The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its sad really. That a company that was nothing short of miraculous over the last decade in terms of hardware and OS innovation has become nothing short of the hamburgler in terms of the last 3 years when it comes to the mobile market.

Do we not remember cut and paste? El Jobso said that was not needed on the IPhone
Do we not remember MMS? El Jobso said nobody wanted to send picture messages without email
How about lack of video? Nobody wanted video on their cell phones Jeebus proclaimed

And here we are again with 2 major revisions to the OS being things that have been out for years. Oooohhhhh and a shiny new built in twitter application. Hey Jobsi? HTC did this 2 years ago with Peep.

but it will have taken him 2 years to be able to reverse engineer the code - lol

Bold Prediction Time
The next update (2013) will have integrated voice to text and have the creepy hands guy in the commercials talking and it appearing as text perfectly. Fans will wait outside for hours for the ability to have this incredible new service....

That has been out on other devices for 4 years.

I'm one of the weird ones!

I have an iPhone 4, and my wife has an HTC Wildfire running Android.

I love my phone - I use it all the time for work when not in the office along with my iPad. In fact my iPad has transformed part of my business! One of the apps I use and is a deal breaker for me is the TomTom gps app. I may be wrong but I've not been able to find an equivalent android app. Which is a shame as I LOVE Google. I use google apps for the business as well.

Last week I had to upgrade the wife's phone - now she only really uses it for calling (shock horror- phoning on a phone!), Facebook and a couple of other sites. She also gets her gmail sent to it. So I had a look at a few devices and this was the best value and included features she needed.

I'd really like the samsung galaxy s 2, or the nexus s, or maybe the latest HTC, but I just worry that they won't be as easy to use as my iPhone and I'd lose the gps as well.

The great thing is that we have choice. Don't like apple? Don't buy their stuff! Same with google - android too fragmented? Don't buy an android handset. Simple really :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bold Prediction Time
The next update (2013) will have integrated voice to text and have the creepy hands guy in the commercials talking and it appearing as text perfectly. Fans will wait outside for hours for the ability to have this incredible new service....

That has been out on other devices for 4 years.

I think I learned more about my Iphone and the lack of technology in this thread than anything I have read. I've been on board with apple since the iPhone came out and really have not bothered to read up on any other phones. After reading this thread over the last two days I'm not sure I will be getting the new iPhone. I'm seriously going to research the android and other phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I learned more about my Iphone and the lack of technology in this thread than anything I have read. I've been on board with apple since the iPhone came out and really have not bothered to read up on any other phones. After reading this thread over the last two days I'm not sure I will be getting the new iPhone. I'm seriously going to research the android and other phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tadashi, if you like your IPhone, dont switch. Its a great machine that looks nice and has a very stable and good OS. I am a long time Mac user and love my computer. I am just sick of hearing about the "innovation" that Steve Jobs is doing all the while suing anybody around them that makes a touch screen. His entire portfolio of innovation the last 5 years has been someone elses innovation. If you make a checklist of all the innovative feature that have hit IPhone since its first device, you would more than likely find it somewhere else first.

And if he doesnt call it his own, he'll call it consumer demand. Other companies need to find lawyers to protect themselves from Apple and the Consumer demand scenario.
Tadashi, if you like your IPhone, dont switch. Its a great machine that looks nice and has a very stable and good OS. I am a long time Mac user and love my computer. I am just sick of hearing about the "innovation" that Steve Jobs is doing all the while suing anybody around them that makes a touch screen. His entire portfolio of innovation the last 5 years has been someone elses innovation. If you make a checklist of all the innovative feature that have hit IPhone since its first device, you would more than likely find it somewhere else first.

I love it. Two of the biggest features coming to the new OS are

Notification Bar
IMessenger

Now that is incredible innovation.
By Google and Blackberry that is.

Notification Bar has been on Android since day 1 and El Jobso said it wasnt necessary.
And IMessenger is simply a rebranded version of Blackberry Messenger. A ripoff if you will to work with Apple devices.

For a company that drops the legal hammers on every company out there, this is another wonderful example of their incredible theft....ERRRR I mean innovation they bring us. I cannot wait for the fans to get the new OS and tell the world how wonderful these features are...Most not realizing that they could have had these features for years.

Coming from a Moto Droid to Iphone in February I certainly can welcome back the notification bar. I hate the notification system the Iphone has now and can't wait for iOS5, my girlfriend really wants an iPhone but is worried with the fall release of the OS that a new iPhone will be out then, she just really hates the wait. But not once has she thought about getting an android phone on VZW even after I had mine for over a year.

