The 60 and over Thread

Yes, coastal MA is going to match the sim/trackman when it is set at sea level. Wiki says Ann Arbor is around 800 feet so my 182 yard drive is comparable to your 180 yard effort.
Be fun to play golf at a few thousand feet. :golf:

Be fun to play golf at a few thousand feet. :golf:
Just remember, the further you hit it, the more off line it goes!

I too prefer a less "clunkier" club. That said, today's blade/MB's would be considered GI irons back in the day. Here is what everyone played at one time, regardless of skill level:

View attachment 9250662
That’s why I didn’t like golf when I was 7 years old!

I see the young guys decided to brutalize me today. They have Sutton Bay planned for todays sim round.
At 7287 yards.
I will certainly have ample opportunity to hit the new 4 hybrid on approaches. LOL.
Bloodletting starts at 0800.

I see the young guys decided to brutalize me today. They have Sutton Bay planned for todays sim round.
At 7287 yards.
I will certainly have ample opportunity to hit the new 4 hybrid on approaches. LOL.
Bloodletting starts at 0800.
I played a sim round from about that yardage...I wanted to get in some fairway wood practice in, and I sure did, lol. I did break 90 though.

I played a sim round from about that yardage...I wanted to get in some fairway wood practice in, and I sure did, lol. I did break 90 though.
I had one hole I drove OB twice....
Then my head was in the wrong place for a few holes. More Poor driving. Which kills me not hitting a good tee ball when getting home in regulation can be iffy even with a decent drive.
And another lopsided number.
Then I slapped myself upside the head and got my act together. 86, thanks to my short game being ok today. Not great but at least it was in attendance.
I really like that G425 4 hybrid. It might be bagged more than planned. 3rd 9 we played a more reasonable length, around 3150. Money games were over so I played the 4H off the tee just to get better acquainted. I hit some really good tee balls turning it over, 230- 240. Crazy distance for a 4 for me. Meanwhile just playing a baby cut i got the 205 us carry i bought it for. So versatile, but that is a huge difference in distance for me. Usually my turn and burn is 20 yards or so more , not 30.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that one of the guys father in law showed up with a Paradym 11 wood. It is HOT! I hit it for yuks a half dozen times. Whoa Nellie! 180-190 carry that drops from the stratosphere. Peak height was 150-155. Insane. Would be a great addition to the bag for anyone struggling with mid irons.

I traded in some stuff today Paradym 7W (that was all over the place distance wise), Rogue ST OS 4&5hybrids, a Callaway wedge and a E722 56*) which came out to be $320 in credit and used $80 in reward points this morning and ordered a Paradym driver for $449. My total out of pocket was $50 w/tax.
I got it with the 10.5* with Aldila Ascent in A flex.
I’m hoping it will be good enough to move my G425 Max to my backup “Long Island bag” which won’t be an easy task.

Last edited:
I had one hole I drove OB twice....
Then my head was in the wrong place for a few holes. More Poor driving. Which kills me not hitting a good tee ball when getting home in regulation can be iffy even with a decent drive.
And another lopsided number.
Then I slapped myself upside the head and got my act together. 86, thanks to my short game being ok today. Not great but at least it was in attendance.
I really like that G425 4 hybrid. It might be bagged more than planned. 3rd 9 we played a more reasonable length, around 3150. Money games were over so I played the 4H off the tee just to get better acquainted. I hit some really good tee balls turning it over, 230- 240. Crazy distance for a 4 for me. Meanwhile just playing a baby cut i got the 205 us carry i bought it for. So versatile, but that is a huge difference in distance for me. Usually my turn and burn is 20 yards or so more , not 30.
I had an Adams 4h, I loved. 190 straight and a high fade 180 that rolled about 5 ft. About 15 years ago.

The kickpoint is where shafts alter launch and spin. Lower kick points mean higher launch and more spin. The shaft you said you like is a " high" launch, which means that it would have a lower kick point and more spin. More backspin creates a higher, straighter flight.
The problem is, there is no industry standard to denote what is a high, midhigh, or whatever launch. HZDRUS says the smoke red is a mid/high. But for me it launches higher than what ping says is it's stock high launching shaft. I am not one to hit a driver with a ascending blow unless it's in a scramble and we have a good one in play so it's KILL time. I need some kick and spin.
HZDRUS Red is a fantastic shaft for a number of guys I know, despite it not being one you see a lot of in the wild. I can get my G430 to go either way with it, while still maintaining the height I need.
@JonMA1 I’m going to second this.
The driver I ordered today has the Ascent 40 in it, but I’ll be swapping that with my buddy who is getting a Cobra DarkSpeed with the Hzrdus Red 50.
I would’ve had to wait 6-8 weeks minimum to get it in the Callaway Paradym and he couldn’t get the Ascent in his Cobra. We just need to take the shafts to our local fitter and have him switch the adaptors.

