TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

9 iron doesn't sound like enough club for a 154 yard shot.

Thanks for the update, buddy! We all have those days. Funny that I had mine a day or two before you did. I still hit some good shots, but I was strugglin for the most part. I don't think any iron would have helped me with the swings I was putting on the ball. I also had a 5 iron shot to remember. That's a fun club to hit well, isn't it?

well, I had my first bad day with my CB's yesterday but it was of no fault of the irons. my ball striking with my irons just went away, I couldnt really get it together. 2nd hole was a par 3 that read 154, I played a 9 iron and pushed it a bit right and ended up just short and right of the green, The shot felt very pure and was a user error, I got up and down for a par. 3rd hole was a par 5, I teed off to the middle of the fairway (loving the R11)...hit a smooth 8 iron to 150 again in the middle of the fairway. the pin was in the fron so I decided to take a PW and came up about 3 yards short but right on line. the ball flight and feel was again incredible. The course we played was not in very good condition but the smaller sole had no problem getting through the turf and allowing for me to put a god swing on the ball. the 4th hole was a par 4, it was playing rather short, so I took my 5 iron and was playing to the 150, well I absolutely nutted the ball and ended up about 100 from the pin and stuck one close. When I hit the 5 iron it felt so smooth and pure off the face, the ball flight was a very nice boaring trajectory. I was thinking it was just going to be a great da of golf for me...but then the wheels started coming off, I hit some really bad shots with my irons, I was coming from the outside in and just not putting a good swing on it. I did hit a shot with my 7 iron that I caught very thin, the ball went straight as an arrown and I ended up on the green, it was not pretty but I can say I was happy with the results as it was about 15 feet from the hole. Yet again, I walked away very impressed with my CB's just not a good ball striking day

9 iron doesn't sound like enough club for a 154 yard shot.
I guess it depends on who is swinging the club. If I had been on target, I would have hit the green and got some sort of a roll.

Thanks for the update, buddy! We all have those days. Funny that I had mine a day or two before you did. I still hit some good shots, but I was strugglin for the most part. I don't think any iron would have helped me with the swings I was putting on the ball. I also had a 5 iron shot to remember. That's a fun club to hit well, isn't it?

I agree Hawk, I love hitting that 5 iron, man it sure is a pure feeling. but you are right, I couldnt have hit any clubs great yesterday

great update One-T. Sounds like you still managed to hit some nice shots with these sticks which is always good to know when days like this creep up on you

well, I had my first bad day with my CB's yesterday but it was of no fault of the irons. my ball striking with my irons just went away, I couldnt really get it together. 2nd hole was a par 3 that read 154, I played a 9 iron and pushed it a bit right and ended up just short and right of the green, The shot felt very pure and was a user error, I got up and down for a par. 3rd hole was a par 5, I teed off to the middle of the fairway (loving the R11)...hit a smooth 8 iron to 150 again in the middle of the fairway. the pin was in the fron so I decided to take a PW and came up about 3 yards short but right on line. the ball flight and feel was again incredible. The course we played was not in very good condition but the smaller sole had no problem getting through the turf and allowing for me to put a god swing on the ball. the 4th hole was a par 4, it was playing rather short, so I took my 5 iron and was playing to the 150, well I absolutely nutted the ball and ended up about 100 from the pin and stuck one close. When I hit the 5 iron it felt so smooth and pure off the face, the ball flight was a very nice boaring trajectory. I was thinking it was just going to be a great da of golf for me...but then the wheels started coming off, I hit some really bad shots with my irons, I was coming from the outside in and just not putting a good swing on it. I did hit a shot with my 7 iron that I caught very thin, the ball went straight as an arrown and I ended up on the green, it was not pretty but I can say I was happy with the results as it was about 15 feet from the hole. Yet again, I walked away very impressed with my CB's just not a good ball striking day

great update One-T. Sounds like you still managed to hit some nice shots with these sticks which is always good to know when days like this creep up on you

thanks buddy, even though I had a sub par day of contact, I still did have some GREAT shots

Got to play my first round today with my new CB's. I can say that I really like them but like a couple of you other guys the last couple days I didn't have the best all striking day. I was driving the ball pretty well but think I was trying to hard with the irons. Maybe even overswinging a bit or trying to hard. Love the sound they do make on a well struck shot and how it's almost like not hitting anything on a pure strike. I don't want to really form to much of opinion on them until I play a couple more rounds and hopefully have a better ball striking day. Only thing I hate is I may not get to play again till next weekend. Boo! :D

J.C.

thanks for the honest feedback, I agree with the thin/fat shots comment. But I do have to say that I dont think these feel like Mizzies. I personally do not like the feel of Mizzies, I have said it all along. I love the feel of these so I guess there is no way I would compare the two.

