Taylormade XFT Wedge

The reports came in late yesterday for what the 4 people thought about the wedge. All 4 golfers were around a 12 handicap and all 4 normally use Titleist Vokey wedges.

They all preferred the feel of the XFT to their wedge.
They felt as though the Vokey spins more (more on that later)
They did not care for the cut out look of the cavity of the XFT (I kind of like it)
The face plate did not take anything away from the feel or performance.
They loved the replacement aspect. $45 is better than a new wedge each year.

The club they were testing has the new groove face plate in it and these golfers felt as though with chipping, that they were not checking up as much. Each one of these 4 players will be trying out the regular faceplate when we make the switch next week.

All four of them would change out from their current wedge due to feel and being cheaper long term.

I can't make up my mind on this concept.
First, I felt it was kind of gimmicky. Then I thought it was a cool idea. Now, I'm thinking, "Do I really need new grooves every year?", I like buying wedges.
I always have the same thought process with TM products (r7, agsi, r9) then once I try it, it goes in the bag every-time.

I usually find myself replacing my wedges every year or every other year. Atleast one of my wedges. The cost is what is intriguing to me. Plus the fact that they work as advertised so far.

We have 4 golfers playing with these wedges tomorrow with both conforming and non-conforming grooves.

Haven't seen these in the Northeast yet but am looking forward to giving them a shot...anything that keeps me from buying 3 new wedges every year is a great thing!

THey hit stores early next year. Our review will be up in a couple of weeks on them.

One more batch of testing will be done tomorrow and then the review will be up early next week.

One more batch of testing will be done tomorrow and then the review will be up early next week.

I look outside after I read this and I think that I really gotta get out of this state!

interesting

interesting

It is an interesting step in the evolution of wedges. The removable face seems new and different but I'm not really too sure how useful or practical it is. I can see the idea of replacing the face when the old one becomes worn but how many golfers are really going to do that? Most people I know only use their wedges for a couple of years before they decide to try the latest and greatest. Besides with the changes coming for the grooves I am sure that for the years to come there are going to be lots of new wedges that will hit the market that will be the "must have".
As well with the TM R&D machine constanly pushing out new equipment lines how long will it be before this one is relegated to the back of the bus making it difficult to find/purchase replacement parts.

It is an interesting step in the evolution of wedges. The removable face seems new and different but I'm not really too sure how useful or practical it is. I can see the idea of replacing the face when the old one becomes worn but how many golfers are really going to do that? Most people I know only use their wedges for a couple of years before they decide to try the latest and greatest. Besides with the changes coming for the grooves I am sure that for the years to come there are going to be lots of new wedges that will hit the market that will be the "must have".
As well with the TM R&D machine constanly pushing out new equipment lines how long will it be before this one is relegated to the back of the bus making it difficult to find/purchase replacement parts.
As long as it performs it shouldn't matter as the cost is right in line with other top tier wedges. I could see this being more of an issue if they were charging more for the technology than the other wedges on the market.

As long as it performs it shouldn't matter as the cost is right in line with other top tier wedges. I could see this being more of an issue if they were charging more for the technology than the other wedges on the market.

I agree with you completely. Testing was completed today. This one was one of the better TM wedges they have come up with in my opinion and that of a few testers. Surprisingly more feel than what many have felt in their wedge line in the past.

I'm looking forward to this review. I think it's a great innovation.

Has anyone seen these in stores yet? I heard they are releasing them in small bunches, with the 56* being the first out before Xmas.

Has anyone seen these in stores yet? I heard they are releasing them in small bunches, with the 56* being the first out before Xmas.

There press release on page 2 said the 56* would hit stores 12/1, but according to their marketing dept, it would be closer to the 15th.

oh i missed that page...thanx JB

did they say if all lofts would be released, or just the 56? JB

Hey JB,

Any comparisions you can offer betwen this one and the CG15 without giving up too much from the upcoming review?

did they say if all lofts would be released, or just the 56? JB

The first release is just the 56*. It is all on page 2 in the full release by them.

Hey JB,

Any comparisions you can offer betwen this one and the CG15 without giving up too much from the upcoming review?

They are both really good, but really different. I do not see people loving both. More one or the other. The Clevelands have a little better feel, but the TMs offer the interchangeable face plate.

Thanx JB...I finally took the time to read the entire press release, and found out more than I already knew. appreciate the direction.

JB,

Can you find out from TM how much bounce will be in their 64* XFT wedge? I checked on their website and all that is listed is 64*. Also, is the release date on the 56* actually set for 12/15 or is that just rumor?

Thanks in advance.

keith,
On page 2 of this thread is their press release. The 56* was scheduled to be out on the 1st, but we heard the 15th from others.

I just re-read the posts and saw the information on 56* release date so disregard that one JB.

JB

Read the full release and everything I wanted was already there. Lesson learned: read first; ask questions second :act-up:

Reactions: JB
No issues Keith. Review on these will be out this week.

I am looking forward to this review almost as much as the Niblick and CG15 reviews.

Back