EXPERIENCE The 2024 Titleist Vokey Experience

Haven't had my fitting yet...should be sometime next week... very excited

For those of you who have had your outdoor fittings, how does using, what I presume are range balls, fit into the equation? It would seem like it would be an apples to oranges comparison if it is not possible to use a ball at least similar to what is actually played.
For my fitting I hit all the balls I hit were Pro-V1's. I was surprised that at the beginning he asked me what I usually hit...to which I said both Pro-V1's and X's, but that I tend to over-spin the ball. He said the standard would probably be better for me so let's do all testing with that. All the balls were marked with a large black dot so I'm not sure if they were irregular in any way but they seemed good to me. Another aspect of why this was the best fitting I've ever done.

Mine session was with range balls. Mike had me hit a few with my PW, to establish a known distance. The numbers I told him for PW real world matched the Sky Tracker data minus some yards. We worked from there.

When hitting full shots we were allowing for some range ball shortness and I was under the impression the gaps there would translate to real balls with more distance. Mike was huge on turf interaction and where the ball was marking on the club face. He saw enough that we did bend the 54 one degree strong for gapping.

I guess we’ll find out in about 3 weeks 🔥 - did I say I was pumped yet? My buddies are sick of hearing about the event. 😂 THP will get a few new members as a result and Titliest is doing a fitting at my club - they signed up based on my experience.

For those of you who have had your outdoor fittings, how does using, what I presume are range balls, fit into the equation? It would seem like it would be an apples to oranges comparison if it is not possible to use a ball at least similar to what is actually played.
Where is your fitting at? When I did one a few years back at the Titleist Thursday at River Oaks they had some ProV1s to hit.

Where is your fitting at? When I did one a few years back at the Titleist Thursday at River Oaks they had some ProV1s to hit.
My fitting is at Eaglewood Golf Course in North Salt Lake. It is close to home. It used to be my home course. I would be surprised if they are using ProV1s there, but would be delighted.

Weather came in and it was snowing locally today, so my fitter moved my fitting indoors. He used TrackMan with the Titleist wedge app. I am fine with that, because to me, it was really important to be using a tour level ball to gauge spin and ball speeds.

I started out hitting a couple of my own wedges. Luckily, I brought a decent swing with me today. I have gone in for fittings previously where I was in a place that I was fighting my swing and it has felt deflating. Today, I was seeing the exact ball flight and delivery that I have been playing for some time. The ball was a Pro V1.

We had a nice discussion about my clubs, my game, my strengths and weaknesses. We talked about course conditions. He put information regarding all of this into the app.

We started with the gap wedge and it was an easy fit, right into the 48*. The numbers were pretty much exactly what what I have seen previously with my own gap wedge.

We then moved into the next wedge and he felt I should be in a 54* M grind. I have been playing a 52*, but he wanted me to try a 54*, bent one degree strong, to give me more versatility. Obviously, I am going to listen to the pro and I went with it. The delivery and numbers were good. It looks like it will gap.

Finally, we tried a couple of different grinds in the 58*, but the M grind was the clear winner, not a surprise. The determination was made using full swings and partial shots.

We then tried a couple of different shafts. Some of the consideration was wanting to get the weight a bit closer to my iron shafts (89 grams). In the end, though, my delivery and consistency was better with the stock 115 gram wedge shafts.

The last thing was lie. We hit some shots after moving to a one degree flat lie and the difference was noticeable.

So, in the end, I will be playing the nickel finish, one degree flat, MCC Plus 4 grips in the following:

48* F
54* M, bent to 53*
58*.

I enjoyed the experience and am really looking forward to seeing how that M grind works out on the course. I am really grateful to Titleist, @JB, @GolferGal and others at THP for this opportunity. It is going to be a blast.

This was the summary of my fitting that I received via email:

IMG_1783.jpeg

Not surprised about the M grind there.

I can't wait for this event next month but it's already beginning. I had my wedge fitting and was amazed at how good it was, probably the best fitting experience I've ever had (I've never done a wedge fitting before but a lot for other clubs).

We started hitting my PW for a baseline, then a Vokey 46* to see how that compared. We decided to stick with my PW but I've got a 50, 54 and 58 to look forward to. It was amazing to see how the different grinds worked with the turf interaction. There was some launch monitor data but a lot of it was based on feel and how the ball came off the club. Some grinds I just couldn't get one the sweet spot (normally too high on the face) and others felt perfect every time.

After about 50 minutes on the range we had it narrowed down when he asked what I struggled the most with. For me it's a tight lie chip shot and less than full swings. We were off to a chipping green to hit some tight lies with 2 different 58's. A few shots in it was obvious which one was right for me. Next we went out to one of the holes and hit about 15 shots from 75, 50, and 30 yards. Again it really helped to confirm which bounce works best for me. In the end my new 50* has more bounce than previous, the 54* is exactly what I'm currently playing, and the 58* has less bounce. Not at all what I expected.