Many golfers including pros use shortened driver shafts to make more center contact. Average for the PGA tour is 44.75" according to Golf.com.
I e been at 43.5” for a long time. Works for me.
i was refitted for my ai smoke max d driver and woods. i changed from the cypher II 40 gram at standard length to the tensei blue 55 at 46 ... and my woods were 1/2 inch over standard with tensei blue 65 vs the cypher 50 ngram. i picked up more clubhead speeds, my issue was lack of distance with high ballooning ball flight . t i use golf pride CP2 Jumbos which are like 30 grams heavier than standard , the heavier shaft and extra length helped me get swingweights in the d's from c3 to c5 . wil get some range time and 18 tomorrow .
I play my G425 Max driver 1/2 longer than standard. I’ve never had an issue with centering (relatively speaking).
We’re not Tour pros, lol. When your swing speed is in the 80’s you should be doing everything to try to maximize launch and carry. We don’t hit the ball far enough to go “too far offline” unless a swing is so bad it wouldn’t matter if we hit a 40” hybrid shaft.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if I’ve managed to unlock the secret decoder ring to the magic distance equation. The real clue was playing 11 at the club into the wind. (See attached.). 421 uphill, playing somewhere between 440 and 450 and usually, including today, into the wind. Last year I could count on less than all my fingers all the time I reached it in 2. So today, I came close, but I am still sitting at zero. I did make a par though.

Attachments

• IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 7
I’m wondering if I’ve managed to unlock the secret decoder ring to the magic distance equation. The real clue was playing 11 at the club into the wind. (See attached.). 421 uphill, playing somewhere between 440 and 450 and usually, including today, into the wind. Last year I could count on less than all my fingers all the time I reached it in 2. So today, I came close, but I am still sitting at zero. I did make a par though.
Is that a par 5 from the Senior tees?

Par 4. Might be the toughest par 4 in Dayton.
That’s a (and I’m being kind here) crazy par 4 from Senior tees. “421 uphill playing 440 to 450…”
That’s a Bethpage Black type hole. From the whites.

That’s a (and I’m being kind here) crazy par 4 from Senior tees. “421 uphill playing 440 to 450…”
That’s a Bethpage Black type hole. From the whites.
441 Gold tees, 431 Blue tees, 421 White tees, 411 Green tees. I play whites (5900 yards). It’s a par 5 for the women.

Seriously. They whites should be at 411 and the green tees need to be at 350.

A younger buddy of mine and I got a time at The Orchards, Washington MI For Good Friday. All of our usual gang cant make it if any of you are interested in playing a really nice course in 40-55 degree temps. We will probably be playing at 6400 some yards, but it plays shorter due to many elevated tees.
Other than that damn, long, uphill par 4 #9 which assures they will sell lots of drinks at the turn.......... :eek:

I traded in some stuff today Paradym 7W (that was all over the place distance wise), Rogue ST OS 4&5hybrids, a Callaway wedge and a E722 56*) which came out to be $320 in credit and used $80 in reward points this morning and ordered a Paradym driver for $449. My total out of pocket was $50 w/tax.
I got it with the 10.5* with Aldila Ascent in A flex.
I’m hoping it will be good enough to move my G425 Max to my backup “Long Island bag” which won’t be an easy task.
At least it will sound better.

At least it will sound better.
Sound was the only reason I swapped my G525 Max for a G430. They are back to kind of obnoxious with the 10K, but I don't care for it anyhow. I hit a lot of pushes with it with any shaft. Not a fade, just not getting the face closed so my in to out path went straight right, not the baby draw I have been hitting the last few years when I get the face squared up and the in to out path.. I think its because its so long heel to toe. Even shafts with different torques didn't help me alleviate the problem.

Sound was the only reason I swapped my G525 Max for a G430. They are back to kind of obnoxious with the 10K, but I don't care for it anyhow. I hit a lot of pushes with it with any shaft. Not a fade, just not getting the face closed so my in to out path went straight right, not the baby draw I have been hitting the last few years when I get the face squared up and the in to out path.. I think its because its so long heel to toe. Even shafts with different torques didn't help me alleviate the problem.
I did notice 425 was very stable but hard to "Work" left or right unless really aggressive with Wrists.

Played this morning in fairly cool temps (40's). Played the course at 6,033 yards,par 71. At that length, and considering the temps,wind and spongy course, I am at my limit distancewise. First par-3 at 192 yards required a very well struck 3-wood. The last par-3 was 227 yards. I nutted a driver and ended up 4 feet from the hole (yes, I missed the putt). I have told myself that when I can't reach a par-3 with a driver, it is time to move up. It is getting close to that time with Hudson Mills.

Back