The 60 and over Thread

The thing that's killing my game is the second and third shots on par 4's and par 5's. Driver is usually 190 and in the short grass and I struggle until I get close to the green. I have had to change my swing, due to bad back. I think I have finally found a club I can hit in the fairway, I got a 4 hybrid from Diamond tour golf, and it seems to be working for me. I hit it for the second time last week and it went straight and about 160. I had a different shaft put in it compared to the other hybrids I bought there, made for hybrids.
Diamond Tour Golf was my go to source for good clubs. They're clones but I always thought the quality was pretty good. I bought a set of single length irons from them a few years ago. Graphite shafts. 7 iron length. I went away from them when I got a set of steel shaft Adams irons. Someone convinced me the graphites were too light for my swing speed. Then went to more lofted fairway woods. Now I'm starting to go back to irons. The Diamond Tour Irons. I guess I've come full circle.

I am hitting the ball really well right now. But 3 weeks ago I was in a rough slump. Maybe it was me, or maybe it was the wet, cold weather. Either way, I am going to try to ride this wave for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am hitting the ball really well right now. But 3 weeks ago I was in a rough slump. Maybe it was me, or maybe it was the wet, cold weather. Either way, I am going to try to ride this wave for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm on the same wave. Fun.
I stopped at the range today. Wind steady upper teens gusting to the upper 20's. At the end I was hitting little stinger 3 Hybrids right into the teeth of it, getting no more that 30-35' in the air, I was hitting most of them right into the 8' high 200 yard fence (range goes to 275 before the real fence) with Callaway reduced flight range balls.. I turn off the tee and there was a teaching pro buddy of mine who gives lessons there as well as other places. He was watching me.
He said "Damn Paul, are you ever going to act your age?"
All I could say is "I hope not".

Last edited:
Holy sh*t! It’s going to be May 1 on Thursday and you’re still getting snow?

Hey, it's Canada! The, you know...

The right cubs can make a huge difference. A guy from work who always hovered around 100 is now regularly breaking 90 just by changing his irons to Cleveland Zipcore XLs. They are that easy to hit..

Diamond Tour Golf was my go to source for good clubs. They're clones but I always thought the quality was pretty good. I bought a set of single length irons from them a few years ago. Graphite shafts. 7 iron length. I went away from them when I got a set of steel shaft Adams irons. Someone convinced me the graphites were too light for my swing speed. Then went to more lofted fairway woods. Now I'm starting to go back to irons. The Diamond Tour Irons. I guess I've come full circle.

A few years back my main golf buddy showed up with a new set of Wilson Staff irons in his bag with graphite shafts. He said he found them at the local golf shop on sale, tried them, liked them, and bought them. He hit the living dog snot out of those irons. Better distance and accuracy than he was getting out of his old Callaways. A couple of rounds later, I see the old Callaways back in his bag and ask him why. He told me that he "couldn't feel the clubhead with the Wilsons!"

I told him that feel is not real, and who cares anyway? Go with the results! He couldn't hit an iron worth a crap that day, and the next time we went out he had the Wilsons back in the bag. And he's been hitting them great ever since. Makes my iron game look really shabby!

Just what the doctor ordered.

After we had dinner, cleaned up and my better half had gone to bed, I decided to work on my game. The chipping and pitching practice area in the yard is currently overrun by morel mushrooms so I'm trying to stay out of there. And besides, that part of my game has held up ok in 2024. So, I decided to once again work on my piss-poor iron game - only this time, do the exact opposite of what seems logical.

Instead of grabbing one of my graphite shafted SGI gamers, I instead picked up the first club I'd ever built... a 6i Maltby MMB-17 blade on a Nippon N.S.Pro 8950 steel shaft. And since I was so intent on wreaking havoc on my arthritic knuckles and joints, why not go all the way and bring the 1983 Hogan Radial 5i along just to make things really interesting.