To top it off the personalization Titleist is letting us do is off the charts to. I got to choose the nickel finish, he recommended matching my iron shaft in the 50*, getting 1/2" longer than standard, and I'm stamping my nickname on them.

I'd highly recommend the Titleist wedge fitting to everyone as I know it's going to help my game. If you're in Southern California and can get Jim Pooler to do it I wouldn't hesitate. He's off the charts good at this - so much so that I'm probably going to do a driver fitting with him because I know he fit me correctly.
Dude. That sounds amazing. So cool they really know what they are doing.

Weather came in and it was snowing locally today, so my fitter moved my fitting indoors. He used TrackMan with the Titleist wedge app. I am fine with that, because to me, it was really important to be using a tour level ball to gauge spin and ball speeds.

I started out hitting a couple of my own wedges. Luckily, I brought a decent swing with me today. I have gone in for fittings previously where I was in a place that I was fighting my swing and it has felt deflating. Today, I was seeing the exact ball flight and delivery that I have been playing for some time. The ball was a Pro V1.

We had a nice discussion about my clubs, my game, my strengths and weaknesses. We talked about course conditions. He put information regarding all of this into the app.

We started with the gap wedge and it was an easy fit, right into the 48*. The numbers were pretty much exactly what what I have seen previously with my own gap wedge.

We then moved into the next wedge and he felt I should be in a 54* M grind. I have been playing a 52*, but he wanted me to try a 54*, bent one degree strong, to give me more versatility. Obviously, I am going to listen to the pro and I went with it. The delivery and numbers were good. It looks like it will gap.

Finally, we tried a couple of different grinds in the 58*, but the M grind was the clear winner, not a surprise. The determination was made using full swings and partial shots.

We then tried a couple of different shafts. Some of the consideration was wanting to get the weight a bit closer to my iron shafts (89 grams). In the end, though, my delivery and consistency was better with the stock 115 gram wedge shafts.

The last thing was lie. We hit some shots after moving to a one degree flat lie and the difference was noticeable.

So, in the end, I will be playing the nickel finish, one degree flat, MCC Plus 4 grips in the following:

48* F
54* M, bent to 53*
58*.

I enjoyed the experience and am really looking forward to seeing how that M grind works out on the course. I am really grateful to Titleist, @JB, @GolferGal and others at THP for this opportunity. It is going to be a blast.
Nice recap

Titleist is doing a wonderful job of keeping us informed as to the status of our wedges that we ordered.

IMG_6621.png

Titleist is doing a wonderful job of keeping us informed as to the status of our wedges that we ordered.

View attachment 9255911
Yes, Titleist has been awesome through the whole process. It took only 3 business day for my clubs to be finished and shipped out (and I think I got 4 updates along the way). Now I just can't wait to get them at the event!!

I'm Ready!

1712847432760.png

go go go GIF

So, my fitting was a week ago Friday and my wedges shipped today, headed to THP headquarters in Ponte Vedra, FL.

IMG_6622.png

Fitting in about 4 hours..... it's very hard to get any work done today.

So I was finally able to complete my fitting for the SM10's after a few delays. Now it's April here in the midwest and although we had some decent weather in March it hasn't been so kind in April. We've had quite a bit of rain so far and today was a pretty windy day. I was originally slated to be one of earlier fittings but due to weather I became one of the last. Which frankly I'm okay with because my game has disappeared.

I was set up with Matt DiGiovanni to complete my fitting today at St Charles Country Club (private). I arrived and got warmed up and let me tell you, this place was nice compared to what I normally play on. Now I can into this with a topped shot and a heel shot that that have cause problems with the 27 holes I've played so far this spring. Now after a few shots Matt had me figured out, I was way too out on my toes and casting the club trying to catch up. After his tweaks I was right back into seeing my normal shots.

Now combined with his expertise, the trackman and the Vokey app I hit a series of shots with each club to get dialed in. Full shots, pitch shots, chips, etc. After confirming my gapping we decided the 50 was plenty and I was carrying the club 115 yards and was giving me ample distance between the sand wedge and the pitching wedge. After all the data analysis and shots he recommended I got with a 50.12F with a Nippon Modus 125 wedge shaft, a 54.12S with Nippon Modus 125 wedge shaft and a 58.14K with the same Modus 125 wedge shaft, all standard lie and 0.5" long.

I thought I was a bit of a sweeper but he said with my wedges I was actually taking some divots and getting a slight angle of attack. He was please with my numbers and felt even in the firmer conditions I play the extra bounce could help on the 58.14 and would allow me to use my standard square face shots for normal rounds. The extra bounce would be pretty beneficial if I had some travel rounds o0r if I learned to open up the wedge a bit.

Matt did a wonderful job and I'm pleased where we ended up. I was a bit surprised at no M grind but the shots definitely felt crisp and controlled. Looking forward to getting these SM10's into play!!!

My bad, forgot to mention, Nickel finish all the way. I was debating on the black finish but Matt convinced me to go Nickel as they wouldn't show wear as much.

