The best shot of the round

A rare round where I had a number of good shots, but landing a 4i onto a green was the highlight. 215 yards to set up a 2 putt par made me very happy!

I played a fun match with some friends and was 1 up going into the last hole (a par 3) and stuck the shot to 6 feet to close them out

Played Royal Manchester today and had a ball. It's got length and lots of holes that require precise and long tee shots of every kind. Tee shots with long carries. Tee shots that require shaping the shot right or left around a dogleg, between two bunkers, or in between gullies and/or wastelands. I negotiated all of them throughout the round. So, BSOTR has to be one of them.

BSOTR was on a 550-yard par 5 that goes up over a significant hill that crests about 240 yards out. 20 yards before the crest there is a canyon that juts out from the left. As planned I hit a high, but piercing left-to-right draw (I'm lefthanded) that started over the canyon, landed 10 yards beyond the canyon, up and over the hill and ran 40 yards down the other side finishing in the middle of the fairway with 175 yards left to reach the flag.

Last edited:
The weather got unseasonably warm today, so I got in a round of golf. BSOTR was a recovery shot. A slower group let us go through and I rushed my transition on the tee shot. Ball-go-far-left. The lie was in the rough but decent. But the ball was below my feet and uphill. I found an opening between two trees. Pulled my fairway metal, set up for a fade, and nailed it: between the trees and fading left into the fairway, settled in 60 yards in front of the green.

Hit a really good wedge shot to a foot for my first birdie of the day

Sloppy conditions when the rain and wind started. A lovely 45° out, too. My best shot was a recovery from the wrong fairway with a 6 iron onto the green. Missed the putt but grabbed a par after a horrid slice.

With my game, the term "shot making" can rarely be used. But now and then I try something outside of my comfort zone and it'll work out.

Hole 6 is a dog leg left, short par 4. I normally use a 6i off the tee to clear the corner knowing it won't carry to the bunkers beyond the fairway. But today, there was a stiff wind quartering at me and from the left. I wouldn't have reached the point needed to have a shot at the green with the 6i and a 5h would have likely launched too high as well.

A knockdown shot is not something I work on, but my 3h often has a low trajectory anyway and figured all I have to do is shorten the swing, make decent good contact it will stay lower with decent roll-out. There was the risk of it rolling to the bunkers, but I felt I could pull it off.

The swing worked out well leaving an approach to the green. Still, with a tree guarding left of the green and a bunker to the right, I had to play another shot I'm not terribly comfortable with - a draw.

I lined up the 8i at the bunker on the right for the 120 yard shot to the elevated green, hit the shot as planned and sure enough, between the draw spin and the wind, the ball came back landing close enough to the pin for me to make a birdie putt.

CaberfaeHole6_birdie.JPG

I called my shot three times today and all three times I did exactly what I was going to say.

That feels really good to get some of that control back. Something I’ve spent most of the year chasing.

During my weekend tournament, I'd say hitting my 48* from 115 and hitting the pin was the highlight. Good times!

Been struggling with the swing adjustments after an initial easy integration...hit a couple of nice approaches but the best was a 7i from 159 that ended up 15ish ft left of the pin. Tie for the best may have been a tee shot that cut over the trees and ended up just off the green... Chipped and putt for a 🐤

Playing the #1 handicap hole about 215 with a little helping breeze. Perfect 4H to 10’3”. Earned me a CTP in our Monday game and made the putt for a net and gross skin.

197 yard par 3, hit 5i, landed 4 feet short and hit the pin, ended up 4 feet. Made the bird.

f**k that was close close.

197 yard par 3, hit 5i, landed 4 feet short and hit the pin, ended up 4 feet. Made the bird.

f**k that was close close.
That's a beefy 5i, dude. Nice shot.

I have found some more distance since last we played hahaha, and I can hit draws now 🤣🤣🤣
1. Interesting enough, I do too. A few years off may have helped some things.
2. What's a draw?

1. Interesting enough, I do too. A few years off may have helped some things.
2. What's a draw?
Opposite of a beags cut hahahahaha

Opposite of a beags cut hahahahaha
The beags cut is still there. I do find my irons have a little bit of draw to them from time to time, but it's not because I am trying to do it.

The beags cut is still there. I do find my irons have a little bit of draw to them from time to time, but it's not because I am trying to do it.
Age going and making so we hit golf shots and ****. Wild. 🤣

Wasn't the best result, but I was very happy with the execution.

Hit a 5 iron 195 from one bunker to another. Perfect contact. A little left and I would have had a chance to run it on for an eagle putt.

30 ft putt from the fringe on the 3rd hole! Too bad I knocked my approach into the woods and had to take an unplayable lie. Then duffed that shot as well.
It is pretty amazing that I didn't lose the ball on that hole, or any other hole today!

I'm learning how to take better approach shots that leave me with putts I can make. Some of the greens have nasty slopes that put a premium on shot making.

2nd shot from the middle of the fairway stopped on the 2nd green for a Green in Regulation! Two good swings with my 22* four iron!

Irons were good all day so I had little difficulty finding my ball despite all the leaves on the course today.
Course was cold and windy at the start but the winds died down. 39 to 41 degrees.

Last edited:

It's pretty self explanatory. There may have been some cursing after.

A putt was my best shot today. It was to setup a 2 putt bogey 4 but I really messed up the first two shots. 70-72 ft. from the hole. About 6ft. of fringe was in the way of the line I wanted to take. The ball rolled pure at the pace I wanted and looked good the whole way. It was such a ridiculous looking shot that looked good the entire time.

Image.jpeg

Hit a great drive followed by an approach right over the flag to close out a match with some friends

Back