The biggest problem with BBM now is that it was the only feature keeping a lot of BB's customers (at least in my age group). iMessage definitely isn't an original idea, but it'll probably transfer even more people to iPhones just because of the sheer amount of people who have them. I can't really comment on the notification thing since I haven't had much hands-on time with android devices.

The thing is, if you wanted BBM you needed a Blackberry. If you wanted a notification bar you needed a droid. iPhones were already the most complete package for a lot of consumers (myself included), without ripping off this stuff. Now it's even better, even though it got this way by stealing ideas. It's a shame, really.

Wasn't the original iPhone the first of it's kind... and since then it's seems every new phone is dubbed "better than the iphone" yet they always fall short.

i love when iPhone steals technology from other phones...

....because everyone else had a touch screen before the iPhone.

everyone.

everyone.

No one said they were the original.

Whenever a MAC magazine writer starts spouting off about innovating, I always felt they were referring to the whole package. Not the individual pieces of hardware and software. Every Apple product is a complete package for what the average consumer wants.

You want something geared to something more specific, then shop around, I"m sure one of the 20+ Android phones out there will fit the need.

Frankly, I think Android owners have such a rabid hatrage towards Iphones is because sooner or later someone is going to walk up to them and say "Nice phone, is that an Iphone?"

Coming from a Moto Droid to Iphone in February I certainly can welcome back the notification bar. I hate the notification system the Iphone has now and can't wait for iOS5, my girlfriend really wants an iPhone but is worried with the fall release of the OS that a new iPhone will be out then, she just really hates the wait. But not once has she thought about getting an android phone on VZW even after I had mine for over a year.
If she doesn't want to wait there are a few places who have slashed prices on iPhone 4s, Walmart and Sam's Club I know of off the top of my head.

snaphook....I'm an iPhone owner from the very beginning.

I can't imagine myself ever changing.

me too. sorry.
Quoting you accidently changed the tone of what I was trying to say. sorry.

BTW.
NBA JAM is only $ .99 cents on the Itunes store. Its got local Bluetooth Multiplayer on it too. Me and a bud played each other last night in the movie theater (before the trailers and stuff of course). There was a bunch of kids in the row behind us watching over our shoulders. Shouting "BOOM SHAKA LAKA, IN YOUR FACE" and high fiving a bunch of high school kids will NEVER get old. (I don't mean that in any way creepy)
:D

BTW.
NBA JAM is only $ .99 cents on the Itunes store. Its got local Bluetooth Multiplayer on it too. Me and a bud played each other last night in the movie theater (before the trailers and stuff of course). There was a bunch of kids in the row behind us watching over our shoulders. Shouting "BOOM SHAKA LAKA, IN YOUR FACE" and high fiving a bunch of high school kids will NEVER get old. (I don't mean that in any way creepy)
:D

I love that game. And it's even better on the iPad.

I love that game. And it's even better on the iPad.

The Controls are fantastic for being a touch screen interface. I like how it registers your thumb sliding from run to shoot to register a running dunk/layup. If you released run and then pressed Shoot you get a standing jump shot. Its intuitive and much better then you'ld expect for $1 doller (or even the original $5 that it started at)

I innovated myself to finally upgrade to iOS 4.something. Later today.

haha I still haven't upgraded either. I'm too lazy to re-jailbreak.

The Controls are fantastic for being a touch screen interface. I like how it registers your thumb sliding from run to shoot to register a running dunk/layup. If you released run and then pressed Shoot you get a standing jump shot. Its intuitive and much better then you'ld expect for $1 doller (or even the original $5 that it started at)

I agree. One of the best games going right now. I even paid the $5 for it.

everyone.

Actually the IPhone was not the original touch screen. They were the first with the mass marketing, but they were not the 1st.

how long did that take you, 3 hours? Seems like that's what 4.3.3 took me recently ugh

Actually the IPhone was not the original touch screen. They were the first with the mass marketing, but they were not the 1st.

There were lots of touch screens before the iPhone, they were just resistive instead of capacitive. Or was it the other way around? Something like that

Got curious, here is what most consider the first touch screen phone, the IBM Simon:

450px-IBM_SImon_in_charging_station.png

Last edited:
There were lots of touch screens before the iPhone, they were just resistive instead of capacitive. Or was it the other way around? Something like that

Correct. Apple (Im a Mac fan) is wonderful at coming up with incredible devices and succeeded with the IPhone. They have however not been great at coming out with incredible updates to their devices each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back