I hope they don’t feel like the Mizzies. I hit the JPX 800 and didn’t care for the look and feel of them.
We had some unseasonably warm temps here this week – 56* in New Hampshire! I had hoped to get my three iron considerations (Cleveland CG16’s, Burner 2.0’s and the CB’s) out on the turf but my counterpart at work was in training so my ‘sick’ day didn’t happen.
I did get a chance to hit the Cleveland CG 16’s and the Burner 2.0’s this past weekend off the mat. I hit about 15-20 balls each, with the 6 iron and the PW. I know this isn’t a CG16/Burner 2.0 thread and I know the CG’s and 2.0 are GI as opposed to GE’s that the CB’s are but I can’t be the only one reading all three threads to help decide which club is best for me.
I went in thinking the CG16’s were tops on my list but, after hitting them, I came away with two things I didn’t care for – the top line was bigger than the 2.0’s and the feel wasn’t what I expected. The CG’s felt washed out. If I hit a complete beat or a decent shot, it felt the same. Flush shots felt flush but I think you can say that about any club. The 2.0 IMO gave more feedback on the type of strike I made. I also thought the CG’s ball flight was a little higher than the 2.0’s. I hit the ball high to begin with so that, to me, was a drawback. Distance between the two was similar, even on mishits.
There’s been quite a bit of discussion on whether the drop in distance, due to weaker lofts, is a trade-off worth making but in my situation I’m not sure it’s a consideration. I hit my 15-20 year old Silverscot 40* 8 iron 150 yards so the 41* 9 iron works for me. In fact the stronger lofts of the CG and 2.0 concern me with respect to the gapping I need for those crucial shots 120 yards and in.
The turf interaction is important to me too. I’m 6’3” and take moderate divots so how each manufacturer’s club feels s cutting the turf will be a factor. I hope to get out in the next couple of weeks and ‘turf’ all three irons and make my decision.

Wow!!! Went to our first Golfsmith in St. Louis and they had the CBs. Didn't get a chance to hit them, glad I didn't might had to buy them. But they look awesome!!!

Do these have a standard offset or are they less offset than the average iron?

They have pretty limited offset. Definitely less than many GI irons on the market.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

That happens at times and I hope your next trip out is better. Thanks for the update.

Got to play my first round today with my new CB's. I can say that I really like them but like a couple of you other guys the last couple days I didn't have the best all striking day. I was driving the ball pretty well but think I was trying to hard with the irons. Maybe even overswinging a bit or trying to hard. Love the sound they do make on a well struck shot and how it's almost like not hitting anything on a pure strike. I don't want to really form to much of opinion on them until I play a couple more rounds and hopefully have a better ball striking day. Only thing I hate is I may not get to play again till next weekend. Boo! :D

J.C.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Thanks for the great info. Hopefully you get a chance to hit them on the grass soon and stop back to fill us in.

I hope they don’t feel like the Mizzies. I hit the JPX 800 and didn’t care for the look and feel of them.
We had some unseasonably warm temps here this week – 56* in New Hampshire! I had hoped to get my three iron considerations (Cleveland CG16’s, Burner 2.0’s and the CB’s) out on the turf but my counterpart at work was in training so my ‘sick’ day didn’t happen.
I did get a chance to hit the Cleveland CG 16’s and the Burner 2.0’s this past weekend off the mat. I hit about 15-20 balls each, with the 6 iron and the PW. I know this isn’t a CG16/Burner 2.0 thread and I know the CG’s and 2.0 are GI as opposed to GE’s that the CB’s are but I can’t be the only one reading all three threads to help decide which club is best for me.
I went in thinking the CG16’s were tops on my list but, after hitting them, I came away with two things I didn’t care for – the top line was bigger than the 2.0’s and the feel wasn’t what I expected. The CG’s felt washed out. If I hit a complete beat or a decent shot, it felt the same. Flush shots felt flush but I think you can say that about any club. The 2.0 IMO gave more feedback on the type of strike I made. I also thought the CG’s ball flight was a little higher than the 2.0’s. I hit the ball high to begin with so that, to me, was a drawback. Distance between the two was similar, even on mishits.
There’s been quite a bit of discussion on whether the drop in distance, due to weaker lofts, is a trade-off worth making but in my situation I’m not sure it’s a consideration. I hit my 15-20 year old Silverscot 40* 8 iron 150 yards so the 41* 9 iron works for me. In fact the stronger lofts of the CG and 2.0 concern me with respect to the gapping I need for those crucial shots 120 yards and in.
The turf interaction is important to me too. I’m 6’3” and take moderate divots so how each manufacturer’s club feels s cutting the turf will be a factor. I hope to get out in the next couple of weeks and ‘turf’ all three irons and make my decision.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Actually, much less offset when compared to their counterparts. I know that the CB's hace 2.2 mm of offset. Mizuno MP63's have 1.9 mm so these babies have very little.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Im holding a 2.0 8 iron in one hand and a CG16 iron in the other hand, and they look to have a really similar top line size to me. I think the two tone finish might have something to do with giving off the appearance that it is smaller.