I then headed out to the field to figure out what the hell has been going on with my iron swing. The sun had just started to set but I still had plenty of light to find and hit a few dozen golf balls. The first few shots with the Hogan were weak, thin pushes but at least they weren't shanks. In fact, they were actually hitting center of face, just low. I straightened the shots out and then started flushing shots, one after the other. If you've never hit a Radial, even the long irons produce a nice high ball flight when struck right. I then went out to collect the balls and hit them back.

I had found that mythical groove. The shots were a mix of usable, slightly off-center shots and a couple mishits, but mostly those wonderful, flushed shots that would fly high and draw slightly to my target area. Damn... that was a feeling I hadn't experienced a lot of during the last couple rounds and practices. I then tempted fate by hitting a few with the Maltby 6 iron - a club I don't normally hit that well - only to experience those same flushed shots right at the target.

There wasn't a soul out there, no distractions or negative thoughts, a light breeze and relatively warm temps. For some reason, I felt more aware of what my arms were doing in the backswing, my hip turn, and in getting my weight to shift forward just a little on the downswing. While it was only a few dozen shots, it turned out to be one of those rare times when the golf gods allow me to make the small adjustments needed to hit near perfect shots, to feel like I have some control over swinging a club, and to forget - even if just for a brief period of time - how difficult the game really is.

Next time out, it'll be back to normal. :)

Holy sh*t! It’s going to be May 1 on Thursday and you’re still getting snow?
Yup. Got 9 in tonight. Brought my toque and wool gloves as it was a little cool. Got the 9 in before the rain started. My goal is always bogey. I was three over my par for a 48. Duffed three short pitches that gave me doubles.

Just looked outside. We got an inch of heavy white stuff down. The city closed the munis for the next two days. Supposed to be getting 10 to 25 cms depending on how close you are to the mountains.

We do need the moisture. There are a bunch of fires that never went out over the winter with forest fire season officially started months earlier. Its gonna be a hot dry summer.

Yup. Got 9 in tonight. Brought my toque and wool gloves as it was a little cool. Got the 9 in before the rain started. My goal is always bogey. I was three over my par for a 48. Duffed three short pitches that gave me doubles.

Just looked outside. We got an inch of heavy white stuff down. The city closed the munis for the next two days. Supposed to be getting 10 to 25 cms depending on how close you are to the mountains.

We do need the moisture. There are a bunch of fires that never went out over the winter with forest fire season officially started months earlier. Its gonna be a hot dry summer.
Must be a short season?

Must be a short season. eh?

I had a long vacation and got to see the Calgary Stampede and Athabasca Glacier.
I also visited a neighborhood park that was the nesting area of Baird's Sparrow.
Great place to visit in the summer.

Wish I could send some of our moisture your way. My course is soaked with water!

Last edited:
Rained yesterday and All weekend. Winds dropping down to 7-11 this afternoon. Course drains well. Ought to be conducive to decent scoring with a moderate spin ball.

Just what the doctor ordered.

After we had dinner, cleaned up and my better half had gone to bed, I decided to work on my game. The chipping and pitching practice area in the yard is currently overrun by morel mushrooms so I'm trying to stay out of there. And besides, that part of my game has held up ok in 2024. So, I decided to once again work on my piss-poor iron game - only this time, do the exact opposite of what seems logical.

Instead of grabbing one of my graphite shafted SGI gamers, I instead picked up the first club I'd ever built... a 6i Maltby MMB-17 blade on a Nippon N.S.Pro 8950 steel shaft. And since I was so intent on wreaking havoc on my arthritic knuckles and joints, why not go all the way and bring the 1983 Hogan Radial 5i along just to make things really interesting.

I then headed out to the field to figure out what the hell has been going on with my iron swing. The sun had just started to set but I still had plenty of light to find and hit a few dozen golf balls. The first few shots with the Hogan were weak, thin pushes but at least they weren't shanks. In fact, they were actually hitting center of face, just low. I straightened the shots out and then started flushing shots, one after the other. If you've never hit a Radial, even the long irons produce a nice high ball flight when struck right. I then went out to collect the balls and hit them back.

