The best shot of the round

Took free relief from water in the greenside bunker as my approach shot from fairway was a couple yards short, though right in line with the pin.
As it was close to the pin, I picked a spot on the far left of the bunker that was further from the hole, as I didn't want to walk on the muddy sand more than necessary.
Used my 58/6 to pick the ball off the muddy sand for a 20 yard lob shot that ended up 7ft past the hole. 2 putt for bogey.

I hit a handful of shots closer to the hole, but my BSOTR today has to go to my approach shot where I trusted what I was seeing and committed to the shot. It was a scramble, 146 to the pin. Ball in the rough with a moderate helping wind. First golfer fats it and it rolls up 5 yards short of the green. Third golfer hits a nice shot that just keeps rolling 10 yards past the pin, off the green.

I struggle with PW in conditions that would bump its distance to 150. It’s a mental block, a voice in my head that tells me “you don’t hit 150 yard wedge shots, you’re not DJ”. Today, I quieted the voice. The reduced spin and helping wind added the total distance I expected and we had a birdie putt.

It’s a silly thing to get hung up on but I have weird hang ups. Being able to get over that mental block was huge for me. Trust and commit.

Played one of the best courses in this region today--Iron Valley. Every hole is difficult but fair with a unique set of challenges. The BSOTR exemplified this. It came on a par 3 that is 170 yards straight up a mountain, so it plays more like 195-200 yards. Just before the green, there is a huge mound that has a steep climb UP 50-60 feet with a very rugged retaining wall that hides the left side of the green. At the top of this mound are 3 fully grown trees set back maybe 15 feet left of the rock retaining wall. The pin was only 10 feet from the left edge of the green.

To get anywhere close to the pin required a high shot over the edge of that mound, which is really high because it is 50-60 feet above an already incredible elevation change going up the mountain

I play lefthanded. So, I set up to hit a slightly feathered high fade with my 4-hybrid, teed up the ball slightly higher than usual, and with slightly more spine tilt. The ball launched over the edge of the rugged rock retaining wall and right of the trees and landed on the green softly settling 9-10 feet left of the flag.

Second shot into first part five of the day, 3 wood from around 200 in the fairway dead into a 15-20 mph wind. Absolutely striped it dead solid perfect, baby draw started just right of flag with a baby draw that was all over it the whole way. We thought it might go in. Got to the green and it missed my first ever albatross by an inch. Aaaaaaahhhh!

IMG_3629.jpeg

Par 5, 7th hole. The temps were dropping and the wind was blowing pretty good. After catching my 7i layup a little heavy out of the Bermuda rough I had about 167 to the flag for my barely downhill third shot. 194 back number, I guessed the wind was gonna be about 2 clubs and turn my draw into a fade.

Pulled my 190 club and aimed about 5ft. left of the flag on the right side of the green. I caught the 5i pure and it started off as a piercing draw. The wind held it up a bit and then started pushing it back towards the flag. The ball landed about 9 ft. long and about 4” left of the pin, leaving me a 13 footer for birdie. Walked away with a tap in par. But that shot was an absolute beaut.

(Friday) probably my drive on 18. Not huge at about 250 but it had to be very straight to clear the 12 ft drop off on the left side of the fairway, and stay left of the tree on the right side of the fairway. I hit it into the perfect position which left me a flat lie and about 105 yards to the left pin position. I put a gap wedge to about 10’feet and made the putt. But it was all set up by the drive.

Full swing with my 60* lob wedge out of the rough lands five feet from the hole and stops just one foot away from the hole.

On the last hole my lob shot from the rough hits the pin and bounces off the green into the rough. First time this season I've hit the pin.

My 60 is a Callaway Mac Daddy 60/12 CB with a 45g LA Golf Series A that matches my irons.

Tuesday league I played without my partner, who got tickets to the Philly's playoff game. 2-person best ball is the format. Our 'team' had the low round for the night at 1-under par. BSOTR came after a popped-up drive on a par 4. This left a 200-yard approach steeply uphill. Hit a laser that rolled onto the green and settled in 4 feet left of the cup.