We have giant threads on both sets if you want to check those out.

Im holding a 2.0 8 iron in one hand and a CG16 iron in the other hand, and they look to have a really similar top line size to me. I think the two tone finish might have something to do with giving off the appearance that it is smaller.

They are giant and great! I've been browsing all three for weeks now.

Im holding a 2.0 8 iron in one hand and a CG16 iron in the other hand

Do you know how to type with your feet if you can type with clubs in both hands? Wow, you're even more talented than I thought.

Do you know how to type with your feet if you can type with clubs in both hands? Wow, you're even more talented than I thought.

No, but I have talk to text on Android.

To be fair, I don't really like the JPX 800's either and they aren't what I mean when I talk about the feel of Mizzie's. I was thinking more along the lines of MP53's. Good luck with the testing mate!

One T: I think the fairly different feel vibes we're getting from these once again shows why it's so important to test out all the perspective irons first.

Went out for one last practice round before the season starts tomorrow (weather permitting). Hit the ball pretty well, but I've had better days. Wind was not so kind and my distance suffered a bit because of it. I tried to club up and use the 'if it's breezy, swing easy' thing and it seemed to help me, but my ball flight on well struck shots is pretty high either way. Something I need to work on. The good thing about the wind is that I got a chance to get my distances dialed in when I'm hitting into it. My macho side keeps telling me that I need an 8 iron, but the wind tells me I need a 7 iron. I just need to learn to accept it for what it is. So, now I know what to hit into greens tomorrow.

I wasn't spot on accurate like I wanted to be today, but I found more often than not that I would be either on the green or very close. Thin shots were still the most forgiving miss and anything fat or off the toe were more punishing. There is no doubt that these clubs need a good swing to perform well and they can be more punishing on mis hits that some of the GI/SGI irons I've played in the past. That shouldn't be a surprise though. I just need to make sure I swing the club right hehe.

I'm still loving the feel, sleek looks, and ball flight from these (as long as it's not directly the wind). I feel very comfortable with them in my hands and am liking the way the shaft performs quite a bit. Hoping for a good day tomorrow with lots of iron shots. I'll be playing a much longer course than the one that I've been on, so should be able to use my whole bag.

Hi folks,
I hit these today at a demo. For those of you thinking about new irons, DO NOT OVERLOOK these. I loved the MC but these are really nice. They DO offer forgiveness and they are going to be long enough. Solid irons. You will see a lot of people leaving stores with TM product, as I predict this line will sell quite well.

I went back yesterday and took a closer look, taking note of the two tone finish and I still think the CG's are thicker. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I went back yesterday and took a closer look, taking note of the two tone finish and I still think the CG's are thicker. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I have a CG16 7iron from the play it forward program and I would agree with you, it appears to be a bit thicker (overall) than the 2.0.

So I finally got to demo all of the tour pref irons yesterday and the CBs were the ones that standed out the most to me. I started out with the long irons and had to get used to looking down at the slight cavity back of the clubs. These clubs were not incredibly long but they were very accurate and had a superb feel. I preferred hitting the short irons the most, as they gave me a great ability to crunch down on the ball and stop the ball on a dime. I would consider getting a half and half set of 2.0s for my long irons and CBs for my short irons.

So I finally got to demo all of the tour pref irons yesterday and the CBs were the ones that standed out the most to me. I started out with the long irons and had to get used to looking down at the slight cavity back of the clubs. These clubs were not incredibly long but they were very accurate and had a superb feel. I preferred hitting the short irons the most, as they gave me a great ability to crunch down on the ball and stop the ball on a dime. I would consider getting a half and half set of 2.0s for my long irons and CBs for my short irons.

Interesting idea but I think it would be reallly hard to get decent gaps. You might even have to go say AW-8 iron CB, 8 iron-4 iron 2.0. It would be weird to have two 8 irons in your bag but it would work maybe.

I don't understand why one would want a mixed bag. If the long irons of the CB's provide difficulties then get a set of 2.0's.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Back