So I was finally able to complete my fitting for the SM10's after a few delays. Now it's April here in the midwest and although we had some decent weather in March it hasn't been so kind in April. We've had quite a bit of rain so far and today was a pretty windy day. I was originally slated to be one of earlier fittings but due to weather I became one of the last. Which frankly I'm okay with because my game has disappeared.

I was set up with Matt DiGiovanni to complete my fitting today at St Charles Country Club (private). I arrived and got warmed up and let me tell you, this place was nice compared to what I normally play on. Now I can into this with a topped shot and a heel shot that that have cause problems with the 27 holes I've played so far this spring. Now after a few shots Matt had me figured out, I was way too out on my toes and casting the club trying to catch up. After his tweaks I was right back into seeing my normal shots.

Now combined with his expertise, the trackman and the Vokey app I hit a series of shots with each club to get dialed in. Full shots, pitch shots, chips, etc. After confirming my gapping we decided the 50 was plenty and I was carrying the club 115 yards and was giving me ample distance between the sand wedge and the pitching wedge. After all the data analysis and shots he recommended I got with a 50.12F with a Nippon Modus 125 wedge shaft, a 54.12S with Nippon Modus 125 wedge shaft and a 58.14K with the same Modus 125 wedge shaft, all standard lie and 0.5" long.

I thought I was a bit of a sweeper but he said with my wedges I was actually taking some divots and getting a slight angle of attack. He was please with my numbers and felt even in the firmer conditions I play the extra bounce could help on the 58.14 and would allow me to use my standard square face shots for normal rounds. The extra bounce would be pretty beneficial if I had some travel rounds o0r if I learned to open up the wedge a bit.

Matt did a wonderful job and I'm pleased where we ended up. I was a bit surprised at no M grind but the shots definitely felt crisp and controlled. Looking forward to getting these SM10's into play!!!

My bad, forgot to mention, Nickel finish all the way. I was debating on the black finish but Matt convinced me to go Nickel as they wouldn't show wear as much.
Great recap and I'm glad we've all had great experiences just getting fit - it shows Titleist knows what they're doing. I'm sure the event itself will be even better!

Titleist definitely has a great group of fitters across the country. I have been very impressed both personally and reading others reports.

So very excited that this experience starts two weeks from tomorrow. This is going to be so much fun.

Loving the write ups of the fittings. I can’t wait to hear how the new wedges work out at Ballyhack. I hear that hitting the greens may not be an easy task, so break out those wedges!

Also, customization wedge pics. Definitely need to see some of those 😊

Had my fitting last week. Just now getting enough time to write about it. My warm up was atrocious. I havent hit the ball that bad in so long. Thankfully finally started hitting decent when we started the fitting. Answered some questions at first. Then went into wedges that he thought would work based on questions. He used trackman to track the shots which changed my recommended wedges as we went along. Started with full shots then went to shorter shots. Jumped around grinds quite a bit to find something that I liked and performed like expected. Feel vs real was a thing. The wedges that had the best turf interaction didnt necessarily have the best results. I think in the end we settled on what fits best. I also got fitted into a 46 degree wedge. Pitching wedge is my most hated club in the bag. Felt way more confident with the vokey 46 wedge. Excited to hit it again. Also went with some new grips I've never used.

Had my fitting last week. Just now getting enough time to write about it. My warm up was atrocious. I havent hit the ball that bad in so long. Thankfully finally started hitting decent when we started the fitting. Answered some questions at first. Then went into wedges that he thought would work based on questions. He used trackman to track the shots which changed my recommended wedges as we went along. Started with full shots then went to shorter shots. Jumped around grinds quite a bit to find something that I liked and performed like expected. Feel vs real was a thing. The wedges that had the best turf interaction didnt necessarily have the best results. I think in the end we settled on what fits best. I also got fitted into a 46 degree wedge. Pitching wedge is my most hated club in the bag. Felt way more confident with the vokey 46 wedge. Excited to hit it again. Also went with some new grips I've never used.

I was fitted at Wildwood country club in Louisville. Right next to the range one of the holes borders it on the right side. I will admit that during my warm-up session the fitter had to yell fore as a bladed hozzel rocket went head hunting. 😂 it was a little embarrassing, but he told me every time he breaks out the sky tracker people get a little nervous.

Luckily, the ball striking got a little better as I warmed up

I was fitted at Wildwood country club in Louisville. Right next to the range one of the holes borders it on the right side. I will admit that during my warm-up session the fitter had to yell fore as a bladed hozzel rocket went head hunting. 😂 it was a little embarrassing, but he told me every time he breaks out the sky tracker people get a little nervous.

Luckily, the ball striking got a little better as I warmed up
At least I'm not the only one :oops: My game is still in winter form and I was very nervous coming in. At one point he stuck a tee right next to the ball and told me not to hit his tee. It fixed it and got me calmed down to where I got some good data on the trackman and the app.

Two weeks from this very moment, we will be putting those new wedges to good use on a great track.

Back