I had found that mythical groove. The shots were a mix of usable, slightly off-center shots and a couple mishits, but mostly those wonderful, flushed shots that would fly high and draw slightly to my target area. Damn... that was a feeling I hadn't experienced a lot of during the last couple rounds and practices. I then tempted fate by hitting a few with the Maltby 6 iron - a club I don't normally hit that well - only to experience those same flushed shots right at the target.

There wasn't a soul out there, no distractions or negative thoughts, a light breeze and relatively warm temps. For some reason, I felt more aware of what my arms were doing in the backswing, my hip turn, and in getting my weight to shift forward just a little on the downswing. While it was only a few dozen shots, it turned out to be one of those rare times when the golf gods allow me to make the small adjustments needed to hit near perfect shots, to feel like I have some control over swinging a club, and to forget - even if just for a brief period of time - how difficult the game really is.

Next time out, it'll be back to normal. :)
Way to go @JonMA1, just keep doing what you did. Of course you will sleep before you go back out and forget what you found. That's what always happens to me. Anyway glad you hit some good shots.

Last edited:
Hurt myself at the gym last Friday. Trainer asked if I was ok, I took a golf swing and said, I should be ok. Went to pick up the weight and THAT wasn’t happening.

After not playing for 4 years I went out before the injury and was playing fine… to my surprise. This week still no gym since it’s still sore but I played 18 yesterday and 9 today walking as usual. Scores have been great like I never took anytime off.

One thing I did this year just because I follow Kyle Berkshire is tried going down a flex with my driver even though my swing speed said no. And I’m lovin it… I can feel the loading, the distance is the same and I’m not swinging 100% right now, and I’m hitting almost every fairway.

Hey all, just joined. thought I'd see what all the latest is.

Lancaster, SC
Welcome.

Isn’t ”Wicked Stick” a course in the Myrtle Beach area? Allegedly John Daly gave his input in the design, if I recall correctly. Any connection to your “handle”?

Welcome.

Isn’t ”Wicked Stick” a course in the Myrtle Beach area? Allegedly John Daly gave his input in the design, if I recall correctly. Any connection to your “handle”?
That course closed about 5-6 years ago. It‘s a housing development now. I used to love that place… wide open, swing away and go low. 😢

That course closed about 5-6 years ago. It‘s a housing development now. I used to love that place… wide open, swing away and go low. 😢
I sort of suspected that might be the case. I also played some of the “Bay Tree” courses, which I think are also gone.

Hey all, just joined. thought I'd see what all the latest is.

Lancaster, SC
Welcome to the over 60 thread Stick. If you go back and read the OP you’ll see why I started it.
It’s turned out way better than I could have imagined. We have a great group of guys here, and it has become sort of a brotherhood amongst the regulars.
We talk about our games, equipment we use, our aches and pains, and try to help each other get better at this frustrating game.
I might be biased, but for my money it’s the best and most popular golf specific thread on the ste. Look at the # of posts here. Other than the giveaway threads (which most of us don’t care about)… I think it is.

Last edited:
I sort of suspected that might be the case. I also played some of the “Bay Tree” courses, which I think are also gone.
Yes Bay Tee is closed too. It was known amongst the locals as the place for the “secret” money games that went on there. (I’m talking up to $25,000 purses) that guys would come from all over the Carolinas to play.

Last edited:
Demo’ed the Cleveland Zip Core irons on steel shafts yesterday. Same issue I’m having with my gamers… hitting all over the face resulting in hooks and shanks. Maybe 1 swing out of 10 was decent.
May try the Halos but I’ll probably end up just building a set of Maltby TS3. Equipment isn’t the issue.

Was hitting the GW and 9i from my old set of Adams a4’s last night and was hitting them very well. So I’m struggling to hit my gamers and the latest tech but can hit older heads on steel shafts… not sure what that’s about.

Last edited:
Back