Today I played Dauphin Highlands for the first time. On the 10th hole, a par 4, I hit my approach shot into the front greenside bunker leaving about a 90-foot bunker shot to the back pin from a REALLY deep bunker. I hit a high spinner from the sand that flew, dropped, and stopped 2 feet from the cup.

Last edited:
Two approaches today within two feet of the pin.

I thought the best shot last round was a SW from 102 that smacked the pin and ricocheted back but the best shot came later. I was in a fairway bunker 70 yards from the pin which was tucked right behind a greenside bunker. I took a half swing with my 58 degree jaws raw wedge and saw it cleared the bunker but couldn't see the bottom of the flag. I got up to the green to see it was a kick in for birdie.
20231023_175713.jpg20231023_175638.jpg

I was shaping shots off the tee with pinpoint control tonight, so we'll go with the tee shot on the 9th hole as the BSOTR. This hole has a sweeping dogleg left. Instead of a sharp dogleg, there is about a 60-yard-long sweeping turn to the left. Trees just off the fairway on both sides. I struck a high fade (I play lefthanded) that started at the center of the fairway and just followed it around that sweeping left turn leaving me 55 yards to the flag from the center of the fairway.

Ball goes into a deep bunker on the first hole. It has been very wet and rainy, so there is no sand under the ball. Pull out my 58/6 low bounce wedge and pick it off the mud.
Lands ten feet from the pin. Two putt for a bogey save.

I've seen someone do a grenade toss out of that bunker. :LOL:

IMG_3774.jpg

Bad, toe hook tee shot and heavy dew on the ground left me behind a big oak tree at the corner of this dog leg. Water and bunker short right. Back right pin. Tree too tall to play to middle. Hit a high baby draw 6 iron exactly where needed. Just off right side of green but easy putt from the fringe and tap in par.

I’m gonna say for me a blind shot on #1 to 6 ft from 30 ft below the green and putting a birdie to start match play Saturday

For @4hourrule I’m saying a pitch from the deep rough to 7-8 ft and par ing? (Not sure the hole. 4 I think?)

4i recovery shot from the rough from 205 out for my third on a par 5. Found the green, 2 putt par to win the hole and tie the front in my match. After two poor shots I thought I was out of the hole but the 4i saved me.

1698674840815.png

I’m gonna say for me a blind shot on #1 to 6 ft from 30 ft below the green and putting a birdie to start match play Saturday

For @4hourrule I’m saying a pitch from the deep rough to 7-8 ft and par ing? (Not sure the hole. 4 I think?)
Yea, that was a Oh Sh** moment for me when Birdie 1st Hole.
I didn't hit many good but one I can think of is back 9 209-219? Par 3. 1st Swing hooked into Trees and 2nd high and 6ft from PIN, Putt to tie...I miss.

I debated with myself about this one. On one hand, I had only 27 putts on the round. One-putted nine holes. OTOH the approach shots made that outcome possible. I decided to go with an approach shot. On the 7th hole, the first par 5 and a long one, I crushed my tee shot and second shot leaving 65 yards to a severely elevated green. The sun was brutal on this hole, so when I struck my 56-degree wedge I never saw it. It felt good though and I knew it went high and in the direction I intended. Very cool to drive up to the green and see the ball 5 feet under the hole for an easy birdie putt.

Hit a shot over the flag on a par 3 that spun back to 7 feet and I made the putt

Yesterday, I was struggling some throughout the round and needed par on #18 to break 80. Hit a nice drive into the wind, only had 142 left to a front pin. Thought I hit the approach well, but it came up a good 5 yards short of the green. Needed to get up & down for par, had about 30' to the hole.

Chipped-in for bird and a 78.

My best shot of the round today, was my best shot of the year. A hole out from 66 yards, for eagle on a par 4.

IMG_6089.png

Nice little 3 putt 5. That drive was tattooed. I haven’t hit many drives this distance. I believe this makes 2 that were not aided by cart path.
IMG_0552.jpeg

First birdie of November yesterday. Hit a sawed off gap wedge from 121 out to 6 inches. One of the best shots of the year!

Back