$ (minus the cool phone of course).

For those who read the article from AT&T I know your first response is gonna be "but Snap, this only effect the top 5% data users".
I got news for you guys: THATS ME!!!! I have received two letters in the last year from AT&T with requests to "re-evaluate" my data plan. I've politely told them that I'm fine with the unlimited data plan they were stupid enough to agree to 5 years ago. haha. Anyways, I knew this was coming, data streaming is going to get so big in the next 10 years.

Unfortunately this one was coming for a while and every single carrier will head this way. Sprint I believe is really the last to not have tiers.

How much data, on average, does the "top 5%" use per month?

How much data, on average, does the "top 5%" use per month?

from what i've read it's supposed to be adjusted from one billing cycle to the next.. and only reference they made to a hard number was.. that high users used about 12x average..

using 2010 data:
A February 2010 study by market researcher Rysavy Research showed that the average smartphone user uses around 0.3GB per year (25.6MB per month) in 2010. In six years that figure is expected to reach 6.7GB per year (570MB per month).

Consumer polls on technology blogs such as Phonedog.com and DailyTech.com show slightly higher data usage figures. 33 percent of the 2,700 DailyTech readers polled used less than 200MB, 20 percent used between 200MB to 500MB, 12 percent used between 500MB and 1GB of data, 8 percent used between 1GB and 2GB, whilst 26 percent of smartphone users polled used more than 2GB of data per month.

9.1 percent of the 1,044 PhoneDog.com readers polled used less than 50MB, 5.5 percent used less than 100MB, 8.1 percent used less than 200MB, 10.7 percent used less than 500MB, 14.3 percent used less than 1GB, 12.7 percent used less than 2GB, 15.3 percent used less than 5GB and 24.2 percent used in excess of 5GB.

looks like someone has to consistently over 60 GB depending on which data point you want to calculate off of.

disclaimer: just a quick google calculation... and guesstimate....

Unfortunately this one was coming for a while and every single carrier will head this way. Sprint I believe is really the last to not have tiers.

It probably won't be long before they start doing the same thing for those of us on DSL and/or Uverse.

Question is..will anyone be buying the Iphone that's coming out in september(if it does) because even if it does come out couldn't their be a phone coming out next june? So why buy an iPhone4s rather than an iPhone5 the next year.

Just wish we would get confirmation from apple.

Question is..will anyone be buying the Iphone that's coming out in september(if it does) because even if it does come out couldn't their be a phone coming out next june? So why buy an iPhone4s rather than an iPhone5 the next year.

Just wish we would get confirmation from apple.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. From all the rumors the new phone (for me) won't have much more than the 4 so I'm really waiting for the new one so I can get a couple of bucks off the old one.

Also, they haven't even decided on a name yet. It could be a 5 or a 4s.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. From all the rumors the new phone (for me) won't have much more than the 4 so I'm really waiting for the new one so I can get a couple of bucks off the old one.

Also, they haven't even decided on a name yet. It could be a 5 or a 4s.

In my opinion. They are still showing ads for iPhone4. This is the longest I have seen Apple run ads for their one phone. I think a 4s is on it's way with iPhone5 having a new design and coming out later.

from what i've read it's supposed to be adjusted from one billing cycle to the next.. and only reference they made to a hard number was.. that high users used about 12x average..

using 2010 data:
A February 2010 study by market researcher Rysavy Research showed that the average smartphone user uses around 0.3GB per year (25.6MB per month) in 2010. In six years that figure is expected to reach 6.7GB per year (570MB per month).

Consumer polls on technology blogs such as Phonedog.com and DailyTech.com show slightly higher data usage figures. 33 percent of the 2,700 DailyTech readers polled used less than 200MB, 20 percent used between 200MB to 500MB, 12 percent used between 500MB and 1GB of data, 8 percent used between 1GB and 2GB, whilst 26 percent of smartphone users polled used more than 2GB of data per month.

9.1 percent of the 1,044 PhoneDog.com readers polled used less than 50MB, 5.5 percent used less than 100MB, 8.1 percent used less than 200MB, 10.7 percent used less than 500MB, 14.3 percent used less than 1GB, 12.7 percent used less than 2GB, 15.3 percent used less than 5GB and 24.2 percent used in excess of 5GB.

looks like someone has to consistently over 60 GB depending on which data point you want to calculate off of.

disclaimer: just a quick google calculation... and guesstimate....

I dont' feel quite so bad now. 2 days to go in the billing cycle and I'm at 28GB. I did spend 4 days in mexico this month though and I kept my phone off because I wasn't sure about roaming charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back